Harrier GR.3 Airfix 1/72 on the High Seas **It's complete**

SleeperService

My second year of attempting to complete a Blitz (or any) GB on time. Last year's entry was scuppered by some Humbrol anti-vandal paint that, as I write is still tacky.  So this year a cunning plan so cunning that the Ancient Society of Cunning Artificers will grant me immediate entry.

Here's the start

tumblr_ova28ghBsC1t8blhlo1_1280.jpg

And a hand coloured high resolution woodcut of what I'm aiming at

tumblr_ova28ghBsC1t8blhlo2_1280.jpg

Ha! Take that evil Humbrol Lord of Questionable Paints. To the bench forthwith.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, SimonT said:

Are you going to have time to build all those and the side containers? Don't forget the whirlybirds too :bleh:

That's the next 20 years Blitzbuilds! :) 

I must Thank @Dave Fleming for the idea. I picked up this very kit at Cosford(?) a few years back. He saw it and said 'Best thing you can do with that is wrap it in black plastic'. My nephew went home with the Tamiya one and still model-makes to this day. If he'd have tried this he'd have given up. 

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing you getting this all wrapped up quite quickly.

:tumble:

(Great idea for a build, somebody had to say it :coat: )

Good luck for a fun build

TonyT

• Haha 1

Tony Tiger is in the building! Greetings! Correct Pete Wessex is no mere eggbeater it has class and rivets. None of this composite nonsense.

Steady progress once I cleaned the blood up from my stabbed thumb....I'm a Brave Little Soldier though...I'll manage...No really I will. Here we go

tumblr_ova28ghBsC1t8blhlo3_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ova28ghBsC1t8blhlo4_r1_1280.jpg

I made this kit when it came out as a GR.3 in 1982 according to the fuselage. Time has not been good to it. Much flash and other strangeness. As you can see one wing is bigger on the top than the bottom. I've already cut about a mill away. Other bits have been flat sanded and, as a result, fit pretty well. I cut the tabs off the upper wing pieces to make it easier to sand. As the outrigger legs lower quarters will show I'm putting a bit of effort in. Wheels are being separated and cleaned up, new yokes and strut made and the fairings hollowed out. All made easy by the soft grey plastic.
Now for a coffee and an Aldi Tunnocks look-a-like caramel wafer. 

• Like 7

I type this one-handed, in the other hand I hold the fuselage while the gun pods stick. Got to say for a 35 year old kit modified from an even older tool it fits reasonably well.

The important thing is I am enjoying it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Nice plan! Have you tried hitting that tacky paint with flat varnish, that helped me a year ago (I used rattlecan stuff)? V-P

Yes I did. It helped but didn't let it completely dry, a second coat a few days after made no difference. In between bursts on this year's entry I'm wiping the model with thinner and getting all the uncured stuff off.
However....

tumblr_inline_ovahzfZjMw1sv0ymo_540.jpg

One Harrier in a big lump with much blutack while the wings set. To the front right the first outrigger is hollowed and fettled and the new wheel yoke sets. Next to it number 2 awaits attention while I have lunch, cheese sandwiches made with toast and fresh cherry tomatoes. Delish!

• Like 5

Is it too late to ask for a picture of the sarnie :chef: ?

Great progress, this time it looks like completion is very possible :thumbsup2: 

Best regards

TonyT

15 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Is it too late to ask for a picture of the sarnie :chef: ?

Great progress, this time it looks like completion is very possible :thumbsup2: 

Best regards

TonyT

tumblr_inline_ovak31d0001sv0ymo_540.jpg

Lurking in the fridge was a lonely pork pie. I think the apple juice has been bullying him. it does that you know. That's a side plate and my main meal of the build.

I'm Quietly Confident this time. But I'll keep my powder dry for now...

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Now that's a Scooby snack if I ever saw one.

Mini pork pie and bursting ripe little tomatoes. Thanks for the photo.

Yum :Tasty:

Enjoy :thumbsup2: 

TT

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Now that's a Scooby snack if I ever saw one.

Mini pork pie and bursting ripe little tomatoes. Thanks for the photo.

Yum :Tasty:

Enjoy :thumbsup2: 

TT

A scooby snack indeed I don't eat it as fast though.

2 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Great progress and a very nice looking lunch. Got to love a Harrier. 

It was very nice the thing is I feel a bit full now. I think I'll just sit here for a moment. All in all it's gone together pretty well. The grey is Chinese moulded so soft and easy to glue. The transparency is Indian moulding and superb. Just waiting for the wings to fully set before I carry on.

7 hours ago, SleeperService said:

an Aldi Tunnocks look-a-like caramel wafer

Is it just me,or are they better than the originals?*

(Prolly made on the same production line)

*They are cheaper though!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Is it just me,or are they better than the originals?*

(Prolly made on the same production line)

*They are cheaper though!

I think they're better than the originals some days but on others I prefer Tunnocks. So I buy both. This week 4 Aldi to 3 Tunnocks.

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

My son made one of these once - it was the last kit he ever made, and I could see why. You seem to be hammering it into shape though. Is it the original series 2 Harrier updated?

Regards,

Adrian

Indeed it is. Originally a GR.1 IIRC then modified into a GR.3. The cockpit is spartan and Mr Flash is everywhere. Decal sheet basic. But those issues don't worry me this time. What I call a 'landmine' kit. That is the sort of thing that will deter a casual buyer; for ever if it's their first purchase or for a period if they've built a few and they've been OK.   

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Well it looks like a Harrier to me! Hope you got rid of the migraine.

Kind regards,

Stix

And to me as well. Thanks for the thought, nausea gone vision returning. It's now a two session build to be resumed when eyes reboot.

• Like 1

OK Peeps I'm back!! :yahoo:

Here's the restart piccie

tumblr_ovbhsmF27J1t8blhlo1_1280.jpg

It's where it was at 15:47 when I did the migraine post but forgot the piccie. Oh except that the glue is now solid. 

Looking at these new fangled fragile mobiles I thought I'd show you what a real phone looks like. That's an original C1 BTW not one of these new look-a-likes. :)

Currently listening to pisshead yoofs gobbing off at each other. Bless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1