Flory / Ultimate - Washes - WANTED - Opinions / Advice

BIG X

On 9/9/2017 at 6:04 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

I've enjoyed watching how you use the Flory Washes Johnny; great results :thumbsup2: 

I would like to try them, especially given the fact that if I muck it up (in an unintended way :winkgrin:), it can all be taken off again.

I do have a question; what to use to 'lock them in' when pleased with the result? I have W & N Matt varnish and Alclad Aqua gloss. Would these be ok? I was worried the varnish might dissolve the wash, but strongly suspect I've no need to worry at all :shrug: ?

Very grateful for any advice.

Best regards

TonyT

Erm. Excuse the “late” Reply Tony. 

Tamiya top coat. :whistle:

Okay, seen the videos and I am sold, ready to drop my £40+ on the full set BUT .....

which set UMP or Flory?

The UMP set is £44.99 for 9 bottles

The Flory set is £41.32 for 8 bottles

Neither company declares how much is in their bottles - does anyone know - are they the same or do you get more with one of the companies.

Indeed are they the same thing?  UMP are known to rebadge Badger products (their primer for example).

Do either companies make their own stuff or are they just rebadging and possibly from the same supplier.

Cheers,

Nigel

2 hours ago, nheather said:

Okay, seen the videos and I am sold, ready to drop my £40+ on the full set BUT .....

which set UMP or Flory?

The UMP set is £44.99 for 9 bottles

The Flory set is £41.32 for 8 bottles

Neither company declares how much is in their bottles - does anyone know - are they the same or do you get more with one of the companies.

Indeed are they the same thing?  UMP are known to rebadge Badger products (their primer for example).

Do either companies make their own stuff or are they just rebadging and possibly from the same supplier.

Cheers,

Nigel

I went for Flory in the end & I've not been disappointed.  Even with my limited level of ability and failing eyesight they certainly give my meagre efforts a lift - I would recommend them to anyone.

As for bottle size they are 50ml and manufactured in the UK.  Flory only supply direct & not through model shops or internet suppliers in the UK so I think it safe to assume they are different to UMP.  I 'believe' Phil from Flory formulated these himself - clever chap - having spoken to him at various shows - he certainly knows his stuff.

The choice is ultimately yours - but by mixing a few drops of the Flory colours in a shot glass I always seem to get the colour / effect I want.

I hope you find what you need - Steve

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
15 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I cant see this technique mentioned but to me it is scary! Sanding it!!

Martin

Martin

It works a treat. You need to use a fine sanding sponge or a polishing stick but it’s great for getting the effect of really ground in staining. 

I used it on this Tamiya F-14 below a while back. 

50679224947_678756206d_k.jpg64A29866-BCAE-42D1-986E-7FC3098F2E46 by James Halls, on Flickr

50678391338_dd98019433_k.jpgC71BCA85-9B5A-42B8-8579-2CC6F3A4FD02 by James Halls, on Flickr

HTH

James 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

but Jamie, @franky boy, dont the decals get damaged?

You do have to be bit more gentle going over them but in this case they’re quite small which makes things a bit less tricky. 

James 

• Like 1