Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

Second copy of Airfix mag I checked, August 1972

p693 on the Modeltoys fullpage ad

"Announcing two more sets containing even more material"

Modeldecal 17 T33 mk3, F35 Draken, MosquiteoFB6, A4Skyhawk

Modeldecal 18 Royal Navy (Post war) Gannet 4 COD Sea Hawk F1, Wessex1, Avenger 6

The set 18 image imposed above the set 17 image, the Gannet prominent on the info page

looks nice...

I wonder...

The advert was a common theme thing with Modeltoys each month there was a new transfers issue , you will no doubt recall

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Scimitar said:

I love it when you talk technical!

Can anybody remember what year Modeldecal brought out the sheet which included COD4 XG786 ?

I found the slightly battered Frog conversion I did then but can't remember how old it is.

I still have the remnants of Modeldecal 18 and the instruction sheet says "Set 18  first issued in 1972; reissued with revised instruction sheet 1980 - I used some of the sheet in 2003 and the decals worked perfectly after all that time - quality stuff

CJP

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So

I have The Book

And a worryingly not a quite a good enough interior...

What to do huh?

James you were right, I have let this slide a tad

She was sat all forlorn at the back of the shelf on page 12

Sorry little Gannet, I got distracted by that big noisy Buccyneer over there a bit

From now you'll be a bit more joint effort like

:thumbsup:  

More in a bit when I decide whether I need to open her up for a bit of radical surgery

:(

Edited by perdu
  • Like 6

Hmmm

I'm not sure any of us expected this to be the first new picture in this set

but

P1140088.jpg

It had to be done  :(

The interior as previously fitted didnt fit

Not properly, so because this

P1140089.jpg

Remind anyone of the works of old, of Mr Martin Hale anyone?

Because of that I just couldn't, not rip her apart and goto rego

Anyway, hacking around gave me far better fits on the forward fuselage for the resin internals

ish

P1140093.jpg

the cockpit upper rim has been cut back some more and the port side internals refitted  with Roket Gel Stupogoo

P1140095.jpg

Work now ensues to get the starboard side ready for the resin

P1140096.jpg

a bit dark but still no flash and I am reluctant to mess around any more trying unsuccessfully to get the pictures out of the phone and into postimage.org

laters chaps

• Like 10

Biblic huh

Could be old chap

I have been waiting for these for quite a while but they arrived, at long last, yesterday

P1010030.jpg

Searching the 'bay for skinny saws this appeared for about 3quids

Needed doing din't it  :)

P1010032.jpg

Acourse if it's going to take a month to get new blades from China it may outlive its usefulness

P1010036.jpg

could have potential though... and for only a very few quids it would have been worth a look

P1010040.jpg

and it has its own security sleeve to protect the blade

P1010033.jpg

Blurry as usual but partly because now awfully visible

Now where did  I leave that Buccaneer?

• Like 5

I have been readjusting the positions of the cockpit/crew sections with a very ruthless scalpel and because the whole thing was so black

(Bet you noticed) I have been adding dots of colour to the switches and buttons that show a tad of colour with watercolour pencils

The newly revised interior as is

P1010042.jpg

P1010044.jpg

Hmm a bit blurry, sorry

I did have a minor, no soddit tell it like it is, major problem on the Buccaneer

Neither of my airbrushes would spray the Mr Colour paint

I know, shoulda stuck with Sovereigns but I was attempting a stealth paint job whilst the missus was away from the garage for a while

That wasn't such a big deal obviously, what was a huge big deal was me deciding to see how it brushed with a decent paint brush

Answer?

Not nicely and to make it worse I'd painted both outer Buccy  wings

EDSG...

Anyway the wings are in a tub of screenwash which seems to do a decent softening job so I can clean them up but the next big job is cleaning out both airbrushes

The one Im about to show is my least favourite cheapo

I know the device under the paint cup is an air valve but I am not sure how to set it, my thinking is that I usually have troubles with this one because the valve isn't set right

Can anyone advise me how to set that valve to its optimal position please?

P1010045.jpg

Anyway, that's today wasted but at least I got the brake parts for the Midget

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Nice internals Bill - good to see a touch of colour in all that black :)

I'm not sure about the airbrush valve but I think the idea is that you can use it to adjust the air pressure at the brush by letting the air leak out there... I just leave mine closed and adjust at the compressor as I'm not convinced the 'cheap' versions work that well. YMMV.

• Thanks 1

Ah

I think I get it

Open and it leaks pressure

Close and it don't

Well as I have a pressure valve, manometer and water trap on the fridge motor I'll just keep it screwed down tight

Thanks Ced

(D'you know what? I almost wrote "I'll just keep it screwed UP tight". Ixnay on that, I can get screw ups enough without calling them down on me from afar)

👅

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think that Tony @TheBaron used to succesfully use the valve on his cheapo airbrush Bill, so he might be able to offer a little more advice on setting it. I have an expensive Iwata thing with one, but as I'm too scared to actually use the airbrush much (due to the cost of replacement parts - which it now needs anyway, probably through lack of use!!) I just do what Ced does & leave it be...!!

Re your probs spraying the Mr. Color - what variety have you got, aqueous or laquer type? I have both & have more than once had problems spraying the latter by trying to thin them with water thinking they were the aqueous ones - the labels on the bottles are fairly similar so easy mistaka to maka! 

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've to rebuild it now Keith but the screw down tight and leave it alone philosophy appeals to me muchly

:)

I'm using aqueous but I think the problem was all self induced, not enough care taken in a chilly garage to get things right first time.

Then a mad rush to do the same and beggar up the other airbrush.

Senility calls, I hear its strident bellow down the road apiece.

• Like 3

I use the Aqueous stuff and it seems to work fine mixed 60% paint to 40% thinner at 15psi. Spraying is always better done at room temperature, perhaps you could explain this to Mrs Perdu? :door:

Martian

• Haha 3