Airfix F-4 Phantom II - FAIL

AdrianMF

No worries Dave, I'll have my hand up for a couple of the new ones, no good for one of these though, but I think I'll stick with a Hasegawa F-4B & some microscale decals rather than try to replicate what Adrian is doing, I know my limitations. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Well, ''tis Sunday and the devil waits for no man so off we go!

IMG_6415.jpg

After widespread disapproval of the catering yesterday, and also because the shopping fairy left some bread, breakfast today consists of toast with home-made plum jam, sliced white peach and a cuppa. Hope this is more acceptable.

Now let's finish that damned cockpit and stick something together!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 5

Failed! I've got an hour to go but I'm not going to get there:

IMG_6423.jpg

So, what went wrong?

- bad kit choice - scratching a cockpit and dealing with a 60s Airfix technology was fun, but too much to do.

- wrong grey on top - thought I could get away with Revell 76 (which is lovely paint BTW) but that era scheme needs Hu 127, which is lighter.

- the upper seam! I think I've got it now but it took four fill-sand-paint-repeat cycles.

- poor research - it was only *after* finishing the underside that I realised that the cheek pouches on the nose were not a feature of the F-4B. Thank goodness the plastic was thick.

So I'm out, hanging my head in shame...

Thanks for all the support and it's been fun playing along with the *real* superheroes! This build will continue at a slower pace in WIP.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

I just caught up with it Adrian.

To echo the others, there's not much fail about what you've done here. I zoomed in on that cockpit; amazing scratch built detail :worthy: !

I did think breakfast number one was a little unusual. Trying to imagine a world where, after a night on the tiles with mates, we all go to a 'Cornflake House' and ask for the 'coldest milk' they've got and seven pints of fresh orange juice :confused: .

A great transformation of an old kit as always Adrian

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Can I just point out to all you philistines that breakfast curry is the best thing EVER!!!!  :D 

It is. When Britannia ruled the waves, children worked to buy their own luxuries (food, clothes, milk, possibly shoes), and everywhere that mattered was pink, a stout Englishman had kedgeree (or kippers, or both) for breakfast to steel himself for the day ahead.

• Like 2

I'm not seeing a fail either. Great work. I was going to attempt an OOB Matchbox Phantom but bottled it when my Saturday was taken over by events beyond my control, leaving me nowhere near enough free time to finish it- no Bank Holiday here today.

That cockpit is very nice indeed, here's hoping that you finish the whole thing off in a WiP, and soon.

• Like 1

On 26/08/2017 at 23:30, Dave_R said:

How did you do the seat straps?

They are made from wine bottle foil. Normally when there are just two shoulder and two lap straps I pre-paint them but this time I added them all so I could get the hang right, then undercoated everything in black. I then painted up the seat cushions with shades of green and brown, then painted up the belts in dark, mid and light grey. So it's very much a case of painting what I could see. Hope that makes sense...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SleeperService said:

B&Q, IKEA, ASDA, Sainsbury's are all open do you really want that????

Sadly the deal was that I got an uninterrupted weekend in return for my soul on Monday! No shopping today but there's fixin' things to do!

Regards,

Adrian

• Sad 2

Very nice - looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Is it just me or does anyone else find the F-4 the most painful model to handle, especially those pointy bits on the leading edge ?

I've just broken out a barely started Hasegawa F-4E 1/72 from decades ago, and as I try to handle it while painting, my fingers are skewered by those leading edges

• Like 1