Spot of the Day Part 2

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

A bring your own Goat campsite. Nice.

(The GTO was/is referred to as goat by it's fans)

If only I had my own to take down there too - sadly the Grand Prix went many years ago 😞

• Sad 1

Most stupid conversion ever made????? Probably a Renault Express van, fitted with an engine from an Alpine Turbo and the front end from a 5, and painted with some kind of metal flake wich actually looked more like hammerite to my eyes.  You could often see it in a town in the north of the island.....you wished God rooted your eyes out completely

Fortunately, it ended smashed against a stone wall.....

• Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:26 AM, Artie said:

a friend of us fitted a Fiat Punto GT Turbo engine into Fiat X 1/9....

I remember seeing something on 'tweb where someone shoehorned a Honda Civic Type R engine into an X 1/9. I bet that was a bit crazy too...

I think they had a problem in that the Honda engine rotated in the opposite direction. I can't remember how they overcame that.

Alan.

I think I've mentioned this before, but in the late 1960s and early '70s (the heyday of Sport Sedan racing in Australia) a bloke named Harry Lefoe dropped a 289 Ford with Hewland transaxle into where the back seat used to go in a Hillman Imp. Went like slag off a shiny shovel in a straight line;  going around corners and stopping were equally spectacular!

• Like 2

Coming down the M5 last thursday, a Ford Classic Capri in a pale lemon and white. A car I have always hankered after, and missed on 3 occasions on buying.

Parts were hard to come by 50 years ago. They didn't make that many.

8744596-500x334.jpg

• Like 3

Coming back from E Models on Saturday afternoon in the RS2 , I was passed on the Shavington bypass by a longnose Jaguar D Type in Ecurie Ecosse racing blue .  I checked the reg number & it turned out to be a replica of some sort based round a 1962 Jaguar Mk 2 , but it looked & sounded great anyway .   On Saturday evening , I saw 2 Mini pickups , both looking really tidy - one standard in dark green , the other in hearing aid beige with big arches & alloys .  Shortly afterwards , I encountered a 1966 Porsche 911 in red .

• Like 1

Yesterday evening, when going over to Manchester pick my daughter up from airport, saw a Rover 90 and a glimpse of what looked like an early postwar Armstrong Siddeley drophead coming on to the motorway. 

• Like 1

A goodly haul today. Must be a rally of some sort around Gt Yarmouth area. All on the A12 north.

On transporters, a Austin Healey 100/6 in red

A Studebaker of some sort also in red

On the road, a Buick Eight, and a C type Jaguar.

On a petrol forecourt a 1920's Bentley 3 litre.

On Hannants forecourt of all places, a Ford Edsel in 2 tone green.

• Like 1

Lincoln, early this morning.

A big bike with apehangers! It's nice to cool your armpits in this weather, but...

They looked cool back in the day. With these experienced eyes they look dangerous.

As I left Lincoln I saw a white H reg Bond Equipe droptop entering Lincoln.

Returning to Lincoln hours later I saw it again as it left Lincoln.

(For those who don't know, take a Triumph Herald or Vitesse, throw away the front & back & replace them with 'sporty' GRP bits).

There was an early Scirocco hurtling down the A1 around 0800 too.

Oh, and Wednesday, a lovely Austin 7 (maroon with black mudguards) leaving the Bomber Command Centre in Lincoln. 

53 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

On Hannants forecourt of all places, a Ford Edsel in 2 tone green.

There's a 6 car garage built in the rear of Hannants warehouse & 1 of the cars which is kept there is an Edsel , so it was probably that one 

• Like 1

On the ring road in Leeds yesterday... A plate Red Ford Capri Laser went flying past me (i was doing 40). Was doing a fair bit of fish tailing too as he changed lanes. He either didn't know how to drive it or needed a paving slab in the boot! 

At Tong Garden Centre... a truly lovely Rover SD1 Vitesse in a deep red glinting in the sunshine. I wanted to walk back over the carpark for a look but minister for war and finance was having none of it! 

Regards

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On the way to visit daughter and family in Hampshire today, far too many spots to remember, some lovely classic Brit sports cars including a gorgeous pastel blue Frogeye Sprite, a stunning two tone cream and metallic blue Healey 3000, and for me, the top spot, seen twice, a C type Jaguar in British Racing Green with number roundels on the doors and bonnet - it looked like we'd happened upon the Targa Florio....!! It may have been a replica, but even if it was it was still glorious!!

• Like 1

Earlier today on the A47, an Austin Cambridge, the pre Farina model.

And in Lincoln on the way home, a silver S reg Toyota Carola

(not the prettiest they ever made) 

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQH8TmY1JPnoKAs7rGgZ-npLQixetBaD8q6_0j1hdc1dmLLLveW

But it looked about three years old, How do they survive like this?

• Like 2