interesting scheme for the Hurricane fan to replicate.

Troy Smith

idly image surfing,  saw this, didn't ring any bells

14191980055_2108d992da_b.jpg

what's this I thought?  weathering? wet aircraft ?   where and when?

Hmm, looks DFS..

recheck link

get this...

18606020334_51c959033f_b.jpg

ah...think I know what this is....

that photo shoot of No.1 squadron, when their planes had been repainted into Day Fighter Scheme from night intruder black, and were weathering badly.... that's a coat of Medium Sea Grey weathering off to show the black....

assuming I'm correct, this JX-Y, and here are the images you always see

Hawker-Hurricane-MkII-RAF-1-Squadron-in-

Hawker-Hurricane-IIc-RAF-1-Squadron-JXY-

Hawker-Hurricane-II-RAF-1-Squadron-in-fo

Hawker-Hurricane-MkIIc-RAF-1-Squadron-JX

this really show the grotty paint job well,  note also the variation in style of fuselage codes and of the serial, and the non standard roundel on JX-J(?) in the back.

I think JX-I/HL603 is factory finish DFS, as serial is factory standard application,  compared to JX-S and JX-Y with very small non standard,  from the new in field paint job.

This is a great photo, and one that reveals more you study.

If a model was done like JX-Y  I'm sure many folks would just think it was badly pre-shaded.. ;) 

hope of interest

T

Edited by Troy Smith
replace images
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

The other great pics of repainted all black intruders are the  ones from 87 Sq.

ie this famous image

Hurricane-MkII-RAF-87Sqn-LKA-Ian-Gleed-B

Lots of shonky brush (?) painting , uppers are Dark Green and Medium Sea Grey

also note slope  on the 'L'  

Hurricane-MkIIc-RAF-87Sqn-LK-Question-Ni

Hurricane-MkIIc-RAF-87Sqn-LKR-Night-Duty

rally looks brushed,  note the crude paint round the 'K'  and on the roundel near the 'R'

Hurricane-MkIIc-RAF-87Sqn-LKR-Night-Duty

another view

Hawker-Hurricane-MkIIc-RAF-87Sqn-LKR-Nig

of note here  are the chips in the paint on the brass sheething on the Rotol prop (made of Jablo,  compressed wood)

as well as the wavy leading edges to  the wing paint.

as seen here in colour on a Spit XIV if you  look closely, note the yellowy nature of the bare metal.

3690539310_6cf2a9e36e_o.jpgSpitfire XIVE by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Here's a useful image of some blades,showing both the wood construction and the brass leading edge sheaths.

mkxv.camberface.jpg

more on Hurricane night fighters in the last pages of  this

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

may edit in more later

T

Edited by Troy Smith
added pic
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Great pics. I agree the opening shots of the IIc look seriously badly modelled! I don;t think I'd dare reproduce that, even though it's historically accurate.

The prop leading edge paint erosion on the Hurricane and Spitfire XIV is a superb example of what happens when you fly into rain, so not technically chipping from stones and other debris (which is usually chord-wise scratches and gouges on the rear faces of blades).

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi All, how would the field applied Day Fighter Scheme be actually physically painted on?

Would it be a couple of guys with a bucket of one colour paint each, then the other colour, starting at either end, or a squad with both colours going at it from all directions?

I'd like to do a Night Intruder in Day Fighter Scheme colours, but as has been said, it could just end up like a bad paint job, so I was planning a small scene showing it in progress.

Hopefully @Troy Smith will have a sheaf of photos of this happening, tucked away in his Tardis knowledge banks.

Cheers

Steve

2 hours ago, ProfSparks said:

will have a sheaf of photos of this happening,

I should be so lucky.

From what I can see of the above, like the cowling under the exhaust on JX-Y,  they have been sprayed, but carefully.  Things have been masked,  so do able, but it's more likely a painter with a spray gun.

If you to show an infield paint job,  with a couple of erks at with a paintbrush,  you want the 87 Sq planes in Night Intruder, 

which have been repainted by brush quickly, visible brush marks and slip in the roundel yellow.

Hurricane-IIc-RAF-87Sqn-LKR-Night-Duty-Z

see here for more on the above, page 2

HTH

• Thanks 2

Thanks troy, that's the one I was going for as it's on my DK decals sheet, although the artwork shows it as a smooth finish :cowboy:

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

If you to show an infield paint job,  with a couple of erks at with a paintbrush,  you want the 87 Sq planes in Night Intruder, 

which have been repainted by brush quickly, visible brush marks and slip in the roundel yellow.

Hurricane-IIc-RAF-87Sqn-LKR-Night-Duty-Z

I notice there's no shielding between the exhausts and the canopy, were they fitted later or removed at pilots request?

Also the exhausts are light coloured, what would be your thoughts on that?

The thread you've linked to, @gingerbob quotes on #42 (I don't know where it's from)

"For the rest of the evening [18th Aug] there were hasty preparations, studying of maps, pictures, etc.  Among other things all the Squadron aircraft had to be re-camouflaged in day colouring in a few hours.  All hands got down to this and it was completed by nightfall."

I would take this to mean more than a couple of erks with paintbrushes going at it mob handed?

Cheers

Steve

I would take this to mean more than a couple of erks with paintbrushes going at it mob handed?

per plane? Who knows.  As the other thread notes about the Day Scheme being the Night Intruder,  the sight of a load of planes being repainted would be an very unusual event.

How many crew could work without getting in each  others way? 4?   

I presume they did a colour at a time?    If you are doing a model showing this,  you might want to be degree artistic,  see final image

I notice there's no shielding between the exhausts and the canopy, were they fitted later or removed at pilots request?

No idea. they were just bolted or screwed on,   so easy enough to add/remove .   

A look at the 87 Sq planes in the Nigh Intruder scheme shows with and without.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235067446-stupid-hurricane-question/&do=findComment&comment=3577199

note the film still of LK-Q has them, the formation shot, LK-Q no shields.

Also the exhausts are light coloured, what would be your thoughts on that?

new stacks? They are a very even colour.  Looking at the pics of 87 Sq,  they all look the same.   Maybe just a light/film effect. 

Hmm.   A look at @Etiennedup Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=hurricane

6247425410_3552da44d9_o.jpgHurricane Mk.V.......................          11 Aug. 1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

they can appear quite light, 

6970130755_ffeb9130a6_o.jpgArmourers at work. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

sometime the front stack is dark, and the other two light, 

46654084912_562ee3f79e_o.pngHurricane HW235 nose by losethekibble, on Flickr

you get deposits if lead bromide deposited on the 2nd and 3rd stack, but not the first.

* by artistic, this made me think of the Shepard Paine diorama leaflet included with the Monogram B-24, showing a plane being repainted into a formation ship,  with the artistic detail of the wing being sprayed, while on the same wing,  already dots are being applied. 

This photo depicts an aspect of creating any diorama that will directly affect the overall impact of your completed effort. In reality, it is unlikely that the ground crew would begin to paint the red and black details until the entire aircraft had been sprayed white, but in the interest of creating a more captivating scene, our modeler decided to use his "artistic license-and portray the event as shown.

b24j3-3.jpg

whole leaflet is here, with a more photos

http://sheperdpaine.atspace.com/b24j.htm

along with all the others leaflets on the main page.

http://sheperdpaine.atspace.com

You could do a neat little diorama perhaps drawing on the spilled paint incident above,  perhaps a spilled paint bucket on a wing and trying to wipe up the mess?

HTH

• Like 2