B-17G

Corsairfoxfouruncle

16 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The EAA's B-17G just flew over my house. Its going to be here for a few days at the local airport giving rides. Im hoping to get over there and getting some photo's to upload today or tomorrow.

Ooh! Shoot the wheel bays, please! Good profile shots of the nose contours would be nice, as well...still not sure Airfix got those quite  right, but they're streets ahead of the Revell kit!

Mike

Ok so i got a chance to get over there today. There is the B-17G, an O-1 Birddog, a TBM Avenger, And a T-28 Trojan. They're at Romeoville's Lewis University Airport until tomorrow if anyone is interested and in the Chicago Illinois region. Its $10.00 to get inside the Fenceline and get a tour of the B-17G.

I believe they're giving rides in both the Fortress and Avenger. As i arrived the Avenger was warming up, & the Fortress was landing. I sadly do not have the $10.00 to spend or i would've gotten closer. I was able to take about 2-3 dozen photos of the Fortress as it was taxiing and powering down. And also port wing, Upper turret, Radio room glazing. Waist position glazing, and the Cheyenne Tail Turrt from both sides. I will go through the photo's and post the best here soon.

The Avenger was in a sickeningly bright blue though so its not very accurate.

On 8/25/2017 at 11:50 AM, 72modeler said:

Ooh! Shoot the wheel bays, please! Good profile shots of the nose contours would be nice, as well...still not sure Airfix got those quite  right, but they're streets ahead of the Revell kit!

Mike ... im sorry i just couldn't justify the $10 to get close. That and they have most of the exterior roped off for safety reasons.   

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok so i got a chance to get over there today. There is the B-17G, an O-1 Birddog, a TBM Avenger, And a T-28 Trojan. They're at Romeoville's Lewis University Airport until tomorrow if anyone is interested and in the Chicago Illinois region. Its $10.00 to get inside the Fenceline and get a tour of the B-17G.

I believe they're giving rides in both the Fortress and Avenger. As i arrived the Avenger was warming up, & the Fortress was landing. I sadly do not have the $10.00 to spend or i would've gotten closer. I was able to take about 2-3 dozen photos of the Fortress as it was taxiing and powering down. And also port wing, Upper turret, Radio room glazing. Waist position glazing, and the Cheyenne Tail Turrt from both sides. I will go through the photo's and post the best here soon.

The Avenger was in a sickeningly bright blue though so its not very accurate.

Mike ... im sorry i just couldn't justify the $10 to get close. That and they have most of the exterior roped off for safety reasons.   

Dennis

Dennis,

No problem! I appreciate your thinking about me. When the Collings Foundation's B-17G  Nine-O-Nine comes to San Antonio again, I will try to get some for both of us. Regards!

Mike

• Thanks 1

Last year I saw the EAA B17 at Oshkhosh. It's the only place where you get so used to seeing a B17 passing overhead to the point you barely look up.

On 8/25/2017 at 5:50 PM, 72modeler said:

Mike

Ironically I sheltered from the rain under the wheel bay of the B17 on static display. I don't remember taking pictures though but will check. 

That's the great thing about EAA Airventure. You can literally get hands on with some of the most iconic aircraft ever. Every modeller should go once.

5 hours ago, noelh said:

Last year I saw the EAA B17 at Oshkhosh. It's the only place where you get so used to seeing a B17 passing overhead to the point you barely look up.

Ironically I sheltered from the rain under the wheel bay of the B17 on static display. I don't remember taking pictures though but will check. 

That's the great thing about EAA Airventure. You can literally get hands on with some of the most iconic aircraft ever. Every modeller should go once.

I'm jealous, as I have yet to go, but have relatives a few hours away from Oshkosh I could stay with; I'm hoping I can go when either the P-61B or XP-82 being restored here in the Colonies are completed and attend. My modeling friends usually make fun of me and accuse me of having almost no photos of complete airplanes, as I'm usually flat on my back shooting wheel bays! Hard to get underside detail photos at most  museums because the airplanes are either roped off or the staff get excited when you crawl under one.

Disappointing for you I do have picture taken from underneath the entrance hatch but not the wheel wells.  But definitely you have to go to Oshkosh. The access to all the aircraft on display is nothing short of outstanding. I haunted the warbird section while I was there. All are accessible and I suspect a polite request to one of the handlers or pilots will get you access all areas. At this airshow they simply trust that everyone will behave themselves and not do anything stupid. Which is exactly what happens. If you are in the wrong place, you are simply and politely requested to step back often with a smile.

There is nothing quite like being able to stand behind a Spitfire or P51 or F4U or B25 starting up and getting the full benefit of the prop wash. 

Put it on your bucket list.

• Like 1