Vought F4U-1D Corsair Tamiya

Rob Naylor

For this build I'm going for the 1:48 Tamiya kit for the Corsair

20170826_123208

I'm going to go with the American Navy build. The juries out on whether I'll do it with the wings deployed, or stowed away. I've purchased the Eduard decal kit to go to the kit as I've never used them before so wanted to give them a try.

20170826_123141

This will be my first Tamiya kit, having always been and Airfix man...the parts on the sprues seem quite large and bold compared to the kit I'm used too...or maybe it's just the Corsair :) I'll post pics of the sprues and pictures I took of any actual corsair at the Fleet Air Arm museum in a separate post.

• Like 1

Ok so the pre-assembley is done on the cockpit, and I've removed the details that will be replaced with the cockpit etching kit.

20170828_195248

20170828_195302

I'll now prime these prior to taking on assembling the additional decals...which seems a little daunting given my good ol' sausage fingers :)

Meanwhile we have the star of this radial show and the first part of the wings also ready

20170828_195314

20170828_195318

20170828_195222

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I made one of these, with the colored PE. Real nice model, and if doing it straight it just falls together. Check Ultracast if you want to do any extras, or at least just the exhaust. They have some finely cast exhausts that look just great.