Crash Landing Ilyushin Il-2 1/72.

Good day

Here my first Diorama! the plane its not great I know but I needed to try on something I was not worried about.

The idea is the aircraft had a skirmish and crash landed,fortunately for them on Soviet territory, close to the border or something.. Rear gunner was wounded and the pilot talks with an officer and a NCO about what happened.

All suggestions to do a better work are very appreciated, especially on the terrain, what would you have done differently? I got my inspiration from a diorama of battle pf britain (easy to google)

IMG_20170826_000335.jpg

IMG_20170813_002821.jpg

IMG_20170826_000347.jpg

IMG_20170826_000355.jpg

IMG_20170826_000433.jpg

IMG_20170826_000410.jpg

• Like 12

Hijack.... :D

Welcome to the wonderful world of dioramas!

First thing, HAVE FUN!

Secondly, find yourself a theme... It seems likely you are going to be an aircraft diorama-ist, so take a look at those done by others and get your inspiration. Maybe crashed planes will be your thing, or those being re-fuelled, re-armed etc. Some prefer planes in flight, skimming low over countryside. Find your groove and what you're good at and practice, practice, practice. Of course, us Armour-ists do groundwork as well, so take a look at what we do and learn from the WIPs.

Some tips for you:

When you photograph a diorama, you don't really want to see any surrounding clutter. If indoors place it against some single-colour background.... blue for sky is good, but a white or black sheet or similar is good as well. Or you could have a photographic backdrop. Have a look at PlaStix's dioramas. You will be learning from a master there. Of course natural light is the best, so try outside and maybe photograph your diorama in a field with a wood in the background, to get that depth of field and that ultra-realistic look.

Now, your diorama is pretty good for a first effort. I can't fault your mud at all. That is extremely good, realistic looking mud if you ask me! Maybe there could have been a deeper gouge down the middle where the fuselage dug in though?

Your grass is also very good. Again, I can't fault it. The variation in grass length and clumpiness is spot on and looks so much better than the lawns you sometimes see.  Some might suggest mixing your static grasses, adding different colours for even more variation, but I don't think that's always necessary. Personally, I'd be perfectly happy with a field like that.

The only thing I find a bit suspect is the barbed wire. It's way too shiny and greatly out-of-scale. I've never purchased 'ready-made' barbed wire though and never would. I'd make my own. In fact I will be making my own very shortly. I will probably be making mine from braided fishing line... ultra thin high-tensile fibres.

So, a great first diorama with many good points and really only one fault. I look forward to seeing your next efforts and hopefully your progression to AFVs!:D

Congrats.

Badder.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

Great story! Good for you attempting a diorama.  Its hard enough attempting a single model/figure.   One thing comes to  mind is the barb wire.  Needs to be more rusty/aged in appearance.  Looking forward to seeing your next diorama.

Thank you guys! I will modify the barb wire...

I made the wire myself... its from the mesh of the racket I bought at poundland to do the static grass applicator... I will rusty it and darken a bit... I used alluminium and wash of gun metal but apparently is still too shiny!. It is outscaled as too big yes? you mean the spines or the diameter of the wire itself?

or do you think I should just remove the wire and add a fence or little stone wall and a tree?

Edited by Jack109

Great work for a first effort:goodjob: ... I'd like to add one thing. As someone that has studied Aviation Religiously. Including crashes you have bullet holes in the plane and they're realistic not like the neat stitching rows I've sometimes seen.   

My point being is you dont see oil or fire damage along the fuselage. If the damage came from the engine and is what caused the crash ? Wether it came from the engine or not propellers windmill or turn so the blades wouldnt just be bent straight back. They would curl away from the direction of the spin unless the engine is seized. If not that some fuel leakage from some of the holes ? Other than that it is very good.  

• Like 1

Thank you @Corsairfoxfouruncle I didnt think of that! some sign of engine issue and black smoke.. I just thought that they lost a piece of wing the right, tale was damaged and gunner wounded.. enough for a crashland.. maybe I am wrong as this plane was called the Flying Tank!

withe bullet holes I am not too content, I used a hot needle, but ten I ve read that you should avoid it as they make mess... 

For the propellers the only think I knew was that if the speed was very high the propellers might have be bent in the other direction... I am not sure if its true.

So help me to understand how more should I have bent the propellers? the 2 under more bent?

ps. the plane was already finished when I decided to do the diorama... so I had to adapt it.. you know when you look for a model to sacrifice between those on your shelf... then it turn out a nice thing and you are stuck with that odd plane!

Edited by Jack109

No its a valid reason i've just given you ideas for the future. Propellers turn one direction so if they're spinning they will bend back but keep spinning so they get pulled to th opposite direction of the spin. Sadly yes i do know about the oddball model conundrum.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

JACK, for the bullet holes I'd say your pattern is spot on. Since this model was complete you did good.

A needle or micro drill is best in that case. What i would do is when you're building a kit that you plan on using in a crash. First start by figuring what kind of damage you are simulating ? Second choose your enemies aircraft or weapon ? Three figure the pattern you want out ? Four which way did the enemy aircraft come from ? Five start by thinning the the inside of the plastic. Six When you can see day light thru the plastic STOP !

At this point mark your pattern on the outside of the aircraft with an pencil dot. Then build everything when you, tiny indent or mark that will be visible thru the paint ( a micro drill hole or pin indentation). Right before you weather the aircraft drill out the holes in the correct angle. If your sturmovik was the victim will say the german came from behind and from the right. So the bullet/cannon holes would move from right rear to left front. So your hole would go in from the angle the german came from. On your model you have the fabric tail surfaces off so lets use that as a start. I would leave shreds of fabric on. Tape or tissue before paint and then paint correct colors. Dont forget control cables/linkages. 

Did the bullet/cannon shells passed completely thru ? If yes match the holes on the opposite side of the aircraft. If not what stopped them ? Engine block ? Armor ? Crew ? Then i would use the appropriate fluid if oil, petrol, or blood. Then when setting up your crash ask yourself did anything tear off ? Like a wing or landing gear ? Did the plane break up or was it just a belly landing like your sturmovik. Maybe no barbed wire but you could have something that is nearby a road ? Or maybe it crashed next to a runway ? I hope this helps in some way. 

Thank you everyone for the tips! 

I really wanted to try to make barb wire DIY so O added It .

For the damaged I ve ready that its good to use the metal of tubes like mayo. Ti give the effective of broken alluminium in the guardate After its thinned with sandpaper...

Just to clarify on the barbed wire issue. Yes, the wire is too thick, the barbs are too big and nothing like real barbed wire, and it's all too shiny.

But it could be that the plane crash landed at a temporary airfield and barbed wire would suit that scenario.

As I said earlier, I'd make the barbed wire from thread, like cotton (or braided fishing line) If you wet it with dilute PVA it will dry and stiffen up in any position. So coil the PVA'd cotton around a tube/cylinder and leave it to dry. For the barbs I'd just tie pieces of cotton around the 'wire' at regular intervals and snip off all the long loose ends leaving a tiny knot with two 'spikes' sticking out. And of course you can paint the wire silver/grey then apply dark dark brown and rusty washes to tone it down a bit.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

ouch - I bet that crash hurt the pilot - I hope he survived

At least he stopped in time and didn't break the fence!

Very nice diorama - far better idea than hanging the completed kit from your bedroom ceiling

I hope this inspires more of the same

• Like 1