Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

32 minutes ago, CedB said:

I've zoomed the photo too and I think it's round on the bottom (fnaar!) and flat elsewhere? Just my :2c:

Absolutely concur with that Ced.  I have a few pictures of it at different angles and I would say the same.

I wonder if drawings ever existed for the hamper, or whether it was something made up in workshops?  The hose stowage was originally in the tail, when that was left off for ease of use it moved into the top hamper.  The manual certainly doesn't show it.

Sorry for the repeat photo Bill, I genuinely hadn't noticed that you had already referenced it.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

Rats. You could try some Network Extenders? Plug one in near the fibre and the other near the PC? Unless the engineer sorts it - the WiFi should  reach through the house eh?

think round on the bottom (the bit you've done with the pins) and flat on the bits you haven't done yet? James seems to agree :phew:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fortune smiles a bit then, I've only made the base in the round and have some fine Slater's flat white I can try to whip out the uppers from

I'm glad I looked at it again

Re: the WiFi the first thing I did was haggle a pair of extenders off the bay but frankly they are less use than a clock work liquorice allsort, and I love an allsort

What may be holding that up is the fact that the computer 'suite' is not on the ring but on a spur off it upstairs and nearly forty feet away from the router

Whatever, if tomorrows expert can't fix it I'm off to the comfortable and familiar telephone wire powered router up by the computer and the reliable Belkin behind the sofa down here

That all worked nicely

Doh why did I let myself get Ced-ed by an interesting 'next new thing'

Lesson learnt

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Whatever, if tomorrows expert can't fix it I'm off to the comfortable and familiar telephone wire powered router up by the computer and the reliable Belkin behind the sofa down here

That all worked nicely

You can't beat solid copper wire or un-interrupted fibre IMHO. Having spent a large part of my life in and and around IT that opinion still holds good 🤨

Tending to agree on the combination of flat and round as per above.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Doh why did I let myself get Ced-ed by an interesting 'next new thing'

Was it shiny? :D 

If it's any consolation Bill I'm much less interested in gadgets nowadays.

Tools on the other hand :Tasty:

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, perdu said:

Proper tech drawings must exist somewhere, now I wonder if we know anyone with close enough links to Yeoviltomn and the FAA museum who could elicit such relevant details from a mate?

As it happens, I have a question for the archives people (regarding drawings for the short-lived Lynx HAS2 MAD fit), so I will certainly try - but I am not likely to be down there for several weeks.  

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Thanks 1

That would be very kind Crisp. I do however expect to have made mine by then but I am thinking more of its archival value

I have been reconsidering the School Of Make It From Etch consideration and whilst building my flat sided fitments I have also been working out how such a contraption might develop

Each vertical will have to depart the curvy bit at the proper angle/tangent/direction thingy so that when raised out of 'the flat' they can sit level with the upper loop

This thinking stuff, not easy for we horny-handed sons of toil but I'm sure we are on a winner

Now when I get WiFi back at the pc I can research how the clever boys do the techy drawing stuff, it'll have to be clever 'cos I will only have a scale black and white drawing

Then maybe try to Fritag some etch out of thin, thingy, air...

• Like 1

Roight up. Just catching up after a brief absence. Sublime stuff I've been missing.

Blimey Bill...

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:38 PM, perdu said:

P1010336.jpg

Here's a suggestion for your next build...

IMG_0040.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I have been reconsidering the School Of Make It From Etch consideration

I had thought of etch too but didn't mention it earlier because of the combination of tubular bits and flat bits. Couldn't solutionise that in my head! Also never done that myself (the home made stuff) but as you say Fritag did a bit of that for his Hawk. Not sure what happened to him btw .......?

Daft question I'm sure amongst the wiser FAA types on here, but does a Palouste still exist anywhere like the FAA Museum at Yeovilton for example?

Terry

James (71chally) has access to the Palouste himbilonga friend at St. Athan which is where he photographed the in depth walk around in 'Post War' I understand so they're still extant, just not commonplace these days

I have been embracing the brave new world of pins and drawings

I placed the drawing I made on a cardboard box base, then pinned the guided outlines

Made the base frame in Slater's marvellous 0.010" red red plastic

After that had glued and set nicely began raising the support frames in lovely 0.010" x 0.020" strip

Comme ci

P1010342.jpg

Added cross braces following the patterns shown on the photo give us that

Time it was, and it was, time to begin the top strapping

The lead lump at the back is providing support to some of the stems

After I Tamiya Greened the stems they each got a tiny dollop ( dillop?) of stuporgoo to lock them in place

There's not much gripping areas between ten thou rod and the uprights, any help I can give them...

Then the first top rail went on

P1010343.jpg

Grim picture, I regret to admit but 😕

Then the other side rail went on

P1010345.jpg

In a minor, typical disaster the first rail fell off as the other one was bent to its task

I've glued it back and am treating the rail tops to the same 'tiny tad of stuporgoo' treatment as the bottom uprights

More pictures tomorrow! 

Hope fully on my PC rather than the tortuous methods imposed by hardly buggerall bandwidth when I'm trying to get into BM

Let's hope Sir Galahad can fix it, if he can't I know a man in the sky who will be invited to return

Like Zorro

Edited by perdu
  • Like 8

While we wait

'nuff of the pins already

P1010347.jpg

wangling and undoubtedly finagling awaits (amazed, your reporter has to report that due to a typo I just discovered that the spellcheck dictionary actually has the correct spelling for finagling, who knew huh?) and here is the frame awaiting a skinny coat of vallejo gelb so it''s  had a few blotches of NATO black to give the yellow a tattered and worn look when covered

Thusly

P1010351.jpg

The ten thou rod needs more paint too, incoming

and trimmed

P1010353.jpg

Shapes need adjusting however I quite like this version...

Now

Airhose, flattish

How to?

• Like 16

Simple really, unless it has pressure inside the flexible canvas (asbestossy) type hose seems to be flattish with sharpish bends

it is what it is, so needs to look a bit right

• Like 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Airhose, flattish

How to?

Make a 'spring' around a suitable diameter rod. Cut it into rings. Stick tissue paper over said rings with pva. Leave dry. Squash.....no idea if it'll work in 1/72, it's the way I used to make brake ducting for 1/24 race cars (apart from the squash bit!)

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that could work Keith ta mate

Some pictures of the hose show reinforcing type rings visible at interval along the length too

More pondering begins

• Like 1

Cheers Rog, you are your own best inspiration mate

Doing nicely over there

Now I have been refining this a bit, looking underneath I see that one side rail decided to part from the curve I set and run straight along much of the length

I might be able to reset that later, we'll see but I intended using this as the pattern piece anyway

The cage needs legs and feet in order to sit atop the curved body of the Palouste so I started by adding legs

Because the shape might not reset I wont worry about the feet yet  :)

No paint underneath either yet, all depends after all

P1010355.jpg

I think it is salvable, not trying tonight because I am a bit weary

The back strains are getting better but taking their time getting me right

Less than a fortnight to Le Mans, need to be right for that

And I had quite a cathartic time trying to rectify the cable guy's inability to sort the router and getting onto his owner and cancelling a service quite unsuitable for purpose

phew...

• Like 6

Whilst I think deep thoughts about the flattish pipe conundrum I did a trim and restick on the framework for the hampers

P1010357.jpg

The feet will be fettled today and the open panels fitted to the bodywork

The frame has been straightened up too

P1010358.jpg

And the paintwork improved

P1010359.jpg

I do not think I need find much more to do to this now and I feel refreshed enough to tackle XA466 again now

• Like 14

sheesh.  I shuffle off for an afternoon and come back to find a triple post by BM's finest filigree fixerupperer.  That palouste is so good it deserves a thread of it's own

• Thanks 1

Didn't I see one of those in the background of a Star Wars scene?

Your hose. I read a tip in car modelling some time ago.

Take a spring of the required diameter, wrap with PTFE tape.

Voila, one hose. You can then flatten it as required.

Maybe you'll need multiple springs depending on hose length?

Maybe ballpoint pen springs or similar will do.

• Like 3