Dornier Do 18-D *Finished*

Nice work Tony, surgical scissors eh?

Does the job, I found that those do the job on P.E. stuff too.

The Neville Duke mention had me looking through my pics, but I only have a front end pic of his Hunter taken at Tangmere.

Simon.

• Like 1

Marvellous work on the actuators Tony, more great micro-engineering :)

'Warner Scissors' are probably a result of the somewhat dubious practice that some manufacturers used to adopt - they'd produce 'special' tools to a surgeon's design and name them after him.

Of course they were a lot more expensive than the standard tools but hey, nothing like being able to say 'Nurse, the Baron clamp please'!

• Like 1

On 12/5/2017 at 7:23 PM, giemme said:

Brilliant, just brilliant. :worthy:

Mille grazie Giorgio, mille grazie...

On 12/5/2017 at 7:45 PM, jrlx said:

I agree with Giorgio!

And muito obrigado to you to Jaime!:D

23 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work Tony, surgical scissors eh?

Does the job,

Can't beat 'em can you Simon? Though mine are considerably blunter now tonight.

I wonder can you sharpen them back up again?:hmmm:

19 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Do I smell paint? 

Well now, here's a thing. I might bang a bit of that rather handsome pale blue RLM on the undersides of the wings before mounting that lot to the fuselage as it looks like a potential bugger to paint once the underwing struts are in and the sponsons being in the way.

I think....

Some possibly some Iwata action in t'offing.:thumbsup:

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Of course they were a lot more expensive than the standard tools but hey, nothing like being able to say 'Nurse, the Baron clamp please'!

Cor dear! Makes the eyes water just thinking about it eh?:lol:

Quick run through of progress now tonight. 

Thought I was too tired to carry on aileroning and flapping but a hot bath and wodge of Mrs. B's pukka lasagne gave a a second wind.

First up, the previous night's beginnings.

Marking out the mounting slots for the actuators:

27101737199_0b88d69712_c.jpg

These were then cut out with a hot needle and scalpel and the trimmed down brass lengths positioned and CA'd into them:

38163170084_c4f61a3f26_c.jpg

27101737949_65ca859bdc_c.jpg

You can see also that prior to doing this I'd cut the long aerofoil shape into it's respective aileron and landing flap lengths:

38163169554_c142c95d1b_c.jpg

Flap and aileron share a hinge where they meet in the middle at the end of the aileron in the shot above.

I'd only really intended finishing off the port flaps tonight:

38163166524_3ab3167645_c.jpg

38163166264_801624b28f_c.jpg

38163166794_b4b11bee1d_c.jpg

But having got my eye in and feeling rested enough I had at the starboard wing as well in a similar fashion:

38163168914_e6a18b4208_c.jpg

As you can see, the main strength derives from the actuators buried into the wing, the hinges acting as strengthening/bracing:

38163168464_249fedce9f_c.jpg

The overall result is something I'm pleased comes closer to the actual aircraft structure in visual terms:

38163167474_e5f49102de_c.jpg

I put a very slight droop on the landing flaps to draw attention to their separation from the ailerons, slight enough in fact that it doesn't really show in the photos at all!:lol:

38163168124_de7cf8b9ef_c.jpg

A little final tidying to do on those bits but I'll leave that until the next session.

I hope you like the results of what was to all intents and purposes a bit of a gamble.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 22

Now this takes skill....

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

38163166264_801624b28f_c.jpg

Looks simple doesn't it?  Skill I tells ya.

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

I hope you like the results of what was to all intents and purposes a bit of a gamble.

oh, I suppose so

• Thanks 1

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:53 PM, HomerJ_757 said:

Sven Hassel, that brings back some memories! 

I read it all, Jozefski Portaska !! What a memory !

Think that I still got some on the attic...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 3

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:55 PM, limeypilot said:

Sven Hassel's books were brought home to me even more when I discovered, in the mid 1990's when visiting my relatives in Germany (all 4 of my Great Grandparents on my Father's side were German, coming to London in the 1890's), that I actually had a relative who fought at, and survived, Stalingrad! He was in the Pioneers and he lost his left arm and was evacuated back to Germany just 2 weeks before the 6th Army surrendered.....he passed away in 1985 so unfortunately I never got to meet him.

Ian

Hello Ian,

The father in law of my Friend Pierre who was in Telford with me was driving the Last truck to leave Stalino !

He has been wounded but keep the pace, looking with anxiety in the Mirror as he saw the T-34 closing the road !

All these stories are fascinating !

When they agree to talk about of course !!

Thank for sharing.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 5

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I certainly do! :worthy:  Can't really wait to see some paint going on top of all this gorgeous detailing job :popcorn:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

The father in law of my Friend Pierre who was in Telford with me was driving the Last truck to leave Stalino !

He has been wounded but keep the pace, looking with anxiety in the Mirror as he saw the T-34 closing the road !

Bloody Hell.

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Great stuff Tony

Ced, my thanks for that.

In the event the process turned out better than I had expected - like most such jobs when you try them for the first time it had its own particular order in which it works best, though modelling - being modelling - it isn't always apparent at first what that order is!:D

17 hours ago, hendie said:

oh, I suppose so

Sheesh...this is a harder audience to work than the Glasgow Empire! :lol:

5 hours ago, bbudde said:

a bit complicated and fragile

Aren't we all?;)

4 hours ago, TonyW said:

Keep the finished model away from Ansons though...

Positively lethal.

You can't help imagining that a dogfight between an Anson and a Do 18 would be quite a prolonged and deliberate affair...

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nothing beats a portion of home made Lasagne.

Except seconds! :eat:

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Can't really wait to see some paint going on top

That reminds me that I need to get cracking and work out a mixing ratio for the hellblau (using Tamiya paints) for the undersides Giorgio....:D

Some tidying-up since last we spoke.

First the undersides.

One of these in the Dremelclone on a fast setting:

s-l300.jpg

...makes short and (more importantly) delicate work of ant bits of brass left proud underneath:

25022485918_92befed044_c.jpg

Quite uncharacteristically for me regarding anything to do with glue, a coat of primer revealed that the upperworks didn't need any further attention:

27117562069_ee1e1bfda1_c.jpg

Finally, I also primed the gun rings and gave them a final tidy. Both are ready now for painting (black) also:

25022487248_583f758b82_c.jpg

Clock is ticking on this one so need to keep the momentum going as much as possible.

Paint I think next on the underside of the wings and then get the gondola mated to the fuselage....(not to self - drill out the rigging holes in the sponsons before doing that and have a look at strut quality...)

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16

Wot the others have said, brilliant Tony. Plus echo wot Hendie said: "Looks simple doesn't it?  Skill I tells ya". Very true, but must admit it looks blinkin' ard to me!!! Fantastic stuff, keep it gooin.

• Thanks 1

On 04/12/2017 at 11:14 PM, hendie said:

the dance or the new tool?

I can just hear Bryan now...

Had your fill of quadrilles
The madison and cheap thrills
fed up with balogna
then tune in your Marconi
Grab a wizzened crony
and do the Trimming Tony

Sx89rjC.gif

Top marks for the Roxy Music reference!

Playing our tune

By the pale moon

We’re incognito

By the lido

And we like the Dornier

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:
12 hours ago, bbudde said:

a bit complicated and fragile

Aren't we all?;)

Yes,  we are!!! and so I like to let flow music of any kind at any moment through my head: So  a bit of R&B, that occupied my head only at NDR 2  at night and  not WDR 2 (sadly not played just by now) :

• Thanks 1

Nice work Tony :)

I must say I missed the step by step on the bending and soldering of the wire stand and the molding on the feet, but hey, I have been to the pub :D

• Haha 3