Bristol Bloodhound Mk I - Airfix 1/72

CedB

Very cool, Ced! I've long toyed with buying (and then never building, since that's what I am these days, a model non-builder) a Bloodhound myself, since I think it's such a cool looking SAM, but I don't believe anyone's ever made decals for the 112 Squadron ones:

Display_Missile_W.jpg

Edited by Procopius
112 vice 122 Squadron, jeepers.
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Giorgio - very kind. I'm planning more detailing on the other stuff too :) 

Thanks Bill :) OK, I'll dip the berries (berrys?) in hot water and... oh no, wait, I get it...

Like John's photo... thanks John :) 

Ejector marks and long sprue joins on the starter rockets:

35986335003_a9ef2a54bc_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

and when they're glued, horrid joins even though I was very careful to get the part numbers matched:

35988427293_f8a08314fb_z.jpg

Perhaps I should have gone for the best fit.

Sand, sand, polish, polish, ready for primer:

36400478720_ecd6ac181b_z.jpg 35963517614_e08517e43c_z.jpg

• Like 19

9 hours ago, John_W said:

It's a shame they lost the moulds for the "Guideline" missile set, that was another 70's classic.

Think I have 3-4 of them.  Built the missile and launcher when I was a kid and still have most of it in the stash.

would like to do a SAM site one day but it actually takes up a lot of space, even in 1-72nd.

Bloodhound coming along nicely.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Phil. A SAM site? That'd be something to see... :)

Thanks Ian :D 

Hi Dave :) Sorry, it's the Citadel Mouldline Remover.  I like it, a lot. Like other well designed tools it 'knows' what it's supposed to do and this one removes the flash / excess from seams without (if you just brush it over the seam) scratching the plastic. HTH.

Primed with Stynylrez white:

36753032616_0ed9bc83b3_z.jpg

• Like 13

Great work so far, Ced! It's an interesting and unusual subject. Really looking forward to seeing it completed, and just can't cope with your working speed...

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

You'll be finished before I even get the popcorn out.:popcorn: well at least I'm on page two this time. One week to go and you start a new build,that's just showing off. :analintruder:

Only kidding, you're doing a great job. Looking forward to seeing this come together while I get my rigging done. :guitar:

Jont.

ps. Another punch I see? Don't tempt me, I've used mine so much already, Honestly it's amazing.

• Thanks 1

How have I missed this? I built it as a kid as part of the Hercules kit, never realised it was available separately!

Nice job saving the dog, but I do think you could have left some sprue and carved it to look like a Puffin......

Ian

• Haha 6

Blinkin' 'eck, mate, you're giving me vertigo! :hypnotised:  I can't keep up! The NAV map-exercises (simple 8-figure grid coordinate plotting) that I'm doing today are a source of relaxation for me after this!

I have a collection of Trumpeter Guidelines, launchers and trucks, but you would choke because they're 1/35. Per @philp's comment above, I acquired enough for a SAM site myself some time ago (did a similar thing with Flak-88s, too)... I also have a Trumpeter 1/35 SCUD on transporter. I won't be trying to match your speed with any of them, however ;). No Bloodhounds in any scale, however :(.

You're even giving :sheep: vertigo!

On 26/08/2017 at 00:17, Procopius said:

but I don't believe anyone's ever made decals for the 122 Squadron ones:

Display_Missile_W.jpg

Well, Ced seems to quite like hand-painting sharkmouths, so I dare say he could give it a go without too much encouragment.

There is the time limit of less than a week, so I wouldn't twist his arm.

Very much.

Only a little bit...

:poke::whip: 

A. :sheep: <-- :hypnotised: --> 

Edited by AlexN
Stupid Flickr permissions, aaaargh!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ah yes,what memories,built this when it was available with the C-130 Hercules kit.There is/was a 1:32nd model available from David Parkins Flightline range for around £100 that was produced in resin.

Dave.

• Like 2

Thanks Jaime :) At the moment retirement is modelling with some interruptions! Once I settle into it I guess there will be other things to fill my time.

Thanks Johnny :) The punch set arrived this morning. Lovely. Of course I've stroked it, checked the punches and played with the hammer. One day I may even punch something with it!

Thanks Martian :) I LOVE Stynylrez! I spray mine at 25-30psi through a 0.4mm nozzle. Very forgiving, dries quickly, self-levels, fine detail protected etc etc. AND it's not smelly and cleans up with water (although the Badger cleaner is recommended for the airbrush). Oh, and you can brush it too! Lots of reviews on the web but highly recommended from me!

Hi Ian - don't worry, you're not missing a lot yet... page 2! Nice to see you :) 

Thanks Hairystick :D 

Thanks Alex :) (p.s. one of your pictures, the last one in the post, is missing!)

Thanks Dave :) Loads of nostalgia in this one eh? Good stuff.

I've decided I need somewhere to rest the missile while detail painting and where better than the launcher? Parts de-sprued:

36811588455_5d60d19358_z.jpg

I don't like that hole around the base pivot so out with the Humbrol filler:

35977006684_a6f17a3f0f_z.jpg

I like this stuff for this sort of job as it's good in larger gaps and it's 'hot' so it glues too. You can also mould it easily to start with and then sculpt it as it starts going off. Great for lazy people like me.

The cables at the back are horrid on the kit parts so some fuse wire was cut, glued into some drilled holes with CA:

35977627564_11f1214956_n.jpg 36415505930_1988a52c18_n.jpg

and then bent to shape:

35978500714_cd6e6dbeaa_z.jpg

Better.

I want to be able to brush paint the launcher so I've part assembled it and prepared the other bits:

35977899044_1261fd21c8_n.jpg 36642540652_3019a8da45_n.jpg

A quick dry fit to make sure it still goes up and down:

36642677902_94b491387d_n.jpg 36813374155_5df867734b_n.jpg

I'm going to 'rough brush paint' it using Humbrol Olive Drab (the field colour). Why do I have two pots, H66 and H155? The 66 is a flip top pot so it may be useless. We shall see!

• Like 16

Lovely progress, with just the right amount of scratch built details to spice it up properly :clap:

Do I spot primed and base coated crew in one of the pics?

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Alex :) (p.s. one of your pictures, the last one in the post, is missing!)

Grumble. I've dealt with it. By deleting it. Grrr. I had the picure (dead Sheep) set so that only I could see it on my timeline, but that resulted in the above. So I reset the permissions to normal and it can be seen on my timeline - but Flickr still seems ter fink dat it's hidden. It looked fine when I posted it from the imac, but I saw that the usual 'can't find image' sign on the ipad. :shrug: I mght have to have a look at the origianl,URL, which may well have changed since I switched the permissions (back). Computers. Bah humbug.

Sorry about the waste of thread real estate and bandwidth. Only just back and I'm apologising already :badmood:.

Grrrr.

Bloodhound leash looking good, snuffle sniff.

• Like 2

Good heavens! I've only had a quiet 48 hours and you're well onto page two Ced :frantic: !

The scribing has really improved the intakes.

I'm with you on the Humbrol filler. If anything they've actually improved the 'recipe'. It sometimes used to have a tendency to set too hard to enable nice blending, but these days it sands and blends beautifully.

I'm looking forward to the Land Rover :).

Percy likes the dog and can't see a family resemblance there at all :confused: . He's busy writing a new book on chess.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You might find that brushing a whisper of Humbrol Poly over the filler can help getting it smoothed in to those little spaces

I'd say it is definitely better than it used to be, 'back in the day'

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Thanks Giorgio :) Yep, the crew have had their Ratksin flesh coats and now their boots painted. The dog's had his undercoat too... er, not primer, you know, the coats dogs have under their main hair:

35982609254_ed8352a0ef_z.jpg

Thanks Alex :) Dead sheep? Oooer....

Thanks TT - Landrover coming soon... 

Thanks Bill for the tip on the filler :) 

Humbrol 66 is Olive Drab? Not on my lid, or in the pot:

36643790032_2caf2cfa62_n.jpg 36674699301_652113269f_n.jpg

Once thinned and stirred with the Badger it's a dark grey with maybe a tinge of green. Hopeless. In the bin. H155 much better, first coat on:

35980618804_9dfbb894f7_z.jpg

I use the H66 on the base and you can (maybe) see the colour on the sides? The rest has been overbrushed with the 155.

Red bits painted with H60, rocket exhausts painted with Mr Hobby Burnt Iron and the rocket mount with Mr Metal Color Iron, to be polished a bit later:

36677518721_5a5937d63e_z.jpg

• Like 13

Ah thanks Niall, that explains it. Removed from the bin! :) 

Where am I going to put this? And how can I make sure the dog stands up? I think he's been on the beer...

Diorama board. Hmmm. I don't have one of those.

I do have a lid from my annual box of crystallised Ginger which I can strip the decoration from:

36647829062_84b0dbd6f3_n.jpg 36647862282_7ecaa612b2_n.jpg

If it's big enough I'll spray it concrete / tarmac / bit of grass (for the dog).  Later.

Launcher has been assembled (fiddly):

36648000322_fa7358e73d_z.jpg

and been given a wash (after that shot) with Humbrol Dark Green wash.

Missile and rockets have had their noses masked and painted Tamiya Flat Black:

36422440290_50a7e69b1f_z.jpg

When that's dry the whole lot will get a coat of W&N satin varnish and then some careful weathering prior to final assembly.

Next up is (wait for it, wait for it) the Landrover:

36648272442_f28157c934_z.jpg

No glass in the windows. Hmmm. Number plate. Roundel. Pondering...

• Like 14