Spot of the Day Part 2

I was off to Essex early this morning (Stow Maries).

On the roundabout A120/M11 about 08:45 I saw what I think was a Tatra

It was large, black and had a two part rear screen and an old number plate.

Possibly this model http://www.coys.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/cars/1967-tatra-603-v8/37_286_03.jpg

Later as I heading back (towards a huge traffic jam on the A14) near Stanstead airport on the A120

I saw a D reg Sierra Ghia, white, and in very nice condition.

• Like 1

Yorkshire today. Malton first and in a garage close to the Railway,

What looked like an early white Porsche 911 with huge arches on the back,

Flared arches on the front and a rollcage inside. Six digit reg No included 911.

I love the early ones, and this one said, 'You know you want me'. So true.

In Morrisons carpark (great coffee BTW) a green S reg Mini 1000 loking brand new!

And a couple of times I saw an old chap tootling around in a nice red Moggy Thousand.

Later in Pickering, what looked at first glance to be a green Healey 3000 went past

in the opposite direction. But the rear arches were wrong, with a 1/2 inch lip.

So probably a kit car job.

The garage/museum in Thornton le Clay had a good display of cars outside with auction stickers on their windscreens. 

I was driving past so only noted a nice black MGB GT, and a Triumph Toledo (I think). Now if you don't know what a Toledo

is you might think it's something exotic. You'd be wrong. It was a saloon car aimed at the gentleman motorist of a certain age

who needed a comfy seat (if you know what I mean) and little old ladies to go to church. Oh, and it was close to beige too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The garage/museum in Thornton le Clay had a good display of cars outside with auction stickers on their windscreens. 

I was driving past so only noted a nice black MGB GT, and a Triumph Toledo (I think). Now if you don't know what a Toledo

is you might think it's something exotic. You'd be wrong. It was a saloon car aimed at the gentleman motorist of a certain age

who needed a comfy seat (if you know what I mean) and little old ladies to go to church. Oh, and it was close to beige too.

Funnily enough, when I was a kid we had some family friends from Thornton Dale who had a brown Triumph Toledo...:D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

and a Triumph Toledo (I think). Now if you don't know what a Toledo

who needed a comfy seat (if you know what I mean)  Oh, and it was close to beige too.

Beige 'Driving Gloves' compulsory.

• Haha 2

Pete regarding the Healey could be genuine. I speak as having owned  four big Healey’s two 100/6 and two mk two’s in the 1970’s. The  handling was diabolical with standard rear tyres when drive enthusiastically so the mod was to fitJag XJ6 ones instead  viewed from above you could see tread. That was a no no to plod who had nothing better to do so an  enterprising chap made extensions in glass fibre to circumvent this. If the one you saw had gone back to genuine wheels and tyres it would look horrible without binning the mod

On holiday in France in the Dordogne and a procession of Jaguar XK120s (about six) went past on the opposite carriageway with an E Type coupe as back marker. Mightily impressive, never seen so many on the road together.

• Like 2

A lovely tiny yellow Elan on a road south of Grantham today.

And, this morning, in a Grantham carpark.

A V reg Toyota Corrolla on a V plate. So that's about 38 years old.

Now this isn't the prettiest of cars with it's froggy headlights & rounded rump.

(Not to mention the total lack of street cred)

But, a bit of T cut and a polish & it would look good, and rust free!

And, the sign in the window said MOT to December and for sale at just 600 quid!

On the way to the Keighley show morning following completely useless sat nav directions, a pale green Cortina Mk1 with lowered suspension and in immaculate condition and went past a yellow TR4A, a TR7 and Triumph 2000 all waiting to come out a filling station forecourt. 

• Like 1

I spotted an XJ6 coupe in full 70’s purple on the back of a recovery truck. Didn’t look like it had moved in a while as it was covered in green algae.

In much better shape was a Mk2 Capri alongside an early Mustang on someone’s drive, and shortly after a very tidy Volvo Amazon saloon.

My mate had an orange Toledo as his first car back in the late 80s and decided to Armorall the interior.....

.....no seatbelts in the back, so guess who slid from side to the other every time went round a corner!

Karl

• Like 2

Followed into work by a white Lamborghini Aventador. It had a rear spoiler on so I presume it was the SV version. Then followed home by a proper (i.e. V8) dark red Mustang. Both appeared to be less than a year old (not 100% on the Lambo as no front plate). As traffic was bad both ways, I could easily say I wasn't holding them up in the 1-litre Fiesta:D

• Haha 3