1950's RAF Vehicles

PlasticSoldier

Hi 

I'm currently working on some RAF ground vehicles from Airfix Vehicle Set and Refuelling Set, however I wanted to make them into 1950's vehicles, not Second World War.

As far as I can find, vehicles around that time would be blue/grey with yellow tops. Is this correct for every vehicle, and are the vehicles I'm building from the sets ones they would use in the early 50's in Germany?

And would the markings they have in the set still be the same?

Many Thanks

PlasticSoldier

All I can really comment on is the Refuelling Set .  The Bedford is actually a post-war vehicle so should be ok as it is .  Also , Matador Models make a 3-boom AVTUR refueller conversion for it . As regards the Bedford decals , most of them should be ok for an RAF Germany vehicle , apart from the little ones reading F/11 or something like that - they denote 11 Group , Fighter Command & so need changing .  As regards the Matador , that's a wartime tanker so would need updating to incorporate refueling booms etc .  I thought Matador did something for that as well , but I can't find anything at the moment .

Just realized that Accurate Armour do a post-war AEC in 1/48

https://accurate-armour.com/products/148th-products/k48007

There's a few pics in the link which should give enough info to modify the Airfix kit to later spec .

John Green

Nantwich , Cheshire

Edited by rs2man
Additional info
  • Thanks 1

I imagine there are a number of 50's vintage vehicles in the 00 model railway world that could be used or adapted, although some may be die-cast metal and a bit more difficult to work with.  The RAF had a lot of commercial-standard vehicles.  I'm sure someone does a Series 1 Landy, for example.  If you can find the old Vanderveen/Olyslager book on post-war vehicles there's a lot of candidate vehicles in there.  Don't forget that some German domestic vehicles were used by British forces in Germany.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2017 at 8:06 AM, PlasticSoldier said:

Hi 

I'm currently working on some RAF ground vehicles from Airfix Vehicle Set and Refuelling Set, however I wanted to make them into 1950's vehicles, not Second World War.

As far as I can find, vehicles around that time would be blue/grey with yellow tops. Is this correct for every vehicle, and are the vehicles I'm building from the sets ones they would use in the early 50's in Germany?

And would the markings they have in the set still be the same?

Many Thanks

PlasticSoldier

The RAF vehicles in Germany in the 1950s were deep bronze green, not blue grey, and a lot of German manufactured vehicles  such as VW beetles and kombis were used as utility vehicles, along with German made fuel refuellers and GS lorries.

Type in "Jever steam laundry" in your search engine and browse the pictures in there (warning there are a lot!) hidden in there are a lot of images of RAF vehicles of the period. (The jever station and 4 sqn images have some good refueller pictures!)

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Oohhh,

found a new annoucement from MilMod on IPMS Germany:

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/news.html

Looks nice:  "Cold  War Warriors"

Hope to find some modellers from IPMS Germany in Telford for more information or better for a look in the box.

I think some them are on my list.

modelldoc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...