Dornier Do 18-D *Finished*

On 07/12/2017 at 4:12 PM, giemme said:

All looking good under a primer coat

Grazie Giorgio.

There is something seductive about the primer stage isn't there? Like those CAD renders in grey of a kit before it comes out...

22 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Did someone say paint? 

Yay! Some Iwata time today!:elephant:

38029040435_142ec32f82_c.jpg

19 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Fantastic stuff, keep it gooin.

Try stopping me old fruit!

The bit is firmly between the old gnashers to get this baby launched before the GB terminates...

19 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Taking shape quite nicely there Tony.

Why thank-you. I've been working out you know...:lol:

17 hours ago, bbudde said:

a bit of R&B, that occupied my head only

And now occupying mine too Benedikt - it's playing as I'm typing this! 

Ooh but that's good music. Is it too early for a rum?:hmmm:

17 hours ago, CedB said:

I missed the step by step on the bending and soldering of the wire stand and the molding on the feet

Err.

Err.

Oh, you mean the gun mounting thing?

It so t'was just freehand bending between flathead pliers until "about right".

Some brass rod arrived today that may prove handy in building the loop the gun barrel racks through -  @hendie must posess some kind of telekinetic power because every time he suggests an item (such as that), my hand ends moving to click the 'Paypal' button on something. As for @perdu, his powers are equally svengali-ish in the matter of chisels, vacforming and resins...

19 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

We’re incognito

By the lido

Are there any lidos left in England at all these days?

I remember the Surbiton Lagoon near us as a kid, summer in the city back in the early 70s with The Sweet and T.Rex banging out of tinny transistors as you ran around screaming with your eyes full of chlorine...

16 hours ago, Thom216 said:

I think we may have to ask you to leave...

You remember the glider in Colditz right?

This is my way out of here to a new life in -

- no, wait. It is just a model.

That's not going to work.

7 hours ago, jrlx said:

Look superb under the coat of primer!

Primer: the healing balm for abused plastic...:cyclops:

And from Optimus Primer to Hellboyblau.

Opening with a bit of a felt buffing to get it all tattifilarious:

24050877847_aa5998b884_c.jpg

Unleash the Iwata:

24050879137_9abc704446_c.jpg

You'll recollect that I prefer mixing paint on the aircraft, not beforehand.  Rather than going to all the trouble of mixing to a uniform colour prior to spraying and then having to reintroduce tonal/hue variations later, I prefer to build such things into the primary painting process. Initially in the photo above, a quick dapple with some XF17 to get a feel for pressures and brush actions. The aim here is to try and express a kind of underlying semi-fractal feel to the colouration, at all costs avoiding any sense of deliberation or regularity to the resultant patterning:

38029041105_40ee242beb_c.jpg

What I'm trying to avoid is any idea of pre-shading panel lines - if it happens accidentally in a few places fine, but I wan't to keep the rectilinearity at bay at this stage as much as possible.:nerdy:

Also varying pressures and amounts between the two wings to avoid mirroring the two sides, here beginning a second pass with mine own unholy brew of hellblau-ish RLM65 cobbled together from XF23, XF82, and a soupçon of XF17:

24050880527_363d7f5657_c.jpg

A third pass over the top with my a more strident caustic layer of XF23 on it's own:

38029041715_314e062d70_c.jpg

The thing about this 'gradualist' approach is to try and avoid rushing the process but instead to overdo the detailing, knowing that it can be knocked back in increments. Note also the change in patterning from leading edge to trailing edge, again avoiding any single motif or regular pattern appearing:

24050881717_d4603decb6_c.jpg

24050882587_7f3ae2fa3a_c.jpg

Another benefit of the gradualist approach is that if like me you're a clumsy git who forgets to put the lid on the paint cup sometimes and this happens:

24050883527_e83c3c6c29_c.jpg

Splosh! 

Then that can be blended back in without marring your perfect uniform layer.

At this point in proceedings something jammed in the brush when I pulled the needle back to wipe a bit of excess paint from the nozzle:

24050883127_139c273588_c.jpg

You can just about seen inside there that the 'shield' that sits behind the trigger has somehow fallen to one side and jammed. A minor panic (of the kind you always get with new gear) until I realized that I just needed to unscrew the needle chucking bit behind to free it again.

Whilst fiddling with this I decided to remove the needle cap at the front altogether in order to be able to get in close and try some very fine line painting:

38879782472_f3958aabdf_c.jpg

Slowly the bright patterning ofthe  XF23 is being eroded and eaten-into but a much finer line using my hellblau mix.

Continuing with this close-in scribbling you can see the paint splash has been absorbed back in to the overall pattering again, and that the variations are starting to fuse and cohere:

24050884387_99a05d5a14_c.jpg

By this stage you want to slow down - this is the most critical part were you decide how much further to take the process:

38879784092_aefee2d967_c.jpg

Much further than this and you lose the sense of variation, much less than this and you'll have too much. Likje all process-based work, this one is effectively judgement call, one in which you also have to keep in mind any further effects you might add later such as panel lining etc, in terms of how theymay interact with the level of work done here. 

Time taken to complete the above btw, about an hour, including that hiatus to fix the jammed trigger.

One more point to note is that the level of contrast you see in most of the above photos is greater than how it appears to the eye, plus it doesn't look as duck-eggy-blue as the last couple of shot might suggest, but resembles the more muted kind of hellblau that I was seeking.

My, but hat feels nice to have got some colour on.:yahoo:

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16

I quoted the last post but deleted as I’ll fill your pages right up. Just wanted to say how happy I am to see the paint on. Beautifully administered too. :clap2: she is looking on top form. Looks like we might all have a snowed in weekend with nothing to do but plastic eh. ;):penguin:

Johnny snowbound.

• Haha 4

What Johnny said :clap: Very interesting technique to render tone variations on a very large surface :worthy: I also find interesting that you are able to do that using Tamiya paints which, in my experience at least, tend to have a a higher covering power than, say, Lifecolor. This obviously shows great airbrushing finesse and talent.

You should try black basing, sometimes :whistle: (or maybe you have already and I just don't know... )

Ciao

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

she is looking on top form.

Thanks Johnny. From someone with your painting skills that counts a lot!

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Looks like we might all have a snowed in weekend with nothing to do but plastic eh.

Life can be cruel sometimes can't it?:lol:

We've a heavy weather warning in place for Saturday night with mucho snow dropping promised. The lads had a small snowman in the garden earlier but it took all the snow in the garden to make it...

8 minutes ago, giemme said:

I also find interesting that you are able to do that using Tamiya paints which, in my experience at least, tend to have a a higher covering power than, say

I tend to dilute mine Giorgio 50/50 with a homemade thinner, which reduces the opacity enough to work with in this way. I must try Lifecolor! I forgot to pick some up at SMW.

8 minutes ago, giemme said:

You should try black basing, sometimes

When I get back to the C-119J build in January I'll be blackbasing the airframe then Giorgio (all that fun with metallic paints to come!) as it's another painting approach I want to work with further.

A tad more happened after tea tonight.

After unclamping the fuselage from where it was being glued I discovered that the keel halves had slipped against each other, resulting in a mismatch in a couple of places of just under a millimetre. This was rectified by gluing some1mm plastic strip into place and planing it back down flush with a handheld Stanley blade:

27142509189_5339c39550_c.jpg

A little fill and sand around the edges of the patches and that should be right as rain.

At last I could also get to work on correcting the nose. My conversations with Bernard @blg63 upon the matter have proven most fruitful in this regard so Milliupting has been committed upon the Whale Calf's nose tonight (seen here in current D2 rounded nose confronting its nemesis):

27142510059_18b3019d25_c.jpg

That snout has to turn into something semi-'cruiser bow' like - not as sharp as a 'G', but ifyou can imagine a halfway stage in the morph from D2 to G, you get the idea:

27142508029_b06916b6ed_c.jpg

This has been made a tad more elongated than required, purely for the purposes of sihrsc'ing back into a correct profile when dry. The tool I favour for this preliminary shaping is just a handheld scalped blade regularly dipped in water.

As with using a Stanley blade to plane shapes with, I find that just holding the blade between your fingers in this way just gives so much more information about surface and pressure than the intervention of a handle, allowing a bit more delicacy in response.

If you shave with a cut-throat razor as I do sometimes you'll know the need for that level of feedback!:lol:

Ciao babes.

If you get snowed-in, may it be in the proximity of a bench!

:thumbsup:

Tony

• Like 10

That is modelling with a very high degree of skill in all departments. The elevator and flap unions leave me lost for words - that took REAL skill to achieve as Hendy has commented. I do not use an airbrush, I just wish that I had your skill in handling one!

Super model in the making - just waiting to see this one finished.

P

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

If you get snowed-in, may it be in the proximity of a bench!

Yep, very snowy and windy here tonight and the first time of the year, that it will stay obvously. John ( The spadgent) who's living 'round about 100 km up north on the degree of latitude to me, will also have a nice white intermezzo over the weekend (or more), I guess. So his thoughts are proven right, I think. For me some restoring of old diecast again, if my mojo strikes back for them. Otherwise music and a hot chocolate with rum and other chilling things. :chillpill::rain: Cheers.

By the way she looks great  and you will surely nail it. No doubt about that and I'm glad you like that song. For the first few seconds  I heard this one at  the first time it was clear, that it would stay there for quite a while.  I like that kind of sound and rhythm, which never bores me.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

Great painting Tony, that's an excellent finish :clap:

Good save on the keel too - I couldn't see the join - and the nose job is looking good.

My poor attempt at humour was aimed at the stand under the wings and bits in this picture - sorry for the confusion!

25022487248_583f758b82_c.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, pheonix said:

That is modelling with a very high degree of skill in all departments. The elevator and flap unions leave me lost for words - that took REAL skill to achieve as Hendy has commented. I do not use an airbrush, I just wish that I had your skill in handling one!

You're very kind  - as always -  Mr. Phoenix. 

From someone of your abilities I take that as a compliment indeed. :thumbsup2:

As to airbrushing, like most tools it's part of a larger process isn't it? Given the quality of finish that many members here are able to achieve with paintbrush alone,  it's clearly one of only a number of complementary ways of working with pigment. I like the slightly 'ethereal' feeling of wafting colour on with an airbrush, but at the same time I love to have a damn good scuff around with dry-brushing and washes!

14 hours ago, bbudde said:

For me some restoring of old diecast again,

Benedikt - have I been missing out badly on this aspect of your work? If so I must apologize - is it up on the forum?

14 hours ago, bbudde said:

For the first few seconds  I heard this one at  the first time it was clear, that it would stay there for quite a while.  I like that kind of sound and rhythm, which never bores me.

Likewise.:thumbsup2:

I absolutely love what these people can do with air and vocal chords:

And as for Sweet Honey in the Rock:

Ain't nothing like them when you're down and need a lift back to the world....

12 hours ago, jrlx said:

Very interesting technique for achieving tonal variations and very well executed! :clap2:

You're very sweet for dignifying that with the word 'technique' Jaime - I just like to take a line for a walk and see where it ends up...:D

12 hours ago, CedB said:

aimed at the stand under the wings and bits in this picture - sorry for the confusion!

In fairness now Ced it takes little enough to confuse me these days!:lol:

Mairzy doats And Cruiser Bows And liddle lamzy Drehkranz....

Here's where weleft the wet shaping last evening:

27142508569_f5f69a5914_c.jpg

And this be some sihrsc'ing in progess this morning:

38046116135_64d24b75c9_c.jpg

Order of business in such a task - get the vertical bow profile roughed-out first, then angle the topside down to meet it. Once the critical angle of thosetwo is established you can begin the process of rounding and curving:

24067680787_e43fa78056_c.jpg

For the chine/strake profiles on the keel:

38216944104_2c8ba662df_c.jpg

I switched to a small circular file:

24067681167_0ff5743580_c.jpg

Milliput must be my favouritest squeezy stuff that turns hard ever! It's just so....nice to work with!

Still some tidying to do around top orifice for the gun mounting:

24067681497_376e7e4129_c.jpg

A test fit needed to see how much we need to take off:

24067681947_b46e462f18_c.jpg

A tad, but certainly less

24067682387_0ba4e3761a_c.jpg

....than a full-blown smidgeon.

The front of that ring element needs to be able to sit flush with the profile of the bow at the front.

Out with the sanding tentacle (sandacle? @Martian Hale will know)!

24067683167_ca3ca59ddc_c.jpg

No doubt to our mutual surprise, no Mg 15 magazines tucked away inside there were injured during the making of this photo:

24067684007_0910c22617_c.jpg

It needs a little tidy around the rim still, and I have to carve out an opening to the front for that lozenge-shaped box that seams to act as a gearing mechanism for the rotation of the ring, as you it see here, just below the gun:

37154143300_4a348b9e51_b.jpg

That's tuck-doon nicely now. I left the diameter of the opening every-so slightly tight so that it I'll be less likely to drop the sub-assembly into the hole during gluing later on (what are the chances?:lol:):

24067684657_0bcfb34b02_c.jpg

Similar treatment for its sister position toward the tail:

38932198611_2cb4d77619_c.jpg

Needs to be flush as welll - as thou canst discern from the etching:

38897090862_381ff74fab_b.jpg

Both together now, and I think that they'll pass muster in the final assembly:

38216943214_824885cb3f_c.jpg

That's earned a deluxe breakfast roll for lunch I reckon.

Gad it's chilly on the nethers here this morn. What was that you said yesterday about rum in hot chocolate Benedikt?

Sounds a sensible precaution to me.:lol:

• Like 16

Hello Tony. That looks marvellous and the Drehkranz really looks the part.  3d print is a really good option for these kind of issues, I'm convinced.

For the diecast I can say that you haven't missed anything of me as I haven't postet something here. One reason is that I'm ( mostly too) lazy in taking and uploading photos somewhere before, during and after restoring . Another one is, that there are mostly only round about 5-10 pieces per item.  The procedure is almost the same and  bit boring: Drilling out the rivets,  throwing the painted parts into agressive thinner till the old paint peels off,  polishing the unpainted parts, sanding the clear parts smooth with micromesh/ dipping them in future, repainting the other parts ( mostly with rattle cans) and last , but least  putting the parts together again ( the most difficult part everytime, because you chip them very fast  again). So I guess you would be bored after my third thread. But I can send you a photo from some of them the next time we have a sunny day with good daylight. I  always  like to see  how they turn out after new coat of paint and polish

The music is great and these Latinas always have that certain style in expressing a certain mood or livestyle, which I cannot really define. Another little one for  a hot chocolate with rum on a grey afternoon, but the chocolate has to be dark and of high quality and the rum has to be flammable. That will avoid an upcoming winter blues:

Cheers

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, bbudde said:

But I can send you a photo from some of them the next time we have a sunny day with good daylight. I  always  like to see  how they turn out after new coat of paint and polish

I'd like to see some too please Benedikt, something I like to do too - in fact, must remember to order some replacement Dinky tyres after Christmas...

@TheBaron, that's some very tasty Miliputting there Tony, really neat nose reshaping!

Keith

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Top job with Milliput

Hard to go wrong with it really Giorgio - it's so forgiving a medium in either wet or dry form!

3 hours ago, bbudde said:

But I can send you a photo from some of them the next time we have a sunny day with good daylight.

Yep! Definitely do that Benedikt. I'd love to see your work.:thumbsup2:

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

really neat nose reshaping!

Thanks Keith. I feel a lot happier about that region now that some of the mystery has gone out of it; this aircraft manages to be quite elusive sometimes with regard to some of different variants - some writes ignoring altogether the fact that there are a range of D's and not just a single instance...

1 hour ago, jrlx said:

Very well done!

My thanks Jaime! How are the studies going? Are you finished with exams for the year?

Well, I wanted to get the harness for the rear gunner done:

37919000184_bbe91f195c_z.jpg

It represents something of a challenge, being and asymmetrical set of lower bars, mounted to a curved brace that the gunner's back leans into. Previously I would have been somewhat leary of the delicate bending involved in such a task, but with the delivery of one of these yesterday, I felt a little more confident that I could rustle up something from brass rod:

38222311774_b383b7929a_c.jpg

I presume that it's a copy of one of the more expensive brands:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/59mm-Hold-And-Fold-Mini-Model-Photo-Etch-Bending-Tool-Blade-Set-By-Small-Shop/352063855725?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It does seem well-engineered - at least to my untutored eye regarding such matters - and came into it's own here.

First stage was to anneal some 0.3mm brass rod and bend it round the top of a Formula 560 bottle, creating the back rest for the gunner: 

25066519498_e9548fa5c0_c.jpg

The large tapered nozzle of that bottle makes for a good ersatz curve-bender!

From there, it was into the etch bender to produce the 90° returns that mount the backrest to the Drehkranz ring:

38222299774_2ceb40fb61_c.jpg

Experience (the bitter kind!:lol:)has taught me to leave such parts over-length and trim them to size later.....

A quick check on the curve parameters:

25066523398_022887f7c2_c.jpg

An then back to the bender again - this time with some un-annealed rod - in order to make the asymmetric lower bars:

38222305794_e9b758d6b0_c.jpg

These were then soldered into place on the back rest at the correct angle:

25066525468_57512ffd3e_c.jpg

Trimmed down (return of the Angled Wagners...)the structure becomes a bit clearer.

38222308464_e242d3ec03_c.jpg

CA'd into place on the gun mounting:

25066528248_c0444d061e_c.jpg

Below you can see the asymmetric nature of the lower part - which I'm presuming was to let the gunner angle himself to sight down the barrel of the MG15:

38222309304_ea1aa2fccc_c.jpg

I've some left-over seatbelt harness from the cockpit that I might be able to customize in order to build the leather harness-work that fits over that, as seen in the reference shot at the start:

25066528918_acea9fa5b5_c.jpg

Not tonight though.

Eye-ache.

Brain-ache.

The kind that only a really big kebab can deal with.

If there's weather coming your way tonight, stay safe my friends.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 18

Kebab!!!! I am in, extra chilli and garlic mayo on mine.

Fine work on the gunner`s basket sir.

May have to invest in a proper P.E. folding tool.

Simon.

PS Pepsi Max as drink, I have some JD to warm us up . :drink:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I never cease to be amazed by your modelling abilities: very impressive work on the  gunner harness :worthy:

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

How are the studies going? Are you finished with exams for the year?

Thanks for asking, Tony! The semester ends early February 2018. I'll have another test for sure. The first one was not too bad, with a 70% note. I used to get better marks, but this level is harder.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice nose job Tony! The only thing I dislike about Milliput is the fact that half of it sticks to your fingers while you mix it, or maybe mine is old and dry....no Ced!

The gun rings are gems in their own right, beautifully done!

Edited by limeypilot
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 9.12.2017 at 6:02 PM, TheBaron said:

The kind that only a really big kebab can deal with.

Oh  that's a hard break from something latin like Buena vista social club or anything else, but why not:

http://www.songtexte.com/songtext/ganz-schon-feist/donerrevolution-2be97486.html

Edited by bbudde
  • Haha 1

Great work on the nose shaping Tony and oh my, those rings and harness - great work, again!

Thanks for the link to the affordable PE bender too - luckily I hadn't invested in an expensive one :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful work with the brass - that is going to look sooo realistic! Your description of how to achieve the curves on the nose was also very helpful to those who have not done that sort of thing before and want to try. It is critical to get the angles and curves right first in the way you describe: the remainder is then rather simple. Like all of these skills, if they are tackled in the right way they are not nearly so difficult as they may seem. Having written that, we are still witnessing a master at work.

P

• Thanks 1

On 9.12.2017 at 6:02 PM, TheBaron said:

Yep! Definitely do that Benedikt. I'd love to see your work.:thumbsup2:

and at

keefr22

Hello snowed in again today I  took some photos. Not really good ones due to bad light, but you can imagine what I do. They are 1:60 in scale The two unrestored show they typical condition, when I buy hem ( hopefully for little money  as I can't afford  them in mint condition.:

DSCN1478_zpsqlzy4pvd.jpg?t=1512909951DSCN1481_zpskhaj1zay.jpgDSCN1479_zpskkjz9o20.jpg?t=1512909955DSCN1480_zpsffssibhw.jpg

Mabe I will make thread in the future, when I restore the old Matchbox MG1100 . Hope you don't mind That I posted them here in your thread. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 8

On 12/10/2017 at 12:21 AM, bbudde said:

wir könn' uns nich' auf stammkunden ausruh'n
wir müssen produktpalette erweitern

Uber-kapitalist!:lol:

On 12/9/2017 at 6:58 PM, jrlx said:

The first one was not too bad, with a 70% note.

Sounds decent enough to me Jaime.:thumbsup2:

On 12/9/2017 at 5:19 PM, Spookytooth said:

May have to invest in a proper P.E. folding tool.

You know you need it Simon.:devil:

Maybe not immediately, but better safe than sorry eh?....:D

On 12/9/2017 at 10:43 PM, limeypilot said:

Nice nose job Tony! The only thing I dislike about Milliput is the fact that half of it sticks to your fingers while you mix it, or maybe mine is old and dry....no Ced!

The gun rings are gems in their own right, beautifully done!

Thanks Ian.:thumbsup2: I know what you mean about the adhesive qualities of freshly-kneaded Milliput! I usually end up with the glutinous marzipan of it all over my hands...every time!

On 12/10/2017 at 12:52 AM, CedB said:

Great work on the nose shaping Tony and oh my, those rings and harness - great work, again!

Thanks for the link to the affordable PE bender too - luckily I hadn't invested in an expensive one :)

Thanks for that Ced. A PE bender seems just a sensible precaution really...

On 12/10/2017 at 9:30 AM, giemme said:

What have you been using to anneal the brass pipe, if I may ask?

Giorgio: as taught to me by the redoubtable Miggers, late of this forum:

• grab brass part in pliers or tweezers and hold it over a gas flame until cherry red, as required.
  • immediately quench the part in cold water.
  • that's it. you're ready to shape. 

This happens very quickly for the kind of small rod I was using Giorgio so be ready to whip it away very very quickly, lest it melt on you...

HTH!

On 12/10/2017 at 10:45 AM, pheonix said:

Wonderful work with the brass - that is going to look sooo realistic! Your description of how to achieve the curves on the nose was also very helpful to those who have not done that sort of thing before and want to try. It is critical to get the angles and curves right first in the way you describe: the remainder is then rather simple.

It's a kind of geometric equivalent to sketching, isn't it? If you can establish the broad outlines in three-dimensions, you can home in on the final shape gradually. I also don't think that you can under-estimate the importance of the kind of shape-information that comes from the tactile feel of it in your fingertips, as well as gauging such matters visually...

17 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great nose work there dear boy, awsome bending to boot. That PE tool is rather cheap compared to the ones I’ve seen, thanks for the link.

I hope it helps Johnny. You may need to buy it immediately - I mean what are the chances that Lightning will need something metallic and bent in the innards somewhere....?

BTW: I ordered mine on Nov 12th, so it took about a month to get here with free postage.

Did somebody say snow?

Radio silence yesterday was due to (no doubt like many of you) waking up to a Winter Wonderland yesterday morning:

38096530935_620f9f01dd_c.jpg

About 4 inches of snow fell during the early hours of Sunday, taking out power as well for the whole day.

Natch there was little to do save feed the birds:

38096533735_4b0bb54576_c.jpg

(rooks and starlings as as like familiars round here as the cats)

Or throw snow at each other:

27205435439_5b85213302_c.jpg

What on earth though could have made these tracks in the snow?:

38097129405_1b76383dbd_c.jpg

These were semi-regular and periodic about 100 yds down the lane from the house. I  might have to send that in to the back page of New Scientist as it beats me.

In between getting soaked and frozen, and lacking sufficient light in the work room, I dragged a few toolsout to the kitchen table:

25111495528_aa8c72c830_c.jpg

Final shaping on the nose done now:

38096534175_f824f311d6_c.jpg

But then having polished that hooter to semi-perfection, it was necessary to carve back into it to form the recess that the gearing mechanism for the gun ring sits into - starting with the rounded corners:

38096535995_47a240b59b_c.jpg

Whether it's the scale or just the range of jobs I'm doing on this aircraft at the moment but I find that more and more I'm just holding tools like this in my fingers and using them. Used in this way, these drill bits give exceptional control and responsiveness for working hardened Milliput.

Job done, but the base of that needs levelling out a little:

38946033112_3d2a110031_c.jpg

Ooh. Who got clumsy with the scalpel blade and managed to slice off a bit of the rear of the gun mounting also?

Should have held that blade in my fingers also!

This front part is now an unintentional lesson in the complementary use of fillers - first Milliput, then PPP to remedy the hacking at the rear of the ring, then Mr.S to level the recess:

38946034182_ddc2892ae0_c.jpg

Same treatment for the rear recess, which I enlarged more carefully by taking the scalpel blade off the handle and just using it in my fingers this time (thereby creating less mayhem...):

24118247337_f44cd98170_c.jpg

Constant checking of thist stage is required in order  ensure that the Drehkranz sits at the correct level in relation to the gearing recesses:

27205509829_fb32c3049b_c.jpg

Almost there now:

38946035492_4207e6230c_c.jpg

Final order of the day was an all-over primer to check seams and fillings:

27205510749_0385ed2363_c.jpg

A little bit of roughness there on the keel behind the step, and on the top, just some smoothing left to do up near the tail:

38946037902_7deca6318b_c.jpg

Remedial work on the bow-shape has exceeded my expectations:

27205511619_62137caf4a_c.jpg

Not prefect, but I'm at that stage of having to ration time to different tasks now that we're in the endgame:

38946039752_9524d327bc_c.jpg

I won't be leaving the very front that asymmetric, plus there's a mooring ring to try and fix to the prow lower down as well.Drilling into an acute angle - that should be fun!

Hmmm:

27205512399_b53eef5e26_c.jpg

Time constraints or no, I'm going to add a little more Milliput to the keel thre at the very front - it doesn't curve enough and is too linear at present in those last couple of centimetres where it angles upward. A bit more 'chin' in other words...

The bow topsides looks ok now though:

25111500858_47a02d14f8_c.jpg

The Nordic light yesterday afternoon seemed oddly appropriate for this bird of the Northern Seas (here drying a last coat of primerover the stove:

38983741991_d6605e57de.jpg

With the light failing at this point it was getting too dark for work or photos, and with no power, it was back to the glim of candlelight:

25111501718_3bdb98f20e_c.jpg

12 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Hello snowed in again today I  took some photos. Not really good ones due to bad light, but you can imagine what I do. They are 1:60 in scale The two unrestored show they typical condition, when I buy hem ( hopefully for little money  as I can't afford  them in mint condition.:

Fabulous Benedikt!

Those are completely beguiling.

:clap:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1