Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

Regarding the flattish hose.

I think @waylandsmithy's idea would work best.

How about stripping the insulation of electrical wire ?

Looking at this pic, the hose ridges could then be scribed on and save a lot of time which could be spent researching your Scimitar :wicked: (You HAVE got one I hope?)

wp067e1674_06.jpg

• Like 2

may I refer my honoured colleague to the picture supplied earlier in evidence

palouste_overhead_crop.jpg

Whilst having no objection to using such a device in differing circumstances the said photograph shows clearly that flattish whitish hose was in use in ship-board operations

This example being admittedly in reference to use on Fleet Air Arm Sea Vixens other ship borne hoses throughout the few photographs I have of specifically onboard are never those semi-rigid rubber types

I may be tempted to carve strips of polycard into shapes to suit, rounded off and suitably 'expanded' at the stiffeners it might fill the criteria

May it please the court to note that I have no intention to produce a Scimitar, that beauty is specifically reserved for my colleague's pleasure

I have more than enough to make as it is, I see the Firebirds Lightning 3s fading too far in the future already

And I feel the need, the need for speed

SOON

Isn't that black rubber hose the one they used on the Red Sparrows Gnats?

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Take a spring of the required diameter, wrap with PTFE tape.

I tried using ptfe tape back wheen I had a need to make such hoses Pete, but I could never get paint to stick well to it, hence changing to thin tissue paper....

Keith

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Maybe ballpoint pen springs or similar will do.

This is Perdus' play set obviously, but I honestly think that even a ball point pen spring would be too great a diameter for the air hose, just to highlight the minisculeness off this project!

• Like 2

On 6/1/2018 at 8:11 PM, perdu said:

Airhose, flattish

How to?

Well, you get a garden worm

Screen-Shot-2016-05-17-at-10.12.47.png

..and then you

[Censored]*

And hey presto!

Airhose, flattish

*The worm should obviously have died from natural causes before you resin cast the mortal remains; this isn't Bear Grylls...

That framework looks dead lush now with colour on Bill. :thumbsup2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, perdu said:

may I refer my honoured colleague 

Oh me!..sorry I got diverted.

Looking again at various pictures and in particular this one (which may or may not have been shown before as I haven't the willpower to go back and look) I don't think you have to worry about grooves or springs or anything.

If you save the photo  and enlarge the hose bit you'll see what I mean.

In 1/72,I doubt if you'd see any of the reinforcing on the hose.

tumblr_inline_nnbq1kfkZK1t90ue7_1280.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Oh me!..sorry I got diverted.

Looking again at various pictures and in particular this one (which may or may not have been shown before as I haven't the willpower to go back and look) I don't think you have to worry about grooves or springs or anything.

If you save the photo  and enlarge the hose bit you'll see what I mean.

In 1/72,I doubt if you'd see any of the reinforcing on the hose.

tumblr_inline_nnbq1kfkZK1t90ue7_1280.jpg

Glorious picture of Bill’s next project, too. Lightning, Schmitning - two a pennny.  Supermarine’s Leaktastic Maintenance Nightmare Monster, however, are rare as hen’s teeth.   And a perfect companion for Gannets and S1s, to boot.

You know it makes sense.  

(OK, I know you won’t be persuaded to build one, Bill - but you have to love a Scimitar!  I can hear my 1/48 Dynavector calling...)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Supermarine’s Leaktastic Maintenance Nightmare Monster,

Think of the fun you'll have Bill..PE drip trays and cast resin dustbins to say nothing of the dripping avtur and hydraulic fluid.

Re the tanks. I think they are the 220 gallon ones (they also carried 150 gallon ones)  but I don't know if the Hunter carried them.

Does anyone have a photograph of a Scimitar with the dustbins underneath catching the drips?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Are those drop tanks the same as the ones on Hunters of the period?

No, but Gannet AEW ones are. 

Easy way to tell is that the Hunter type tank has tail fins.

Sea Vixens could carry them but rare as the big 220 tank was more practical.

I have posted all the above pics in the main Palouste thread, but have been told to remove them, hence my reluctance to post reference pics lately.

:(

Who is telling you to remove these important reference shots?

Are  they causing copyright problems?

And isn't it time the Palouste thread got moved into a walkaround? Who do we ask?

In the Scimitar picture can we tell which bod in the picture would be operating the Palouste?

Yellow bibs or red

Or no bib 

• Like 1

Can’t be completely sure from that pic, but I think the red surcoats are actually red & black, which makes them Bombheads.  On no account allow an armourer to operate complicated equipment like a Palouste!  

I assume they’d be run by Grubbers (brown surcoats - there’s one looking under the port wing).  Possibly Yellow (Chockheads - aircraft handlers), but I think less likely.  Brown is the safest bet for your purposes.

@Scimitar, somewhere I have a shot of some Scimitars on the line ashore (I guess at Lossie) with a Pusser’s dustbin mounted on what looks like a pair of bike wheels, for ease of movement under the appropriate aircraft.  [If anyone is wondering what we’re talking about, the Supermarine Scimitar was legendarily leak-prone; even when serviceable it leaked all over the shop.  Most aircraft leak a bit, but the Scimitar turned it into an art form, by all accounts).

• Like 4

Similar then to the Mighty Sea Vixen

The survivor was chucking out fuel at Yeovilton last June, they're supposed to do that said the man in attendance

I am happy with brown thank you Crisp, ta

Tomorrow - bon chance and break a figurative leg, 'twas the fourth you said huh?

Looks like brown (see the left5 hand bloke), though with a Greenie in attendance in both cases - at a guess, not for the Palouste as such, but for the aircraft avionics during start-up?  [No apology for more Scimitars!]

41641883215_233214f06f_c.jpg

@Scimitar - here's my wheelie-bin drip tray; 700 NAS at Yeovilton, apparently!

40735412140_506b221c9d_h.jpg

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

here's my wheelie-bin drip tray;

Thanks for that. 

I never saw the wheelie bin at Lossie but clearly remember the galvanised bin under the fuel vent and several drip trays.

The aircraft in the shot is XD226/510VL of 700 Squadron and was probably taken in late 1958 / early 59.

She moved to Lossie in Feb 59 and was briefly with 764 before settling with 736.

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Who is telling you to remove these important reference shots?

Are  they causing copyright problems?

And isn't it time the Palouste thread got moved into a walkaround? Who do we ask?

In the Scimitar picture can we tell which bod in the picture would be operating the Palouste?

Yellow bibs or red

Or no bib 

mods

I argue no (and same pics from probably same sources are posted here), but it isn't my train set I guess

Palouste thread not in walkaround as I wanted it to have further posts for discussion and pictures, which it can't have in walkarounds section.

Some nice Paloustery here at 1:07, but sadly no colour bibs, 

And at 5.30 here, (BTW very useful hose shot, forget the ripples!... and very useful for your Bucc build)

If the bib colour thing is really important I can ask someone, but won't be until tuesday.

• Like 2

No thank you James, only important to a pedant

Like me

I'm quite happy to go with brown bibs, maybe have a yellow or red and black bib walking past the brownie, for colour

Mods

Yes OK its their toy, shame they get that way though

We have lost a lot of quality posts because of that in the past

• Like 1

Deffinitely Brown surcoats for grubber, red with black stripe for bombheads, yellow for chockheads, green for greeies and then there are pinkies!!! Not forgeting the bagers, the ships company crews on the flightdeck, white surcoats with a black strip. They were responsible for getting fuel to the cabs and assisting at the cats.

Colin

Edited by heloman1
finger trouble whilst typing...
  • Like 5

Yes, Colin - but would it havebeen a Grubber operating a Palouste?  That’s the question.  Seems the logical answer to me.  Waaaaay before our time, obviously...

1 minute ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Yes, Colin - but would it havebeen a Grubber operating a Palouste?  That’s the question.  Seems the logical answer to me.  Waaaaay before our time, obviously...

Sorry Crisp, didn't read the post correctly, yes to the grubbers operating the palouste but you know bombheads, they want to play with everyhting and know it all... There was as always a job overlap as the grubbers had the largest workload, the other trades were 'encouraged' to help out.

Colin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1