Supermarine S6B - Eastern Express 1/72

Welcome back Sir Ced of the Red Bonce! Hope the belly gets better soon too - if it wasn't the panini, I'd say the 'off milk' would be prime suspect...!!:sick:

And why on earth would you want a Hasegawa Spit Mk1 or an Academy XIV? Oh, I forgot, glutton for punishment....!!:lol:

Keith

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CedB said:

As usual I forgot to pack my Tilley hat and Panama

Oops! Lucky that you'r not in the Southern Hemisphere with its Big Ozone Layer HoleTM (still :( ), or you would also be in danger of a nice dose o' skin cancer (if you kept it up ha ha and continued to go out without yer titfer - but you would learn sharpish anyway).

Nice to have you back, sorry to hear of the 'Montezuma's Revenge' (sort of), too.

What now?

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: just whispered in my ear that we forgot all about having a thread(bare) party whilst you was gorn - he specs that everyone was too busy! And just as well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Procopius said:

'Tis merely a crimson crown of distinction, Ced.

Thanks PC! :D

16 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

More like a warning beacon ......

We must remember to wear a hat when out in the sun..

We all do it. Forget that is LOL.

Glad you had a great time Ced, and some new brews as well.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) To be fair to me I do remember to wear a hat when in the sun, I just don't always remember to pack one!

Page 6, oh dear...

Thanks Giorgio :) I fear that the temperature of the beer and the presence of bubbles may be one of the reasons that international integration will always remain a 'hope for the future' :D

Thanks Keith :) Oh no, have I bought another pup? I did search on BM for reviews but couldn't find many - I should have realised that this was a warning and not a sign of rarity!

Thanks Rob :) No salmon mousse for me... not with all those Oysters and Breton 'how much butter can you get into pastry' delicacies around.

Thanks Johnny :) I do have a LOT of catching up to do (see below)

Thanks Alex :) What now? Finish this one and then choose from the stash (later)

Still wobbly this morning. Weird. I usually have a pretty strong constitution so, like most men, when something gets me it 'gets me good'. :sick:

I also have 360 notifications to catch up on - crikey chaps, you've been busy!

I have started to attend to these strut ends.

37175355575_5e5bc36343_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Probably. And I've got out the EZLine for the inter-strut struts.

And ordered some drills (thanks Tony).

More later, hopefully.

• Like 9

Hope you recover soon, Ced :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Thanks Giorgio :) I fear that the temperature of the beer and the presence of bubbles may be one of the reasons that international integration will always remain a 'hope for the future' :D

Well, integration doesn't mean annihilating differences, so there's still hope :) No bubbles for me either, though :wink: 

Ciao

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Oh no, have I bought another pup?

What my more learned Spitfire friends said, Ced! I actually haven't built the 72nd one, did build the 48th in pre-internet days & do remember it being a pleasant build & at the time knew nothing of the accuracy 'problems'. But when aware of them it does looka bit cartoonish, & it's little brother is apparently pretty similar.

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio - getting better all the time thanks :)

Thanks PC - a pleasant build is a reassurance, sort of. Bloated? I prefer to call it 'well upholstered'  :)

Thanks Simon - a quick look does show nice internals but as far as molding them goes... hmmm. Have to be pretty thin to avoid lots of sanding. I hope I'll enjoy building it; we shall see! :)

Thanks Keith - I'll be happy if it builds well and easily :)

I'm hoping to get some bench time tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

• Like 3

Actually got some time in before bed tonight. I thought I'd sand down the filler on the strut bottoms.

Having done that I thought 'Why not rig those cross struts?'.

'Cos it's a pain, that's why.

I have those PE CA applicators and some kicker so obviously the theory is apply a dot of CA to the location, insert the EZLine and then kick it.

Tools at the ready:

36797470790_0651873132_z.jpg

A drop or two of CA in the little black dish that came with the Mr Hobby applicator set.

A bit of yellow PostIt over the drop that fell on the diagram. Tip: put this on the drop before you rest your hand in it to avoid cursing.

Apply drop of CA to model where you want the line to go.

Hold model in suitable position so you can see the location.

Rest end of line in drop, holding with tweezers. With your third hand, apply kicker.

Tug on line - fixed.

Repeat with other end after cutting line a little too short so it stretches into place. At this point the line looks like it's fixed. Let go.

Twang. Line fixes itself under wing. Curse. Prise off.

You now have kicker and CA at the locating point.

Apply another dot of CA.

Attempt to remove instantly glued applicator from model. Curse.

Apply dot of CA to end of line and position with tweezers. With your other, fourth hand, apply kicker. Pray.

After lots of cursing it's done:

36358124374_c233f17bc1_z.jpg

Thanks goodness. ready for some paint in the morning.

At least the 'accident' with the applicator and kicker gave me an excuse to try the new PE scissors. With PC's warning in my head I positioned the blades such that the top one was against the lug and the lower one was 'under' the part like this:

36380943793_e5bcc78954_z.jpg

Can you see that? No? Imagine how I felt trying to get a photo of it! Anyway, I hope you get the idea. The cut part looks like this:

36380943713_1c53cf808a_z.jpg

Just one nub (the first cut) which I was able to cut off with the scissors - they're really sharp.

It is fiddly getting the blade close to the part but once there the scissors go through the PE like a knife through butter. Nice.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Hmmm... a bit similar to the RBP glue applicators, except with a loop tip, not (adjustable) prongs as with the RB item.

I was going to add a laugh 'like' on your post for the amusing description of your trials and tribulations, so it's probably just as well that I'm out o' abreactions. I am currently quite ill and my brain is working more weirdly as a result ( no sympathy expected, by the way - just an explanation).

Looking good, though - nearly done?

Cough gurgle wheeze,

the alex. :sheep: <-- this ratbag is as fit as anything

• Like 1

Thanks Alex :) I'm still not 100% this morning, what Mrs B calls 'clammy', so I hope we're both feeling better soon.

Thanks Giorgio - nearly there, just the main struts to do. :)

I had an idea that I could run a nano-brush along the edges of the nano-canopy and get a nice frame.

37009881796_917c0d7234_z.jpg

Just like I thought I could do on the... whatever it was I was doing last time I tried this. Of course I slipped again, but it was soon scraped off, gently, with one of my treasured flat-tipped toothpicks:

37028384692_847f85f31b_z.jpg

I also used the nano-brush to touch up the sanded struts and paint the EZLine:

37200172395_dfdfb5abd4_z.jpg

Yes, one did come loose but that's expected I guess.

In more important news, David Slater has won his copyright case for the 'selfie' that Naruto the crested macaque took and that was widely publicised and used by people like me as their screen saver. I've now replaced it with a picture of Molly. So there.

• Like 13

Vey informative (and amusing) description of your rigging technique. Needing four hands sounded familiar......

The model is looking really good - and completed so quickly too. You will have built a squadron in the time I need to build one aeroplane!

P

• Thanks 1

Thanks pheonix - I really must grow some more arms (cue Martian!) :)

Thanks Keith - glad to hear I'm using 'the approved method' :D

Top struts are in:

37204385245_8d4bdc614b_z.jpg

Not much drama there... or was there? One of Stewart Francis's one liners. Love that guy. More here.

Just the wing to float struts left now and I think I have enough squashed tube but, just in case, I've ordered some more.

Oh, and a new pointy brush (I didn't look after the current one)

And a new set of applicators (I didn't look after the current one)

And a sucky pick-up tool. I hope it doesn't suck... no, wait... oh, you know what I mean.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, CedB said:

I really must grow some more arms (cue Martian!) :)

Never one to disappoint; I could rig that with just two tentacles!

Looking good Ced.

Martian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm still not 100% this morning, what Mrs B calls 'clammy',

Nowt worse than a clammy Ced. Enough to put a macaque of its photography...:photo:

Hope that you're feeling a tad revived today. :thumbsup2:

Despite the travails, handsome progress and humour. Well done on maintaining both.

Tony

• Thanks 1

Thanks Martian :D

Cheers Tony :) Yes, feeling a tad better this evening and able to have some Heinz Cream of Tomato, my 'go to' food when I'm feeling under par. With a cheese sandwich. No, not Cheddar (unusually), it was the remains of the Pont-l'Évêque we brought back from Brittany. Wikipedia says "It is probably the oldest Norman cheese still in production" and it certainly smells like it! Although we love it it does... how can I put it... stink. Every time we opened the car door on the trip back we were hit by its pungency. If that doesn't kill off any remaining bugs in my insides, nothing will.

After fitting the balances and touch ups she's ready for transfers:

36812922200_cbb26ed99b_z.jpg

I used the nano-brush again for the touch up. I'm really liking them for small jobs; plenty of volume in the brush (for its size), doesn't seem to dry like my Tamiya small points and doesn't leave brush marks. Recommended!

By the way, I remembered when the other accident with the brush was - back when I was painting the rib on the underside. Got there eventually. Sad old...

• Like 11

Thanks Simon :)

Choices are:

- Italeri Sunderland Mk III in white(ish)

- Airfix Catalina

- Airfix Ju52 or

- Airfix Grumman Gosling.

Should I hold an election?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1