+++ FINISHED! +++ Dornier Do 24T, Luftwaffe Seenotgruppe 3, 1942 (Italeri 1/72)

jrlx

4 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice paint job and chipping! :)

Håkan

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Agreed - very nice Jaime and I think you've got it just right - good job :) 

Håkan, Ced,

Thank you very much! The chipping process could have been easier if I didn't let the paint dry for so long. It seems that paint must be applied when the chipping fluid has just dried, and the chipping must also be carried out immediately when the paint has just dried.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Who doesn’t like chips? 😋

Brilliant work kid. Muchos, impestos.

Johnny

Thank you, Johnny! Much appreciated! :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi again,

Continuing with the updating of this thread, the next step was repairing some spots that were damaged when removing the masking tape. For that purpose, I used highly thinned paint, applied in fine coats with a detail brush. The following pictures show the results.

Repair of the hull painting aft of the starboard sponson:

y4mxJm2RFsmXce9eZcw_rHGDib8R_-V1qDn_AzWm

IMAG5358

Repair of excessive chipping on the underside of the starboard sponson:

y4mqhbfHWVZucf3eGzflOXTqzQXS_S8F4Tclv4zb

IMAG5359

Repair of excessive chipping on the light blue area of one of the engine nacelles (I should have repaired also the dark green area, as I found out when applying the decals):

y4myJ--YK4LkoxUaUOt8XPCta4XvCnUaDUssn2xW

IMAG5360

And, finally, repair of excessive chipping on the top of the fuselage (on the lower left hand of the walkway and on the delimitation of camouflage colours on the walkway):

y4mtDRtF4JzM2V9PhKOqokg-vRNan1SoPSlaiTRx

IMAG5362

Next, I had to paint the yellow areas of the fuselage and wings. Starting with the tail yellow band, I delimited the white "primer" band:

y4mw2b4_usD3w6tuFZ2R1b6JS3-y7u9DAKOGeEjS

IMAG5361

y4m2a4TOtMvc6pDQ4pyuR349hJCYtbat1qZvp83u

IMAG5363

The tail and half of the fuselage was protected with kitchen cling-film:

y4mRoLnhX_p__EcCzRIx-0jNdq2rS40GuoS2pN17

IMAG5364

On the wings, I removed the masking of the underwing tips, exposing the white "primer":

y4m-0uRduhAqBcRUv3KJSRb3Lh78RroUueFtIO_q

IMAG5365

Next, I delimited the white area with masking tape:

y4mDbAKRleZ7tpiG1juWvvM5q_Q9fbE_WHM-MNcz

IMAG5366

The protection of the underwing RLM65 Blue was completed:

y4mUZr8jLvKuTTgv3lmq3ad32WsQEdythPMvfIDY

IMAG6367

The top of the wing was masked along the edges of the tips and the whole top surface was also protected:

y4mHUkYP4kp2K_UTS79g-hzppUuUGMQTrQ3DqySc

IMAG5368

The RLM04 Yellow areas were, then painted, and the masking was removed after allowing the paint to dry for a few hours:

y4mfNIgFYmbjfgSF4qYU7xG4z45yH4R94q9CwMbh

IMAG5371

y4mLv8OV5rguRN1uM-pWRaTfBIRkH3RCVJM3z9j6

IMAG5372

y4mhRCdfrcxggbM8-_2haUzpHW2vCv30npIMbzSl

IMAG5373

y4mf5R8cLpLAJpLsCMXRuNmp2Nm3fta4oPgJjAA5

IMAG5374

y4mmwquBDXmxHmORptZV09_aySRtG8-xQQ_mH4Ug

IMAG5375

The main painting was, now, complete.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice work! The yellow fields look very nice! :)

Håkan

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Gosh, that's really starting to look quite a big aircraft now the colours are showing it up so well. Excellent stuff Jaime.

Håkan, Tony,

Thank you very much for your appreciation! It really is a big aircraft, my biggest build till now. It's also been a great learning experience regarding weathering techniques specific to sea planes. Some have already been shown in this thread but the most interesting will be posted in the next few days.

Cheers

Jaime

Good work Jaime, not a bit of overspray or seepage, nice :) 

Good work on the touch ups too - you'd never know they were there...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CedB said:

Good work Jaime, not a bit of overspray or seepage, nice :) 

Good work on the touch ups too - you'd never know they were there...

Thanks, Ced! You're very kind, as always!

Indeed I was very fortunate that the masking worked well overall, in spite of the few extra chipping it originated (due to the chipping fluid under the paint) but which was relatively easy to fix.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi again,

With the painting concluded and a good Aqua Gloss coat on, the next step was applying the decals. Here's the work space set up just for that:

y4mjf3-md-3g7crhXqlexyOtFMKJswqlyQj1juh0

IMAG5376

Inspection of the decals and instructions revealed that decals nº 9 and 10 had their identification numbers switched in the instructions:

y4mNLI3EZ60KOh3YYsxWpKFaH_dOClxyr3cEb-jJ

IMAG5360

Decals nº 9 should be placed inside the yellow walkway lines on the top of the wing, while decals nº 10 should be placed on the aileron and elevator trims.

The decal application was carried out without any issues, as these are Cartograph-printed decals. I used decal setting and solvent solutions and the decals reacted well. I had to use swastikas from a swastika decal sheet, as these are not present in the kit's decals. I used pictures of real aircraft to determine the correct size and location on the tail fins.

Here are the results:

y4mQqFrlT-z6v1txdlge6DqaN5yXx2z30GUXXIYv

IMAG5377

y4m0yLY6wAgUR8fTLKvoi8t88MMCPCUHkcQYqJAT

IMAG5378

y4mhnidCF_fFHkhCT4nQ4KjSHZdPZVZCmHVMQ2Bx

IMAG5379

y4moqhDvp00nE63wVzgLyLt3PPFCQj3hKKhCUG6a

IMAG5380

I had to damage the walkway line decals and stencils to blend them with the chipping on the wing surface:

y4mErTk-SFKYgLgtCCChuogKVn8wuRntERTrNNPT

IMAG5381

y4mp11Pj6EJOiVNAW6a3Mdyds1VgwBHYdHYSyoFU

IMAG5382

On the other hand, I had to repair the chipping around the BMW logo on one of the engine nacelles (the one on the left in the picture):

y4mZ9nD7gW0WEkUH2Mk3t3Lp4ORKfZbxImupJrN1

IMAG5384

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 10

Hello Jaime. First of all: That looks really great. Although I like clean planes more, it has to be washed as you did it, when  the original was washed  formerly in it's real life.  By the way, strangely to see that big swastika on it's fin. They were that big then!! and I knew putting them also onto my models years ago, when they were allowed here (till 1978).

But nothing unusual for that batty Germans in the 30th of the 20 century. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Jaime. First of all: That looks really great. Although I like clean planes more, it has to be washed as you did it, when  the original was washed  formerly in it's real life.  By the way, strangely to see that big swastika on it's fin. They were that big then!! and I knew putting them also onto my models years ago, when they were allowed here (till 1978).

But nothing unusual for that batty Germans in the 30th of the 20 century. Cheers

Thank you, Benedikt! Indeed, these aircraft could be a bit weathered, as can be seen in the pictures I linked to in a previous post but it's possible I'm overdoing it a bit. Anyway, the most spectacular weathering is still to be posted... :)

Regarding the swastikas, as shown in pictures of real aircraft, they were quite big:

Do-24_p256.jpg

Do-24_p105.jpg

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3

5 hours ago, amblypygid said:

Brilliant work, Jaime. I wish I'd chipped mine now, though I doubt the result would be anywhere near as good as that that you have achieved. 

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Chipping the decals? Brilliant! Amazing work Jaime :) 

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Sweet result on the decalling Jaime - those extra touches all adding up now to something quite special.

4 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Very nice work with the decals! Looks great! :)

Håkan

Chris, Ced, Tony, Håkan,

Thank you very much for your interest and appreciation! It's my first use of these weathering techniques, so I'm learning and enjoying the process!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3

Hi again,

After decaling, another Aqua Gloss coat was applied to seal the decals and get the parts ready for further weathering.

The next weathering step was meant to simulate salt accumulation on the surfaces of the aircraft that were above the water and subject to sea water spray. For this, I airbrushed a fine mist of AMMO Mig's Rainmark Effects, highly diluted in enamel thinner, on the fuselage top surfaces, top and bottom surfaces of the wing and all the smaller parts (engine nacelles, wing struts, etc). It should be noted that, previously to this, I had applied a coat of chipping fluid to all said surfaces and parts.

After allowing a short drying time, I used a large flat brush dipped in clear water to remove the excess Rainmark Effects coat. This was done moving the brush in the direction of airflow. Almost all the excess was removed, leaving just some accumulations on panel lines and a subtle shadowing on the rest of the surfaces. The following pictures try to show the resulting effects, though these were dependent on the lighting angle.

Overall view of the fuselage:

y4m2E6tu3ExiESmTIfcXO42R2FMLiketpfVLEkDl

IMAG5385

Detailed views of the fuselage:

y4ml_FEcXuOLIe6e3aONM4uEMkOmTyUeoLWUK2SJ

IMAG5386

y4mq7BN4yFWzjT_ti9Imaw0mwQFDg18zLsHOc9bd

IMAG5387

y4myzAz3Ph-sYNDWgTlbNf-DdTfQxB3jRbzpKhkc

IMAG5388

Details on the wing's top surface:

y4mGgLgAQbVurnw--nWB7c0tu8HQhjVku9_H1jFy

IMAG5389

y4mw1aBPwZVzyW5NSGgVCW7XQeBNKN2NqlM5V5YB

IMAG5390

Details of the wing's underside:

y4mM94cKPF1nebOl2wq9arU00oaX_9ehECz1tZLL

IMAG5391

y4m0LTbFJJMslN2pEZhqDiXWP83f903mEGow7wJM

IMAG5392

These effects were later further cut down, after application of the matte coating. Anyway, they didn't disappear completely and still add to the weathered look of the aircraft.

Thanks for looking,

Jaime

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Oberleutnant said:

How do you guys find Italeri?

I read mixed views on them - some relatively scathing!

Hi, thanks for your interest.

This is my only Italeri build in which I have made a significant progress. The other is Italeri's Mig-29A but I've spent most of the build till now (currently on hold) taking care of the after-market resin parts I'm adding to the kit.

So, regarding the Do-24 kit, here are my views:

• Fit is generally good, but I had to fill in the joins between the wing sections and between the sponsons and fuselage. I still have to glue the fuselage, wing struts and wing together, so I can't evaluate that step of the build yet
  • Good detail in the cockpit and engines, the machine guns are not bad either (for plastic parts)
  • There's a lot of surface detail: a mix of recessed panel lines, raised panel lines and rivets. I'm sure there will be people who won't like it but it didn't bother me. In fact, it seems that a lot more panel lines could be seen in real pictures.
  • The kit comes with a PE fret but the instrument panel has no detail for the instruments (it's not a multi-layer panel, like Eduard's current approach, or a metal part + acetate with instruments; there's no decal for instruments either). However, this is a minor point, as the instrument panel can't really be seen through the cockpit windows.
  • The PE walkways are very difficult to bend on the edges (there should be a slight bend, delimiting the walkways laterally)
  • The worst parts of the kit are the transparent parts for the side windows (really bad but, again, there's nothing to look at inside) and the gun turrets (a bit thick). The transparent part for the cockpit windows is very clear and distortion free but didn't fit perfectly on the fuselage.
  • The instructions are reasonably good but some details are a bit vague (ex: installation of the rear turret, demarcation of the camouflage in the German aircraft) and there was an error on the decal scheme of the German aircraft (decals nº 9 should be nº 10 and vice-versa)
  • The decals are very good (Cartograph)

All in all I'd recommend this kit. Please note that I'm no expert in any aircraft type, so I can't discuss if the kit is accurate or not, but it looks very much like the real thing as shown in period pictures.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 4

Interesting effects with those weathering fluids! Looks good! :)

Never tried any of them, as I've mostly worked with salt or vaseline for chipping, and oils for washes and rain streaks.

Håkan

• Thanks 1

The rain effect isn't at all how I'd thought that product worked; I had expected it to slightly darken the underlying paint and give it a slight sheen. But it looks like a very interesting effect that could be used more widely.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Azgaron said:

Interesting effects with those weathering fluids! Looks good! :)

Never tried any of them, as I've mostly worked with salt or vaseline for chipping, and oils for washes and rain streaks.

Håkan

13 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

The rain effect isn't at all how I'd thought that product worked; I had expected it to slightly darken the underlying paint and give it a slight sheen. But it looks like a very interesting effect that could be used more widely.

Thanks both!

I'm using a mix of the techniques suggested in the Weathering Magazine on Seaplanes I've linked to in a previous post.

The use of the chipping fluid for chipping is well known but it's the first time I've used it successfully. In previous attempts I didn't chip right after the paint was just dry. In fact, I left the chipping till after the model was completely painted, so it didn't work.

Regarding the rainmark effects product, its use for simulating salt marks is suggested in the said magazine. It should be highly thinned and then airbrushed all over the surfaces to weather. Right after airbrushing things look a bit beige but the product can be removed almost completely with a wet paintbrush. In the end I expected a different result but it didn't look too bad as it was.

This fluid is really an enamel paint. I think it usually is applied with a fine paintbrush to simulate rain streaks.

There's a lot more weathering to come :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1