Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

1 hour ago, perdu said:

They don't look like the ship's badge

I wonder if it was zapped ? 

The badge doesn't seem to take the form of the usual Royal Navy ones. Ignore all that. 040R has same badge.

You could do her without  it 

41586390464_2298729bfc_b.jpgEDIT: Just noticed that is not 466..still,it's a nice pic.

• Thanks 1

36402224790_0d8e0c5b09_c.jpg

The diamond between the foot hold/steps looks like it has been zapped but this isn't the only picture of 466 with that fin badge so I dont think that will have been a zap

Doesnt look like 849 waspie badge, was there an earlier one?

This is 849's badge:

81SzS1iOSPL._SX466_.jpg

I was going to suggest that as 466 used to be 3V that it was a stylised version of HMS Victorious' badge which looked like this.

33e51747c8051d0fdd8d91866cff59ab--naval-

That wouldn't explain the same badge being on 040R at a later date though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never stops being interesting does it

(New members would do well to ponder this, I have spent many zillions of hours researching these models instead of just making the darned things. "It's a trap I tell 'ee!")

I think I need to make that handling/towbar frame doohdah...

Doh...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, perdu said:

You've almost got enough now to reproduce that shot. Note man in red vest with red frame. Ladder? Fire stuff?

That tow bar was necessary because they never fitted powered steering to the Gannet.

Don't envy that guy's job. Walking backwards with a double Mamba and props ready to ruin your day.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, perdu said:

Lots more research gives me enough faith in that, so Victorious's emblem it's to be

Also, for sense she will proudly bear V on her tail

I have looked at all other possible options and the only crest that fits the bill is Victorious. Further research shows that the aircraft was allocated to 849 Sqn A Flight, which was Victorious' flight but was loaned to B Flight for service on Hermes on 30/09/1963. So the carrier code H was only there temporarily as she was eventually returned to A Flight. If one compares the two pictures one can see that the deck markings are one and the same, indicating that the code was most likely changed from V to H on board Hermes rather than the parent station RNAS Brawdy. This means that you can go either way and still be correct. The Hermes code with the Victorious crest would be a good talking point though.

Hope that helps.

Martian 👽

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Generally speaking the CODs wore the ships crest of the ship they were assigned to.  At one stage they were parented by the ship as part of the Ships Flt, until 849 took all the Gannets under its wing but kept the crests of the assigned ship.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Something I think many of us would enjoy seeing Bill.

Should you have the odd spare moment of course... :whistle:

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Generally speaking the CODs wore the ships crest of the ship they were assigned to.  At one stage they were parented by the ship as part of the Ships Flt, until 849 took all the Gannets under its wing but kept the crests of the assigned ship.

I remain in constant awe of the Jamesian Knowledge Bank. :worthy:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

but kept the crests of the assigned ship.

I guess they just never bothered to remove the crest from '466' when she went to Ark Royal (seen here in 1973 - 5 years after Victorious was withdrawn)

p1059992164-3.jpg

and with no apologies for another Gannet pic

85789530.jpg

• Like 6

I've been looking forward for seeing pictures of this stage for long and now ...here they are!!!

She looks really cool with decals on and the red striped spinner will imrove her look even more!!!

Nice choice and all well done !!!

Palouste looks  great and Mr 1 and 2 are on their way, so...let's wait and see!👍😉

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Scimitar said:

I guess they just never bothered to remove the crest from '466' when she went to Ark Royal (seen here in 1973 - 5 years after Victorious was withdrawn)

XA466 seems to have retained the crest until it was repainted in the EDSG/Sky with tactical markings scheme when the 849 crest replaced it, maybe out of sheer ruddy respect for the old girl!

When 466 was with B Flt it had a stylised Bee looking thorugh a telscope between the foot/hand hold markings diamond, I wonder if it had a similar A flt markings while with them?

In that last shot of '466 you can see that it has been fitted with an AS.4 D Mamba ECU and nose cowling, in EDSG & Sky, another interesting variation

That Gannet is looking bloomin marvelous Bill!  

The steering arm is a must now that you have done a Palouste!

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

respect for the old girl!

HMS Victorious was withdrawn and scrapped with a very minor fire being used as an excuse.

Perhaps retaining Victorious' crest also had a deeper meaning aimed at the Treasury?

As an aside,this is an excellent site :   http://www.hmsvictoriousassociation.com

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

HMS Victorious was withdrawn and scrapped with a very minor fire being used as an excuse.

Perhaps retaining Victorious' crest also had a deeper meaning aimed at the Treasury?

A very good point Richard!

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

Really?

You didnt believe?

Wow...

Anyway, there does not seem to be  a place for this so I'll drop it here

Palouste on a beer mat Mk1

P1010411.jpg

P1010410.jpg

I am hoping to get my hands on the little square work space cards that the competition sponsor supplies to complete this one better but I did need something to show at the club the other day

P1010409.jpg

This is an unfinished proof of concept variant and does not use the resin figures I cast but as it was only possible to glue the figure to the sandpaper I couldnt  go all the way on it

I dont expect this to come back after this unless I get the plastic beer mat base to drill figure's legs into

Thanks for looking

• Like 14