Dornier Do 18-D *Finished*

On 10/09/2017 at 21:04, TheBaron said:

That yoke is this thing here:

36303141974_1e15291a9f_c.jpg

It was being sold as a jewellery/watchmaking vice, in that both upper and lower sections allow you to hold curved and circular items securely, as well as straight. It's already turned out to be another must-have tool in terms of securing various irregularly-shaped assemblies for drilling and gluing.

That miniature vice looks suspiciously like the vice that came with my Minicraft (remember them, you Poms?) drill stand. When I'm well enough again, I'll go out to the shed and have a look.

Aaargh! A pox on it - I hate being the one who flips the page. My apologies.

Anyway, your Dornier is coming on like a hou— oops, not the best analogy to use given recent events...

Nice :).

Gurgle cough wheeze,

the alex. :sheep: <-- fit as a fiddle, curse him!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Good stuff Tony, that 'pit is looking very nice indeed!

Ta Keith. I'm slowly moving along with tarting it up with the necessary. There's an extraordinary number of pipes and servo controls and so forth permeating the flight deck - certainly too much to cram everything in at this scale. At least I should be able to rough out a decent approximation of the main features.

22 hours ago, bbudde said:

Nice!!!!!!!!!

Danke mein Freund.:thumbsup2:

22 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

All caught up now. Seaplane, Matchbox kit, serious kit butchery, scratch building a go go, Baron build - what's not to love?

From the man who's pukka soldering work on a helicopter not long ago encouraged me to start jabbing things with a heated iron, praise indeed. Thanks Nigel:thumbsup2:

20 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Must try the soldering too... One day ...

It's definitely worth a try Cc - plus you'd have the fun of making a metal Steely Dan...;)

20 hours ago, pheonix said:

Super detailing there. You really do need to have the cockpit windows wide open as viewers of the finished model will not be able to see this wonderful build thread and may miss some of that detail.

Fear nought Mr. Phoenix - that canopy will have every window open!:D

19 hours ago, hendie said:

A coat of primer and some paint will certainly make that lot pop

Must admit I'm looking forward to that point in the proceeding myself hendie. Which reminds me, I think I'm nearly out of primer. I've really got to get some kind of inventory system organized. Cataloguing paint might be a start as I've belatedly realized I will also need colours for the RLM combinations on this as well! Amazing what you tend to overlook....:doh:

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I just ventured into the seaplane GB almost by accident and ended up spending a couple of hours catching up on this. Splendid work indeed!

Thanks Ian. Nice to have you along sir.

14 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Another positive vote for the cockpit from Tiger Towers :thumbsup: !

I agree with Hendie, that's going to pop once the paint is on.

Thanks Mr.Tiger.

Although paint itself is still a way off I need to get organized on that front. To the best of my knowledge this will be an RLM 72+73 upper surface / 65 underside / 02 interior combination.

Still waiting on the resin MG15s from the CMK shop. I checked just now and it's been a month since ordering; beginning to get a little concerned on that score...

12 hours ago, CedB said:

It's made me think about soldering too...

Shocking. A man with your tool collection not having one. This was the one @hendie recommended and I'm finding it an absolute joy to use:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Aoyue-469-Soldering-Iron-Station-with-EURO-plug/232235709383?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

11 hours ago, Fritag said:

Splendidiferous cockpit (tempted for a mo there to say Bridge..).

Great multimedia modelling :clap2:.  I'm thinking that plastic is so déclassé - I shall have to get the yellow pages out (do we still have them?) to see if there are some local metalwork night classes (do we still have them?).

:lol: Hie thee to the local Working Man's Self Improvement class down at the Corn Exchange Steve. Thursday evenings 7-9pm, followed by a pint of stout and a hand of Bezique at the Crooked Mirkin next door. Before you know it you'll be slipping into the local electronics shop and asking for that 'special' solder they keep under the counter...

7 hours ago, AlexN said:

Anyway, your Dornier is coming on like a hou— oops, not the best analogy to use given recent events...

:rofl2:
Let's dance...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I'm finding it an absolute joy to use...

Thanks Tony :) Did you buy the extra tips as well? If so which ones please?

Tempted...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CedB said:

Thanks Tony :) Did you buy the extra tips as well? If so which ones please?

Tempted...

I haven't bought them yet Ced but these will be on my list next pay day:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQARTRQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Short and sweet for you tonight:

36353003884_97899ec305_c.jpg

Door built for the for'ard bulkhead, scrap etch added for hinges and pockets.

The kit joystick does a very good job of matching the actuality, so I simply added a couple of pieces of necessary detail:

36353002734_4924eaf99f_c.jpg

The brass tubing is there to represent the channels on either side that protect the chain running down from the yoke:

36353003174_06aa1c725f_c.jpg

I've no idea what that wire does but it's prominent enough to warrant adding.

Told you it was short, hope you found it sweet.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 13

Good use of spare photo-etch Tony :thumbsup2: 

I'm not entirely sure, but I think maybe the wire/pipe thing on the. control column could be hydraulic system related?

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

On 9/12/2017 at 7:23 PM, CedB said:

Thanks Tony - tips on the shopping list.

Very nice control column :)

Nae bother Ced.:thumbsup2:

On 9/13/2017 at 1:00 AM, stevehnz said:

This is coming together brilliantly, that cockpit detailing is quite superb.

3 hours ago, jrlx said:

Impressive work on the cockpit.  Really turned out superbly!

Steve, Jaime, my thanks for those sentiments.:nodding: The problem with it is, every time I look at the manuals I find a new bit of detail jumping into view. I have to cease this fractal process at a certain point if I'm to avoid any embarrassing 'Well, I got as far as finishing the cockpit' postings by January....:waiting:

2 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Good use of spare photo-etch Tony :thumbsup2: 

I'm not entirely sure, but I think maybe the wire/pipe thing on the. control column could be hydraulic system related?

I've no doubt that's the case TT. Truth is I'm feeling just too damn lazy now this evening to go hunting through the manual...:yawn:

More etch scrap to follow below in homage to Steptoe & Son, which I've been listening to on the radio the last few evenings and marvelling at the depth of the writing involved. There's a UK comedy channel I sometimes listen to via the TuneIn app with the cans on that plays back-to-back episodes of that and things like I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, The Men from the Ministry etc. Mrs. B is periodically startled in the wee hours by me braying like a zebra at a particularly juicy bon mot....

I've made up some forward decking for the nose of the aircraft since we last spoke:

36827559070_95cb22e384_c.jpg

The edges had to be shaped inwards at an angle in order to match the thickness and curvature of the fuselage in this part of the aircraft, plus I ran the rivetting tool along the floor, for what it's worth. Here it is glued-on with some scrap plastic reinforcing underneath to buttress the join:

36387979834_93d7c195db_c.jpg

You can just about make out in that shot that I've also added to throttle and flap levers to the central IP console.

I added the control collumn also, and used some scrap card to build the curved cover at the base which protects the lower control mechanism from the pilot's legs/feet:

37225544915_2a1c47e67c_c.jpg

In addition there were some similar levers (I think something to do with the fuel system) above the door in the rear bulkhead to be added in a likewise fashion:

36827561400_7c975064f7_c.jpg

That was a bit fiddly to get right, but nonetheless necessary to complete work on that region:

37034924366_eb77f7f2e7_c.jpg

The lozeng-shaped hole next to it is deliberate - there is a control linkage of some kind going back through there and down the length of the aircraft - which I shan't be adding due to it being too fragile a structure to attempt at 1/72:

37034927816_54d8c2b417_c.jpg

Coming together:

36387976694_cec6489f49_c.jpg

Belatedly I realize I haven't done any work on detailing the cockpit walls, so some scratchery forthcoming on that soon.

Tony

• Like 20

20 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

36827561400_7c975064f7_c.jpg

Now that's the money shot right there.   The detailing by itself looked good but by bringing the assembly together... Wow !     The sum of the parts.... as they say.

Very nice work.

• Like 5

It's been a pleasure to watch this cockpit detailing layering up. Now as the full picture comes together I'm wondering...

... never mind the cutaway proposal, or hatches open, what about no fuselage skin at all? It'd be like a pop-up book version of your reference manual!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I was wondering if it was the brake controls.....and then I thought....d'oh....!!:banghead:  And little t said...:dinosaur: ''you wally'' !!

Most exquisite cockpit scratchbuilding there Herr Baron....

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2017 at 5:29 PM, hendie said:

The sum of the parts.... as they say.

Thanks hendie.:thumbsup2:

I think I may have taken a wrong turn in life when not becoming an interior decorator. As long as you wanted your living room done in Dornier...

Tbh, it isn't hard to get enthusiastic about doing this aircraft up - you mentioned some little time ago a certain steampunk aesthetic to it and having been fashioning bits and bobs for it, I would heartily concur. I'm surprised it never showed up droning overhead in Alan Moore / Kevin O'Neill's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen graphic novels (not the cruddy film it got butchered into).

It most definitely has a sympathetic vibe...

Captain-Nemo-League-Extraordinary-Gentle

On 9/14/2017 at 6:25 PM, pheonix said:

You should have the rest of the interior finished by Christmas at this rate

Fate. You are tempting it. :lol:

22 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Lovely detailing in the cockpit. That's going to look great under a coat of paint.

Thanks Nigel. From certain angles you could be back in an 18th Century church in that cockpit. Something Lutheran and severe...

21 hours ago, greggles.w said:

... never mind the cutaway proposal, or hatches open, what about no fuselage skin at all? It'd be like a pop-up book version of your reference manual!

:lol: Would you believe greggles that in the mad wee hours a few nights back I had a mental picture of this with a vacformed transparent fuselage in order to feature the interior.

But come morning I realized that I would have to put Wonder Woman in it...

latest?cb=20081116040159

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I was wondering if it was the brake controls.....and then I thought....d'oh....!!

Engage the Caterpillar Drive!

hqdefault.jpg

18 hours ago, CedB said:

Great work on the internals Tony, great work :)

I'm over-compensating for never being allowed to dissect the frog in biology at school...

16 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Early signs indicate to me that this could be your best build yet, the detailing thus far is excellent to say the least.

Oh sir! I blush...

5048-orig.jpg?itok=YA_U47Gc

I shall not fail you, my xenomorphic sensei.....

11 hours ago, Fritag said:

First class, top drawer + miscellaneous other superlatives......none which will quite do justice to such exquisite multi-media modelling - but one must try :clap2:

Not often Lord Byron is stuck for a phrase.;) 

My thanks for those kind sentiments Steve...as to the multimedia aspect, I just knew that watching all those Blue Peter projects building oil rigs and the like from toilet rolls and spaghetti back in the 70s would one day come into their own...

11 hours ago, JWM said:

Terrific work on this inside. Is it possible to open canopy in some way?

Dziękuję Jerzy.:thumbsup2:

Providentially quite a lot of the canopy can be slid back to reveal the interior of the cockpit - I've marked these panels in red below. The blue regions are those accesspanels and doors in the fuselage and motor gondola that I'm going to open up as well:

37101975861_c24885e49d_b.jpg

A gratuitous picture of George Clinton to kick-off proceedings tonight because Funkraum:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-RDnqpgzmGKocILbFcEC

Bryan, from the magnificent Seawings flying-boat website very kindly sent me a whole bundle of reference materials last weekend, and I have had a most delicious time this week extracting the full photographic goodness from them - most particularly in the matter of the radio room (funkraum) directly behind the cockpit. A tip of the chapeau to you Bryan for your kindness!

In actual fact, the radio room is a dual-space, with the radio gear, morse key etc. to starboard, and a chart table and sundry items for navigation over to port.The technical documentation is excellent on the minutiae for this space within the aircraft (as it is for all of them), but being designed to give essential information to people working on and in the aircraft, does not always give the required synoptic view of such spaces that is sometimes necessary to place things in the correct relationship to each other regarding height etc. from a modelling perspective.

Amidst Bryan's haul was that one key photograph of the radio room that connected the dots, so-to-speak.

in and around other tasks over the past coupleof days therefore, I've been able to use the odd spare minutes here and there to start accumulating detail and then putting it all together this evening.

First up is the table by the radio gear:

36406502064_89792196d3_c.jpg

A simple enough job to rustle up with piano wire legs. There's a semi-Bauhausian chair to go with that - 

- no, not this you fools:

b1.jpg

-this sort of thing:

zeitlos-berlin_cantilever-tubular-steel-

So after fixing the table temporarily in place, I knocked this out of some scrap with a 5mm punch to form the base of the seat:

37053642546_120824768e_c.jpg

I then bent some fuse wire around a (slightly larger) 6mm tube to make the curved back rest:

36429641353_f9bbe7b91c_c.jpg ...before soldering-on some arms:

37053643616_cacbb17b90_c.jpg

The photograph Bryan supplied shows the actual seat to be bent from a single run of tubing but at this scale it is simply easier to solder the required returns in place.

To dispel any impression given in my posts that I work in a calm, methodical manner, whilst seeing how these went together, I promptly dropped both parts onto the carpet and spent 15 minutes with a torch searching for the blighters. Only in the course of these manoeuvres did I irritatingly discover just how many circular things now inhabit the gruesome void:

36429641813_decf751b74_c.jpg

Anyway, honour restored and both sections glued together. 

37053645216_2bfb2e055b_c.jpg

A single piece of 0.8mm tubing as a support, and then that too now added to the table:

36429642433_4fd72fd17a_c.jpg

Again, the actual seat has four splayed legs rather than a single central one but at this scale, strength in place of accuracy on a detail that will be invisible...

Not so long ago the sage and erudite @hendie mentioned scavenging through old electrical items as a fruitful source for radio boxes and the like, so I had great fun seeing what makes an Xbox controller and multiband radio work:

37053647446_5161252eed_c.jpg

Plenty of the necessary there!

From this, I was able to add a Morse-key to the table, and possibly the weirdest bit of kit that sits on the other end of the table, that looks halfway between an scannelling tunnelling electron microscope and a lampshade:

36429643353_0fb0aa2421_c.jpg

I'll look up the German translation of it over the weekend as tonight I've caught a stinking sweating cold off of the children who've been of school the last couple of days and am feeling increasingly groggy as the evening wears on.

Having got that in place, I moved to the bulkhead separating this space from the cockpit, and began adding the navigation table, radio grear and conduits to it:

37053648216_5cbc1c6122_c.jpg

I then joined the radio room to that growing length of floor and used up some more salvaged electronic components to add some representative radio boxes above the operator's desk:

37072046562_f19bd75004_c.jpg

You can also see that there's a back on the chair there now as well:

36406505164_4f758545d9_c.jpg

Having glued that rearmost bulkhead in - the one that leads to the fuel-tank room (tankraum):

37072048202_a07cee09e0_c.jpg

...but then seeing it in the above photo, it simply looked far too crude, so I've pulled it off with pliers and will make a better job of building a replacement. The navigation table is also a millimetre or so too low I see. Where's the pliers...:unamused:

That's all for the present. 

Tony

• Like 19

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The navigation table is also a millimetre or so too low I see.

You may see now Tony, bet you won't when the fuselage is together! 

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Where's the pliers...

No stopping you perfectionists though, is there...?! :winkgrin:

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

- no, not this you fools:

b1.jpg

Glad to see that Bela's not quite dead yet then. (one of my all time favorite singles)

Again, the actual seat has four splayed legs rather than a single central one but at this scale, strength in place of accuracy on a detail that will be invisible...

wonderful piece of modeling and imagination

Not so long ago the sage and erudite @hendie mentioned...

hold on while I stroke my beard...

From this, I was able to add a Morse-key to the table, and possibly the weirdest bit of kit that sits on the other end of the table, that looks halfway between an scannelling tunnelling electron microscope and a lampshade:

I repeat... wonderful piece of modeling and imagination

and used up some more salvaged electronic components to add some representative radio boxes above the operator's desk:

it's quite exciting what you can find in there (I see this happening again in a build of a helicopter possibly coming sooner than I had planned)

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That's all for the present. 

and what a great update that was.   Incredibly enjoyable.

• Like 1