Herbert

G'day all

Getting a bit older and nostalgic.  Born in North of England and emigrated to Australia for better opportunities in Textile industry.

I have  built a few kit models when a teenager then again when my children were growing.  I. have a currently non operational "N" gauge layout, though working to correct track issues

when circumstances allow.  recently discovered my grandsons unbuilt Airfix Spitfire iX. So decided to build it for him.  Had fun despite being frustrated by decals, brush painting and assembling.

The enjoyment led me to purchase a Revell 1/32 Mosquito which I have just commenced on.  Hoping to hear some useful tips and ideas on this forum.

Hello Herbert, ... welcome to BritModeler from a Yank. Im mostly into WW2 aircraft. But also work with the cold war types. If i can help just ask. Somehow we all seem to get drawn back to the hobby at some point.

As for decals well everybody has there own special way i think. But the best way for me is gloss coat the model with either a  paint brand of gloss or i use a floor polish called pledge. I believe there must be an Australian version of it. Then when its dry i soak the decals in warm water usually bath temperature. Most of us use a decal set and solvent but you can worry about that a little later. For now id say just get comfortable with building, painting and decaling to ease into it. After the decals are on the kit use a cotton swab or kitchen paper towel to wick away the mousture. Then just let it all dry, Probably overnight. Afterwards give it a second clear coat gloss, satin, or flat its your choice. I hope this helps. And feel free to look me up and ask questions. If i cant help there will be someone along shortly who can. 

Dennis

Thanks for the info,  I didn't gloss the aircraft first just attempted to slide decals into place.  Roundels were OK but invasion stripes a disaster.

I'll try your tips next time.  I have seen pledge in some supermarkets but mostly Mr Sheen.  (live alone so home chores mean shopping)

• Like 1