Spot of the Day Part 2

Coming back from mum's and on A1 just south of Newcastle this afternoon a red N suffix Lotus Elan. Going up a hill, but struggling a bit.

Followed a Maserati saloon? from Newton St Bowell to Kelso on Friday afternoon. 

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Followed a Maserati saloon? 

Aye up Mr T, hope you and Mrs T are both keeping well.

That may have been a quattroporte. Funnily enough I saw one of those in Skipton today!

Regards

Steve 

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, we are both well if a little frazzled trying to work out the best for me mum, thus the location. The road we were on did not allow the Maserati to display its performance, most likely to have ended up in a hedge or wall if the driver had tried, seems in Scotland tight bends may or may not be marked. 

Hopefully will see you at Halifax. 

• Like 1

On the M4 on the way home from Hampshire this afternoon (what a difference from the journey on the way up through the worst of the snow on Friday!) a late rubber bumper MGB Gt on a trailer. The bumpers had been removed and it looked in a pretty sorry state, so hopefully someone's project to restore to a nice chrome bumper state!

• Like 2

In the yard outside Ace Classic cars at Rothwell, a very neat looking pale blue Sunbeam Alpine, couldn't see the reg plate as was driving, with the nose of  an early sixties Austin Cambridge sticking out the workshop door. 

• Like 2

Forgot about this but on way back from Scotland on Sunday, on the edge of a wood near Newcastle a GAZ lorry of some sort with looked like a MLRS on the back (although could be wrong here). 

• Like 2

Hi all,

Saw a red 7 reg (strange...) Jaguar E type convertible, driver nailed it coming off a roundabout along the A421 towards the M1/J13, must have been a V12 as it snarled like a beast. Very quick in a straight line and pretty decent around corners. Then this Morris 1000 at the local Asda/Walmart, personally, I think the wheels don't suit it but it's nice to see these old timers on the road.

tumblr_pmq42yqMpD1xxqk0so1_r1_1280.jpg

All the best.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Probably has uprated suspension and discs. I wonder what was under the hood?

Usually a 1275 motor, but there used to be a guy who sprinted a Moggie that had done a beautiful installation of a 2 litre Fiat Twin Cam engine!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Coming back from Halifax show today on A58 was a rather shabby looking MG Maestro in red. 

Regards 

Steve 

After my experiences with BL cars, they all looked shabby after a short while. Cannot be many left as they have probably rusted through. 

• Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 20:13, keefr22 said:

I love the wheels! Minilite-alikes make anything look good!

True... They are good looking wheels, just more used to seeing them on Minis an Triumphs.

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 19:51, Pete in Lincs said:

I quite like the wheels on that. Makes it look a bit more 'beefy'.

It also looks far better than that Power Ranger inspired hunk of junk next to it.

Pete, the Morris really stood out among all the edgy blandness in that carpark. That and yobs trying to drift in the far corner with tarted up Nissans. As for that hunk of junk, I'd say it's more a "Sub litre lifestyle accessory".

All the best.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Alan R said:

Spotted today,

A V8 MGB fastback.

A Costello conversion (or similar) as it didn't have the bonnet bulge.

Cheers, Alan.

It was the early Costello cars which had the bonnet bulge .  The factory BGT V8 used a special inlet manifold which positioned the carbs at the rear of the engine rather than up above it like other versions of the engine , allowing the flat bonnet to be used .

Factory BGT V8 setup

mg-mgb-gt-v8-14-d7d65f80.jpg

Standard V8

engineroverv8-01.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rs2man said:

mg-mgb-gt-v8-14-d7d65f80.jpg

Whilst that manifold is a masterpiece of both the designers' and the casters' art, it doesn't appear to be very conducive to good performance... right angles and smooth flow aren't all that well acquainted. Besides, everyone loves a power bulge, it makes a statement. :) 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Whilst that manifold is a masterpiece of both the designers' and the casters' art, it doesn't appear to be very conducive to good performance... right angles and smooth flow aren't all that well acquainted. Besides, everyone loves a power bulge, it makes a statement. :) 

Yes , that manifold's not the best , but it seems that the desire to use the standard bonnet over-rode the desire for power .  The BGT V8 was always a bit lacking in that department anyway , being fitted with the low-compression engine from the Range Rover .  Even so , it had a good bit more power & way more torque than the 4-cylinder B-Series that it replaced & didn't weigh any more , so it had the desired effect .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Earlier today, hurtling toward me and taking up part of my lane too - a civie registered Hummer!! Not something you see around here everyday!

Keith

Awful charmless things they are . There's one round Crewe and Nantwich which has been made into a stretch limo and is even more ghastly 

1 hour ago, rs2man said:

Awful charmless things they are . There's one round Crewe and Nantwich which has been made into a stretch limo and is even more ghastly 

There are several stretched Hummers around Sydney, apparently used as wedding cars and the like. At least one of them is painted a particularly lurid pink - not something to see the morning after a hard night out! Normal or stretched, they're a waste of fuel and road space.

• Like 1