Gannet ripple and relaxxxx

perdu

31 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Lovely shots Fritag, actually my favourite bird is the Gannet.

Mine too James;  love the way they plunge headlong into the sea after fish,  Breathtaking.

I have in fact got a close up reference shot for the build Bill - taken last time I was in the Shetlands :D

Another iPhone shot - so I expect your Dad will have better James - but it is surprising what iPhone can manage if your lucky enough to get close.  This chap went by very close :D

RSCN1508_zps78be0ce8.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, perdu said:

I haven't completely decided yet but I think I'd like to reprise 777 the COD Gannet I modelled thirty five years or so ago

Soo that leaves you with at least five options,

36402224500_60084e3c3a_c.jpgGannet COD.4 XA466 3 V by James Thomas, on Flickr

Victorious 849 A Flt

36402224790_0d8e0c5b09_c.jpgGannet COD.4 XA466 3 H by James Thomas, on Flickr

Hermes 849 A Flt

36402224170_246d68b6f0_c.jpgGannet COD.4 XA466 040 R by James Thomas, on Flickr

Ark Royal 849 B Flt

21020844662_d9017fce9e_c.jpgFairy Gannet T.5 XA466 LM777 849 Sqn 19-05-78 by Peter Foster, on Flickr

Lossiemouth 849 HQ Flt (Peter R Foster Flickr)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 71chally said:

36402224500_60084e3c3a_c.jpgGannet COD.4 XA466 3 V by James Thomas, on Flickr

Victorious 849 A Flt

All great photos, but I especially love this one.  Both Mambas going, and some poor Chockhead has still got to attach that catapult bridle to the shuttle... with two blimmin' great airscrews about 6" from his head...  What could possibly go wrong?

Look at all that lovely wing fold; the Gannet really was the peak of the metal origami art!

Nice to see a red & black "Aardvark" 849 A Flt aircraft, too; because B Flight were on Ark's final commission, AEW Gannets almost always seem to be yellow & black in model-land.

[Incidentally, I wish someone would make a resin Palouste air starter (visible top right by the 801 NAS Bucc S2).  The diorama possibilities for 60s and 70s FAA jets are endless.  If I could find some good quality drawings / photos, it'd do; scratch building ought to be doable, but you do need decent references!]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

Mine too James;  love the way they plunge headlong into the sea after fish,  Breathtaking.

This is mesmerizing,

The Gannet was unusual for it's time in that it didn't have nose wheel steering, on a crowded deck it couldn't taxi fast enough for the differential braking to be effective so it had to be steered around the deck by a gang of deck handlers.

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

[Incidentally, I wish someone would make a resin Palouste air starter (visible top right by the 801 NAS Bucc S2).  The diorama possibilities for 60s and 70s FAA jets are endless.  If I could find some good quality drawings / photos, it'd do; scratch building ought to be doable, but you do need decent references!

From 6.00 mins in, shows how close to the action they were!

Would be great to see a Palouste pod model, amazing that there isn't one available.

I know someone who might have a manual.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

All great photos, but I especially love this one.  Both Mambas going, and some poor Chockhead has still got to attach that catapult bridle to the shuttle... with two blimmin' great airscrews about 6" from his head...  What could possibly go wrong?

Look at all that lovely wing fold; the Gannet really was the peak of the metal origami art!

Nice to see a red & black "Aardvark" 849 A Flt aircraft, too; because B Flight were on Ark's final commission, AEW Gannets almost always seem to be yellow & black in model-land.

[Incidentally, I wish someone would make a resin Palouste air starter (visible top right by the 801 NAS Bucc S2).  The diorama possibilities for 60s and 70s FAA jets are endless.  If I could find some good quality drawings / photos, it'd do; scratch building ought to be doable, but you do need decent references!]

I'll second that re the Palouste starter - how about a decent Buddy refuelling pod in 1/48 & 1/72 too with decals for both

CJP

2 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Walkround is right here chaps, no need to go elsewhere

Thanks for the reminder Steve, Danielle did a fabulous job on the Gannet for me

I do appreciate these shots

Mind you its a bit of an overload trying to work out which set is for which cockpit, but I have got there

Had a nice heavy little package in the post this a.m, Gannet (one?) takes a step forwards

Ta James

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Walkround is right here chaps, no need to go elsewhere

I am familiar with it but It didn't have the required undercarriage shots, that's why I suggested the other sites.

A very detailed walk around though.

Glad the bits arrived this morning Bill, was hoping not to hold your build up!

• Like 1

Yes thanks James, nice surprise too

The build, both in fact, is on hold today as it is the gaffer's birthday and I think I'd be pushing the bounds of decency messing with models just now

All good tomorrow though

• Like 4

On 26/08/2017 at 3:57 AM, CJP said:

I'll second that re the Palouste starter - how about a decent Buddy refuelling pod in 1/48 & 1/72 too with decals for both

CJP

Flightpath do a pretty decent 1/48 Buddy pod (I used it on my Mk1 Vixen) - but I grant you it doesn't have decals.  No Palouste, though!

Edit: the simple process of entering "Palouste" into Hannants' site shows that the CMR 1/72 Scimitar apparently has one in it.  But nothing in 1/48.

[Sorry, Bill, though it is kind of Gannet / Buccaneer related]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, fatalbert said:

If I recall correctly,the alley cat aew gannet had a palouste included in the box.

You do, along with the underwing fuel tanks and baggage pods, that would make a great stand alone set for the Gannet.

• Like 1

It just looks like a drop tank of dubious, possibly continental origins with assorted attached gubbinses

I have a cunning plan

And a lot of assorted odd drop tanks...

And tonight I will return to the fray, hoopla!

• Like 2

LOL

I have been engaging first gear on my googlefoo, seeking Paloustes for some daft reason

No pictures I've yet googled have that metal grid frame on too, was it a 'ship-centric' adaptation?

I will be mostly working wheels for casterey type games and getting the airbrake framework installed slowly on the Buccy today

And maybe tomorrow

😉

• Like 2

I have seen the top hamper fitted in shore based shots, think it kept the starter hose neat & tidy while in regular use, you often see the tail of the pod removed as well.

You can see it in the various FAA carrier films on youtube etc.

Edit, one shore one here at 00:11, 

Nice shot of one hung up on a Gannet (From the excellent Radfan Hunters page)

XL494-432_Ksar_1963_RD.jpg

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I missed this, but there is a Palouste with hamper basket in that Gannet on Victorious picture!

Looks like one.

Martian

• Like 1