Unicraft Luft 46 "Schwalbe" Resin Lost Virginity FINISHED

JOCKNEY

Ok here we go, I can't put this off any longer !

Some pictures before I started to extract the parts from the Resin puddle, the final one showing my start time. This kit is displaying all the typical Unicraft traits, i.e. Fuselage is banana shaped, wings look different sizes and you are left to decide where the parts go, as there are no real instructions or alignment points for the parts, however this may be the way things are done with Resin, I wouldn't know !

IMG_2336

IMG_2337

IMG_2338

Right here we go with parts cut out and sanded a bit, but managed to mislay the missiles already ! 

IMG_3593

Good luck everyone, and congratulations to those already finished !

cheers Pat

• Like 7

Looking Good Pat

Those pieces seem to have buffed up well and come away from the blocks reasonably well.  Must agree with Sleeperservice though, those main undercarriage legs won't take the weight for very long.  Might be better to do wheels up, drill a hole in one of the jet exhausts and stuff a rod up the back for an inflight moment.  As you know I find metal coat hangers bent accordingly work very well!!

Good Luck

• Like 1

As the proud owner of one completed Unicraft model, which took me about six months, I'd say that that is pretty challenging! But also very neat. Are you planning on mottling it?

Alan

• Like 1

Hi everyone

Thanks for all the encouragement, I have gouged out the middle of the fuselage with a grinding stone to try and keep the weight down, so plan to try the undercarriage, it only has to last till one minute past midnight Monday night :rofl:

Yes I plan on doing a paint job simular to this

IMG_3596

Calm down it's not a "Blue Peter" moment with the one I did earlier ! This was done by someone who knew what they were doing !

Fuselage took some persuading, had to use the big grips, wings are as good as I can get them, the rest is looking a real challenge 

IMG_3594

IMG_3595

Anyone know how to get a Vacform canopy to fit without wrecking it PLEASE !

cheers Pat

• Like 5

Oh for the love of God! (Other deities may be substituted.)

Vac-form canopy. New scapel blade, next to no pressure you drag the blade along the line don't, whatever you do, push the blade in, it'll end badly.  Fill the canopy with blue tack or plasticine before touching it, or even looking at it too long. They'll give you the best chance.

Under and over engines and Me163 wings. I bet that would have been interesting and rather short ranged.
When you've removed all you think you can from the big lumps keep going another hour. Then you'll be in the right ballpark :)

Hey I've got one of those E.555 thingys. I think I have an idea (not in 24 hours though or maybe....)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SleeperService said:

Oh for the love of God! (Other deities may be substituted.)

Vac-form canopy. New scapel blade, next to no pressure you drag the blade along the line don't, whatever you do, push the blade in, it'll end badly.  Fill the canopy with blue tack or plasticine before touching it, or even looking at it too long. They'll give you the best chance.

Under and over engines and Me163 wings. I bet that would have been interesting and rather short ranged.
When you've removed all you think you can from the big lumps keep going another hour. Then you'll be in the right ballpark :)

Cheers SS

I destroyed my Supermarine 224 canopy / windscreen on my first Vacform so don't want a repeat of that here.

Im not sure I have enough filler, I've just glued the nose section on and it looks like it was fitted in the dark ! The bad news is the rear end is even worse..... why didn't I listen when I was told not to build this :rage:

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SeaPlane said:

Looking Good Pat

Those pieces seem to have buffed up well and come away from the blocks reasonably well.  Must agree with Sleeperservice though, those main undercarriage legs won't take the weight for very long.  Might be better to do wheels up, drill a hole in one of the jet exhausts and stuff a rod up the back for an inflight moment.  As you know I find metal coat hangers bent accordingly work very well!!

Good Luck

Is that wat you can do? Brilliant, I WILL give that a go

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Cheers SS

Im not sure I have enough filler, I've just glued the nose section on and it looks like it was fitted in the dark ! The bad news is the rear end is even worse..... why didn't I listen when I was told not to build this :rage:

cheers Pat

Because you are a will-full young man who won't take instruction. Possibly the end pieces are from another kit, I believe this has happened before from certain bijou suppliers of Gentlemen's Resinous Essentials.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, SleeperService said:

Because you are a will-full young man who won't take instruction. Possibly the end pieces are from another kit, I believe this has happened before from certain bijou suppliers of Gentlemen's Resinous Essentials.

I think you are beginning to know me too well !

Well these bits will have to be made to fit, so if it ends up as rough as a badgers bottom, I have my excuses all ready

;)

• Like 3

Lots of filling later, it looks like this

IMG_3600

IMG_3599

The observant will notice the underwing pylons, which I found when the missiles reappeared, naturally no idea where they go but here looks right and it wouldn't have been hit by the undercarriage, always a result when you are flying something !

Now recovered missiles below under construction 

IMG_3597

This shows the colours I'm going to use, and give an idea of scale.

Lichtblau 76, H247 overall

Granviolett 75, H246 mottling

RLM 02, H240 wheel wells etc

RLM 66, H67 cockpit, air intakes and exhausts

IMG_3598

If this choice isn't correct I apologise, but let's see how it turns out shall we  :shrug:

cheers Pat

• Like 8

Well done Pat :thumbsup: !

What a challenge :frantic: !

It's looking quite tidy now. The main thing with the canopy is not to rush. It takes quite some time, but vac form canopies often look really good and they're worth the extra work :thumbsup2: 

Looking forward to the colours going on.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Well done Pat :thumbsup: !

What a challenge :frantic: !

It's looking quite tidy now. The main thing with the canopy is not to rush. It takes quite some time, but vac form canopies often look really good and they're worth the extra work :thumbsup2: 

Looking forward to the colours going on.

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks Tony

Despite scrubbing the parts in cleaner, the first coat of H247 looks a shocker, so leaving to dry and watching "Match of the Day 2" on the telly with a nice dram of Bowmore and the dogs snoring on the sofa :goodjob:

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Now recovered missiles below under construction 

IMG_3597

On my phone, your file handle with the red and dark green looks very like a Luft46 engine, so if it doesn't work out you could always stick a couple of files together and call it a Flettner/Horten 234 or something...

But it looks like you are winning with the resin. Good luck!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Thanks Adrian,

Really sorry you run out of time with the Phantom, given the size of it and the number of parts it was always going to be ambitious but you can't let it beat you let's get it done before this GB closes.

The cat has knocked the drying aircraft off the kitchen counter and broken the front undercarriage off, one step forward two back !

cheers Pat

• Sad 3

Ye gods and little fishes! A twin-engined Me 163 with a snout-put-on-a-diet! Or through a mangle.

Looking good there Pat - the instructions that I have for the (untouched) resin kits wot I got (MDC, Fisher Models, Planet Models) are definitely bulkier than yours!

Good luck with the u/c legs - and the clock!

Cheers,
Alex. :sheep: says good luck, too :)

• Like 1

Right, this is it, all or nothing for midnight. :frantic:

Just taken a better look at the decals and wish I hadn't, quality control must have had the day off

IMG_3602

I have some Frog Me262 ones somewhere I think they will do instead.

IMG_3601

photo above shows bits drying ready for attachment, the rest of the aircraft is in the airing cupboard trying to dry it after having to give it a 3rd coat of paint ! Still haven't mottled it yet, this is going to be a close call, might have to result to using Mrs Jockney's hairdryer when she's not looking.

The bluetac tip earlier in this thread is brilliant, even I have managed to extract a canopy from the deformed plastic bubble supplied by Unicraft - result:yahoo:

Good luck to everyone still building

cheers Pat 

• Like 6

Thanks Tony

Keep everything crossed, but don't do yourself a mischief in the process.

cheers Pat

PS I see you are co-hosting the flying boat and floatplane GB as well so see you again soon !

• Haha 2

Right, time for some progress photos

IMG_3603

The blue has been a complete, swine to do followed by mottling

IMG_3606

Found the Frog 262 Decals, wonders will never cease

IMG_3607

Starting to take shape

IMG_3608

• Like 8