+++ FINISHED! +++ Dornier Do 24T, Luftwaffe Seenotgruppe 3, 1942 (Italeri 1/72)

jrlx

EDIT:

This was my entry to the Flying Boats and Float Planes GB, which I hosted. As usual, I didn't manage to finish the build before the GB deadline. As I may take some time to finish it, due to several real life obligations, I decided to move the thread to the Aircraft WIP area.

This was my last post before moving the thread here.

Thanks all for looking.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

As the original proponent of the "Flying boats and float planes" GB it is my obligation to participate with an entry that, hopefully, will be interesting to follow.

I'm chronically short of time for modelling and my GB track record is shameful: I only managed to finish an entry in the recent Prototypes GB, not to mention a half built Bf 109 E4 moved to and finished in a KUTA GB. All other entries where finished after the deadline or are still to be finished one day. So, I decided to choose something that could be built out of the box but also not too scandalously easy.

All things considered, I chose Italeri's Dornier Do 24T:

140960-11185-27-pristine.jpg

The kit is a 2013 retooling of the original 1978 kit. It looks well detailed in the box and comes with a small PE fret for detailing the cockpit and a few external bits. Another plus, considering my objectives, is the absence of rigging (there are only two aerials to install).

EDIT: there's also simple cross-rigging between the wing struts but nothing too frightening.

I'll build paint scheme A, a RLM 73/RLM 72 top, RLM 65 underside plus yellow under-wing tips and tail band:

y4mXEQzucSdBSUX7gDoUwah0aXaAahyFBeHtewF0

IMAG4908

Unfortunately, in my brief search online I couldn't find any information on this specific aircraft. From the Group name we can only know it was used for maritime search and rescue operations.

Anyway, I can't resist a Luftwaffe aircraft with yellow under-wing tips, so this will be the chosen scheme :wub:

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 18

4 hours ago, greggles.w said:

Great launch subject!  And so we're underway thank you ..

g.

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Good luck with your project Jaime and with your GB! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

4 hours ago, Fatboydim said:

Hello Jaime, nice subject. Good luck, Joe :D

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice subject Jaime - looking forward to this :):popcorn: 

Greggles, Stix, Joe, Ced, thank you all for your interest and good wishes 😊

2 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

And there it is, oh bouy, the first pun of the GB!

This is going to be good, shame I'm working today

Michael

That's a good one,  Michael 😀 I didn't notice it at first sight! 

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AlexN said:

Nice!

Thanks Alex! I'm looking forward to starting it but I also have my entry to the MiG 29 GB to finish until 1 October. Let's see how I manage both builds. 

Cheers

Jaime 

• Haha 1

Are we off? Excellent :clap: !!

Wonderful choice of model subject.

I'm really looking forward to seeing you put this together Jaime.

Dorniers are nice :D

Best regards

TonyT 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Are we off? Excellent :clap: !!

Wonderful choice of model subject.

I'm really looking forward to seeing you put this together Jaime.

Dorniers are nice :D

Best regards

TonyT 

Thanks Tony! I agree this Dornier is simply too gorgeous to be resisted 😊

Cheers 

Jaime

• Like 1

I built this in the original issue about 5 years ago, nice kit, goes together well, the wing struts can be awkward, I positioned a couple of the struts, then built a jig to support the wing in the right place while I added the others . . .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MadNurseGaz said:

I built this in the original issue about 5 years ago, nice kit, goes together well, the wing struts can be awkward, I positioned a couple of the struts, then built a jig to support the wing in the right place while I added the others . . .

Thanks a lot for the tips! I'll keep them in mind when I get to that phase of the build.

Cheers

Jaime

Very interesting to see another Dornier variant being built. This should provide an interesting contrast with the Do 18 from the Baron. I think the choice of colour scheme is excellent - the yellow tips and band add a splash of colour to what can be otherwise rather drab schemes. Will be following with interest.

P

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SAU said:

Great subject and it is a beautiful flying boat.

I think more correct it's from 3/Seenotgruppe later to be Seenotstaffel 3.

A good online reference is History of the Dornier Do 24 but I haven't manage to find a picture of the real plane or any CD+.. code there.

Thanks Jan! I've also looked for info on this code in the Dornier 24 site but there's none. Even the editor of the site says he would contact Italeri to get more info on this specific aircraft but, apparently, didn't follow through:

The German Do-24T-1 is a bit puzzling to me as I can't find any information about a CD+BH, a Stammzeichen that has not been used by Aviolanda, Fokker or S.N.C.A.-N.. The aircraft was supposed to be in service with Seenotgruppe III, a unit with very little background information. I will try to get in contact with Italeri and maybe they have some information about this aircraft.

1 hour ago, pheonix said:

Very interesting to see another Dornier variant being built. This should provide an interesting contrast with the Do 18 from the Baron. I think the choice of colour scheme is excellent - the yellow tips and band add a splash of colour to what can be otherwise rather drab schemes. Will be following with interest.

P

Thanks, phoenix! I agree the yellow makes the scheme much more interesting. As I said in the initial post, I can't resist a Luftwaffe aircraft scheme with yellow wing tips and tail bands! :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

The old LEMB luftwaffe site had a seperate but associated site with listing of Stammkenzeichen. I should have copied it in hind sight, but as usual assumed it would always be about. It disappeared afaik or can find when LEMB closed. Hopefully someone did save it & may see this thread, or perhaps worth putting a request out for info.

Steve.

15 hours ago, stevehnz said:

The old LEMB luftwaffe site had a seperate but associated site with listing of Stammkenzeichen. I should have copied it in hind sight, but as usual assumed it would always be about. It disappeared afaik or can find when LEMB closed. Hopefully someone did save it & may see this thread, or perhaps worth putting a request out for info.

Steve.

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Steve if you know where the listing was you could try the 'Wayback Machine' web archive. Might be able to recover something? HTH

LEMB through archive.is

I tried that too and only got to a Ju 88 connected to CD+BH so unfortunately no luck there

• Like 1

22 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Steve.

17 hours ago, CedB said:

Steve if you know where the listing was you could try the 'Wayback Machine' web archive. Might be able to recover something? HTH

6 hours ago, SAU said:

LEMB through archive.is

I tried that too and only got to a Ju 88 connected to CD+BH so unfortunately no luck there

Hi Gents,

Thanks a lot for the interest and effort to locate more information on this aircraft. I'm afraid I couldn't find any more information as well. It seems I have a strange tendency to always choose the camouflage scheme for which there's no or very little info available... :wall:

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great choice of kit. I'll follow along if you don't mind and watch that you get this one finished.:popcorn::devil:

John. :cat:

Thanks for the interest, John! I have a lot of incentive for finishing this one, as being the original proponent of the GB it would be shameful not to...

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1
  • Haha 1