Dornier Do 18-D *Finished*

As already said, great work on the interiors and the seat belts just add to the superb level of care and attention to detail you've put into this build.

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

Great work Tony.

Those seat belts look an amazing addition to the build, the spare mags for the forward gun to.

That interior looks superb there sir.

Sven Hassel books, I remember reading the lot, but sadly had to give them to a charity shop before we moved.

Looking forward to more.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, giemme said:

you got the point

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Unlike the Do18

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Lovely 'pit detail

Giorgio, Bill, Keith, Jaime, Simon: I say, you chaps are being so frightfully nice this afternoon that I wish there was something ripping to end up with for you today but I had rather a tawdry time of it since lunch to be frank. More gen below.

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Sven Hassel's books were brought home to me even more when I discovered, in the mid 1990's when visiting my relatives in Germany

That is one amazing set of family connections Ian and no mistake.

Having bought some inkjet clear and white decal papers at Telford expressly for the purposes of making up various badges for this aircraft, I have to say my wariness regarding inkjet decal paper has regrettably been reinforced. Mrs.B has an exhibition-quality Canon inkjet which made a nice job of the output:

38787012561_0aa8c8b1f2_c.jpg

The paper itself was something called 'Expert's Choice', manufactured by the Bare Metal Foil Company and it is utter pants. In fact I would have been better off printing onto a pair of pants.

Only a second or two of contact with lukewarm water and the decal film begins dissolving!

38787014851_7318e97c06_c.jpg

To nothingness within 15 seconds (I did it twice so I could time the reaction...):

38070757454_3e06ea82bf_c.jpg

Now the manufacturer's instructions do say to strengthen the decal after printing using Microscale Liquid Decal Film but make absolutely no mention that their product will almost instantaneously dissolve without it. Thanks be that I only lashed out the geld for a couple of sheets of the stuff. The remainder has already been binned.

In the end I simply printed the IP out onto photographic paper and Gator's Gripped it into place:

38070756004_32d25500a4_c.jpg

Job done.

As a mark of intent - as much as to stop me adding an more to the intestines of the bird, I glued the interior spaces to the starboard fuselage in the hope it will stop me fiddling 

ad

ad

ad

ad

ad

infinitum and get this blighter closed up.

Judge R. Halibutt-Spanker (presiding). Did the plaintiff recollect to remove the masking tape from the inside of the portholes before commencing the aforementioned activity?

Mr. Desmond Plunge QC: If it please you honour, he has, with both diligence and fervour. May I have your honour's permission to introduce photographic proof to this effect?

Judge R. H-S: You may proceed. 

38787010531_a986bb3553_c.jpg

38070756794_92b8886ae0_c.jpg

Mr. D. P QC: The defense rests your honour.

Judge R. H-S: Very good Mr. Plunge. I am currently suffer a suppression of urine and the necessity for a plate of chops. Court adjourned until tomorrow.

Clerk of Court: All rise!

• Like 11
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

If it please his lordship's mate down the road, in the corner of the snug with half a pint left of his Guinness, the plaintiff is talking a load of snoodicatts

The sequence oft repeated any time I have demonstrated the ART of transfer making is

Print the said artwork on suitable paper

Lay the printed artwork aside to dry

The leave it a tad longer, 'something favours the prepared thingy', be prepared to hang on a bit longer

I find by experimentation that an extra half hour does NOT hurt  OK

now take the prepared artistic endeavour to a well ventilated workspace

Then look on your shelf for your aerosol spray varnish (I usually use MATT varnish but GLOSS is equally varnishy)

Lightly mist one coat over the sheet from a foot or thereabouts above the target and allow it to dry

ten minutes or more later lightly mist another coat of varnish maybe laying it on slightly more heavily

Slightly

Two or more similar treatments will give you perfectly acceptable transfers ready to cut off their backing film

Microscale Decal treatment/Film stuff is OK if you do it similarly, let a light coat dry before you do any more

I prefer and hereby advocate using the method I call MY METHOD

And remember dear Tony, I used to make Transfers for a living

For instance can you ask a parent to tell you about Milk machines?

They were scattered around Britain in the sixties and very early seventies, you could buy a carton of fresh pasteurised milk or oftentimes a carton of strawberry flavoured milk from these wonderful refrigerated vending machines for sixpence

The relevance of these old man's memories to transfers or decals?

Simple, on the sides of these machines there was a huge two tone MILK logo

My employers made all of those for the Milk Marketing Board

As well as the BSA 'rifles' badges on BSA oil tanks

YAMAHA badges for purchase in motor bike accesory shops

all sorts of stickers for everything you can imagine

Trust me (here's the moral) I know how to make 'decals'

It pains me to ask but did the plaintiff not even wonder why the manufacturer would advise using Microscale doodah at all?

I think we have been left inno doubt that this proves the plaintiff is, like me, a bloke with a tendency to dash in too hasty like

"The trouble with Fred, he's TOO HASTY"

Edited by perdu
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, perdu said:

They were scattered around Britain in the sixties and very early seventies, you could buy a carton of fresh pasteurised milk or oftentimes a carton of strawberry flavoured milk from these wonderful refrigerated vending machines for sixpence

I'd forgotten all about them, what a loss to the world their disappearence was....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Two or more similar treatments will give you perfectly acceptable transfers ready to cut off their backing film

<Sigh>

T'would have been proper I feel for the manufacturer to have been a bit more forthcoming on their rather detailed two-page instruction sheet in this regard.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

did the plaintiff not even wonder why the manufacturer would advise using Microscale doodah at all?

Yeah, I did read that bit Bill, contrary to appearances. :lol: Their only mention for the necessity of such application was to (and I quote) 'prevent smudging' and 'stop bunching up when applying'...

Nowt about the product dissolving almost instantly without use of same.

Certainly nowt about need for varnish at all, this latter point ironically being the reason why I bought them in the first place. The last inkjet lot I trialled about a year ago were treated with an aerosol varnish as per - blighters cracked all over the place after immersion which was why I thought to give this brand a pop instead.

Sorry for my irritated tone Bill - it's certainly not aimed at you or your sage advice :thumbsup2: Ah'm just annoyed at a wasted afternoon I could ill afford, partly through my own stupidity.

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Never having made decals myself Tony, I don't actually know, but I thought all inkjet papers required either varnishing or a coat of decal film befor sticking them in water?

I'm heading back to laser printing during the week I think Keith. :lol: 

The cheap Chinese decal sheets I lasered some decals for the Sea Venom with gave good quality output and are just simpler to use.

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I'd forgotten all about them, what a loss to the world their disappearence was....

Remember when you could buy those small bars of Cadbury's Dairy Milk on the platform whilst waiting for the train, the ones that had that mechanical handle you twisted to release the bar of goodness (and which only worked 75% of the time)?

Always one boy at school who swore they had the right size washers from their Dad's work that you could use in them instead of money.

Probably the director of a bank or an insurance company now...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Remember when you could buy those small bars of Cadbury's Dairy Milk on the platform whilst waiting for the train, the ones that had that mechanical handle you twisted to release the bar of goodness (and which only worked 75% of the time)?

They came to mind exactly the same time that Bill woke up the memory cells with the milk machine reminiscence!!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do, there was a vending machine on a local station which had a selection of chocolate bars, my favourite was the Fruit and Biscuit bars.

Now we get ripped off by the prices of food on any railway station, let alone the trains themselves.

Looking nice Tony, I love the "Court Script"

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

During the 80’s, when the Deutschmark was around 2.80 to the £, allegedly, so I was later informed, you could use a shilling (5p) in place of a DM1 coin in both NAAFI vending machines and some off-base call boxes.  Of course, I deplore the use of such deception and if it ever occurred then it was a genuine error! :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Obviously no one round here would maka sucha mistaka

Obviously

Tony laser printing is a toner substance that gets burned onto the surface of the paper, if you can find a decent laser colour printer you can start making mine for me

Inkjet print ink is simply coloured liquid with a great affinity for water, try printing a sheet of polystyrene for the fun of watching your impeccable C-23A Sherpa Instrument panel run away and pool together in ever increasingly smudgy blobs

Not in any way life affirming

not at all but a great way to learn what inkjets cannot do

but learn you do

There were some very suitable I P decals on an after market sheet with additional seat straps which would have been ideal to print then cut  out

ho hum...

• Like 1

:analintruder: Wow!! Amazing stuff El barony. The 3D print has worked well and it seems you have very little sanding, which is a good thing. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, those internigals are for too wondersome to button away for all time. Alas, we will know they’re there and have seen there beauty, button away and be done with it.:guitar: lovely to have caught up with Thee sir. Hat doffed. 

Johnny.

• Thanks 1

Arrgggghhhh! That decal paper looks awful! Bad luck Tony :(

I've used inkjet paper before and decal film but found it a bit thick, possibly due to my brushing too much on, not wanting to smudge the ink.

I'm lucky to have a colour laser so that's used in preference and doesn't (I think) require further treatment. We'll see soon when I try the Boultbee markings. Gulp.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

They came to mind exactly the same time that Bill woke up the memory cells with the milk machine reminiscence!!

Steady now Keith. You must be strong in the face of overwhelming nostalgia! :D

Next thing this'll become the Antique Roadshow and I'll talking about my lost collection of 'Victor' comics spanning 1972-1976...:doh:

14 hours ago, HomerJ_757 said:

During the 80’s, when the Deutschmark was around 2.80 to the £, allegedly, so I was later informed, you could use a shilling (5p) in place of a DM1 coin in both NAAFI vending machines and some off-base call boxes.  Of course, I deplore the use of such deception and if it ever occurred then it was a genuine error! :whistle:

There's a Brexit metaphor there Ian but I ain't going there 'cos Mod the Merciless...:lol:

16 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

I do, there was a vending machine on a local station which had a selection of chocolate bars, my favourite was the Fruit and Biscuit bars.

What were they called Simon? I'm seeing something in a dark blue wrapper but I may be getting that mixed up with a Jacob's Club...

This gear always did it for me:

cadburybourn000151516.jpg.13fa541f6024c9

Sadly not available on platform machines usually, though given train prices today the 'privateer' motif would not be out of place methinks shipmate!

16 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

The IP still looks fine Baroness, you certainly appear to have hit a rich seam of form with this build.

My thanks for that kindness benignly-betentacled one.

I've mentioned it before but the almost Gothic sensibility of this aircraft is quite seductive, just as my fondness for the Edwardian greenhouse nature of the Roc transcends anything to do with performance or effectiveness of the the actual aircraft.

It's all about appearances with me isnt it?

I'm just soooo shallow!:lol:

Quick story - slightly related to such matters.

Back in the 80s, a family friend & neighbour in the flats where we lived at the time used to work in financing equipment for the North Sea oil rigs. Not the most 'manly' of men (as he himself admitted) he used to dread the periodic visits they had to make to various rigs to affirm that the gear they'd paid for was in place, being surrounded as he was by butch oil-wranglers and steely pipe-benders the whole time.

One visit involved some colossal piece of equipment of which our friend knew nothing whatsoever on the technical front, a situation made worse when he was asked his opinion in front of the whole group by some gravel-voiced oil executive. Our friend's response in his own words:

'My mind just went blank and all I could think to say was that it was such a lovely colour...'

13 hours ago, perdu said:

if you can find a decent laser colour printer you can start making mine for me

Bill, we've one at work that I'm going to run up a replacement batch with tomorrow - it's no problem to stick a print or two on for yourself it you need anything done.:nodding:

I'll post some pics of the results to so you can critique the quality.

13 hours ago, perdu said:

but learn you do

I sometimes think that I never went to college at all until joining this forum!:lol:

13 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I think you'll find that the problem wasn't dissolving carrier, but dissolving ink,

11 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Decal film that dissolves in warm water?

Ian, Nigel. Dissolving ink it was, but in the sense that there seemed to be some kind of chemical reaction between the inks in Mrs. B's printer (which were exhibition grade stuff for use with chemically-balanced archival papers), and the film substrate on the decal sheet. In the second of the two shots I posted of it reacting with water, you can probably just make out a residue of stains; those are actually on the support structure of the paper where the film was eaten away in those regions.

Tiresome, but was knowledge ever earned thus...?:D

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Alas, we will know they’re there and have seen there beauty, button away and be done with it.:guitar: lovely to have caught up with Thee sir.

Glad you're enjoying the shindig Johnny.:thumbsup2:

If the rain keeps off I'll pop outside and take some daylight shots of the interior before it disappears for good.

11 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm lucky to have a colour laser so that's used in preference and doesn't (I think) require further treatment.

I concur Ced, and for the same reason. I wish you fair lasers with your Boultbee set; looking forward to seeing how they work out!:thumbsup2:

Being black plastic, it seemed judicious to put some primer over the gun-waving equipment before proceeding to cut them off of the printed bases:

38803312811_7ce62423bb_c.jpg

As you might anticipate there was another Sven Hassel monologue during the terror of cutting those tiny bases off without:

gouging

breaking

slicing 

snapping

them.

In the end just brace them and slice diagonally with a fresh scalpel blade, before affixing with the custom Drehkranz 30 mounting geräte:

38773271162_2f536f3385_c.jpg

About an hour to do that. Epoxy (what else?) to bond.

Honest Alf over at Wincanton has it as an odds-on favourite for me to break something back off again before we're finished.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 11

Hi Tony, it that was that long ago early 70`s I think that I cannot remember the make.

but I do remember the "Old Jamaica" bars, and yes the "Privateer" is about right.

Nice bit of surgery on removing the 3D parts.

Lots of profanity I know but worth it.

She is coming to be a little beaut.

Simon. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Must have been twice the nice then. 😂

Else a sign of rambling (Sid Rumpole) and that I've started to repeat meself in conversation...:think:

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice bit of surgery on removing the 3D parts.

I've been practicing Simon:

latest?cb=20160718212231

Last little bit today and then we're off to meet some friends about an hour's drive away so that's the afternoon and evening accounted for.

Got brass:

24934040728_c0ab4a6904_c.jpg

Got thinner strips now:

38090571724_60402986af_c.jpg

haven't we been here before?

24934043358_7233d84666_c.jpg

Those readers in the Dornier Actuator SIG have already guessed where this is headed.

I needed a jig to keep levels even all along the wing so the actual kits parts for the flap/aileron structures were pressed into service as a scarificial offering:

24934038028_d62d3fd9aa_c.jpg

A bit of 1mm scrap was used to give the necessary separation between them and the wing:

37919855585_56ea684396_c.jpg

Then it was just a case of tacking the brass into place with CA in order to complete the lower angles for the hinges:

24934039328_6dfbbc422c_c.jpg

37919857435_cec6ee55e4_c.jpg

Once they were all tacked into place as you see above, I went back along blobbing Araldite onto the joins in order to form the main bond for those parts.

I'd debated the wisdom of building such features at this stage but figured it would be a lot harder to do (in terms of tidying up) after the painting stage, at least without wrecking the paint job due to getting in all those nooks and crannies to get rid of excess glue etc. Nothing I didn't face previously in terms of painting all that mad-multi-part wing folding on the Barracutie anyways so I feel this is do-able, if not entirely straightforward.  I also need to build the actual acutators (three on each wing) that drive the whole assembly, which will involve brass tubing to go into those conical recesses along the upper trailing edges.

Take care of yourselves until next time pals!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 10

On 11/17/2017 at 12:04 PM, TheBaron said:

One of the bittersweet aspects of the switch to digital image-making over the last couple of decades has been the gradual divestment of old analogue pieces of equipment - I refuse to let such pieces of gear go into the skip if they can be re-purposed. Earlier in the weekthey were clearing out the old darkrooms at work and as well as well some beautifully-engineered stainless steel film holders 4x5" film holders (no idea what I'll do with them yet but good engineering's too precious to discard) and trays I managed to salvage the 14x17" base of an enlarger. With sliding rulers and a secure paper-holding mechanism it was too handy to pass up on and came into it's own earlier in building an ad hoc propellor fixing jig:

37597758325_3b23789110_c.jpg

There's no doubt an elegant way to do this but I just went with what was to hand, the main issues being to get a consistent angular separation for the blades, keep them level, and uniformly-angled in the correct orientation:

Circles were added as fiducials to make sure that the patent lo-tech angling-system (one of the original kit blades) was always in the same place for gluing each blade in turn

Geeze oh pete, Tony, I just saw this. Wow. WOW.

• Thanks 1