1/144 Revel Microwings Airacobra

Hi all,

I started this wee beastie about a week or so ago. It's the Revell Microwings 1/144 P39 Airacobra which cost me the huge expense of £2.

fcERjV1.jpg

It wasn't too difficult a kit to build but there were some fit issues (considering there's not much of it to fit together) however I'm happy enough how it turned out.

The nose is packed with Liquid Gravity so it won't tail sit.

The spinner is too big but I didn't even attempt to fix it... I seriously doubt I could anyway.

The rather distinctive nose cannon was missing from the spinner so I drilled a (squint) hole in the spinner and stuck a bit of sprue in it.

I wanted to depict the plane - AH574, that took part in the Royal Navy carrier landing trials flown by  Eric "Winkle" Brown.

I tried to build the top plane in the pic below:

9PPZD5e.jpg

So, here's my attempt at it. Painted with Tamiya paints and the main decals are from Mehusela (the kit only has American markings) with the non standard marking home made which was a real pain in the wotsit! 

6AA8puDl.jpg

B6jaHG7l.jpg

IvZqJNYl.jpg

6g5Y62bl.jpg

WmgyiDxl.jpg

Next attempted model will hopefully be a Welsh Models 1/144 Vacform DH Heron in RAF colours.

• Like 12

That is fantastic Murdo! I built the Tempest a while ago, so I know the pain you had to go through building this kit. The home made decals are top quality too. :) very nice :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Thanks guys!

By the way, I really just felt I should point out (in serious fairness to Revell) that this Airacobra is a "MicroWings" kit. It's a fairly crude and very cheap kit designed as a cheap and plentiful addition for the War games market.

It comes in this type of box:

fcERjV1.jpg

It bears little relation in class and style to the "proper" Revell 1/144 kits such as the Tornado GR. Mk1,  Eurofighter Typhoon and Harrier GR7 kits etc which come in around £7 - £10 and are beautifully detailed.

They come in this style of box and there is a massive difference between the two types of kit!

qVxmf8Wh.jpg

I would definitely recommend the "proper" 1/144 Revell kits to anyone and they really scrub up well as seen below:  (The plane is OOB, the ladder is scratch built, figgies are Preisser N Scale Nato Crew).

sAnRMuLh.jpg

uzw5lYDh.jpg

• Like 1