Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

Bill, now you have finished the strengthening plate, maybe an alternate route you could have taken, was to get then laser cut out of Overhead Projector film?

Apologies if this comes too late.

Colin

• Like 1

I think the paint option certainly has mileage in it. I know you are averse to the smelly stuff, but what about a few coats of rattle can Mr Surfacer? Recckon that would give you a nice finish built up with light coats.

• Thanks 1

Yes, not personally averse to proper paint Tomo but SHE has ordained an injunction against

Not that it stops her blasting all sorts of 'esters and aerolytes into the atmosphere at the drop of a bog seat lid, that :( Glade has really pongy stinky heavy masking agents that hit my sinuses

And washing up liquid has its own aromas of stinkiness and its me that has the washing up on his to-do list

I am going to look at the plastic sheet I printed t'other day, that might go nicely

The stiffeners don't look very thick in real life

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 71chally said:

Excellent walkaround of XA466 here, best I've seen, http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/waGanno2.html

I share his pain re taking photos in that part of the Museum; even with a tripod I struggled to get clear shots of Vixen, Scimitar or Buddy Refuelling Pod.  I did better with the 2 Buccaneers, so maybe there’s a fraction more light at that end of the “deck”

• Like 2

It is impressive in there but it certainly hasn't been deemed ideal to pose the 'deck' in bright Mediterranean light has it

I do love the place though, must be time for another trip soon

After Duxford in May probably

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I share his pain re taking photos in that part of the Museum; even with a tripod I struggled to get clear shots of Vixen, Scimitar or Buddy Refuelling Pod.  I did better with the 2 Buccaneers, so maybe there’s a fraction more light at that end of the “deck”

I've nearly always managed, however I really struggled when I went this year - maybe some bulbs have gone!

I just wish they would raise the light for photography, even if it was just an hour window during the day.

36839408566_e62a8a0c31_c.jpgFlight Refuelling Ltd Mk20A Refuelling Pod by James Thomas, on Flickr

28454079124_2b43baa47e_c.jpgde Havilland Sea Vixen FAW.2 XS590 131-E 899 Sqn by James Thomas, on Flickr

• Like 2

I have restarted the attempt at marking the skin panels with paint, Stylenrez Primer top and bottom

Also restarted getting copies of the wing tanks, the COD POD came out OK so I will be casting from them tomorrow if the snow keeps off, the garage is no place to be if there's inches of snow outside the aluminium doors

Can you detail in a bigger scale @perdu ?!

This is an original Fairey model of their then freshly announced Gannet AEW.3, it is made of solid hardwood and is beautifully made.

The condition has suffered, and my intention is to reconstruct the tailplane trailing edges, fin top and various other small areas that have taken a knock.

I also need to make a new spinner and a windscreen and canopy, which I will try and hot form from some acetate sheet and a buck.

The paint has delaminated all over which is a real shame, the choice is to leave as is or strip and try and faithfully reproduce the colours and scheme.

It is pictured here with original Fairey scale drawings and paint directives for newly produced AEW.3s, the model happens to be the same scale as the drawings, and also the same aircraft, XL449 the first production Gannet AEW. 

It is also seen with an original photo depicting the model ready for display for an SBAC show (guessing 1958).

Daughter shown for scale (thinking around (1:24th)! 

39069119824_b469877fd9_c.jpggannet model by James Thomas, on Flickr

39069118234_a00bbd203f_c.jpggannet model by James Thomas, on Flickr

39069117304_7e5c544311_c.jpggannet model by James Thomas, on Flickr

39069115654_88d5fb4a3f_c.jpggannet model by James Thomas, on Flickr

39069114224_0fc5d54171_c.jpggannet model by James Thomas, on Flickr

It's a bit scruffy now, but a unique and treasured item.

Hope you don't mind the interlude, just keeping the Gannet fire burning!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Wow!  That’s serious history you have there.  Send it to Airfix and tell them to issue a 1/24 Gannet AEW 3 pronto.

(I don’t think your daughter looks scruffy, but she’s clearly unique and treasured!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

That is superb, she's a little sweetie James

And so is the beautiful Gannet

😊

In case you are worrying about mine, I am slowly building up layers of thickness, I'll prolly demask tomorrow or Sunday and then well see about 'getting the additional panels right'

Also been making moulds for Gannet underwing tanks, which are working nicely too. 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Knockout photos from a historical perspective James - aeronautical history indeed. Great picture of your daughter too, reacting in the only proper fashion to a Gannet.

A credit to your parenting skills sir. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1