Tamiya 1/35 Stug4

Hi guys, 

For last two months I've been working on this one. It is my 2nd model I ever did. All the tips and critique is welcome :)

I'll try to make some better pictures when I there will be sun outside. Hopefully it will be still this year ;) 

Hope you will enjoy!

20170823_194337

20170823_19425220170823_19423020170823_19414120170823_19450520170823_19444320170823_194359

• Like 19

Welcome to the BM and the best forum therein.

WOW!

If that's only your second model ever, I think you're heading for stardom!

That's a fantastic, dirty and weary looking StuG and clearly very well constructed and painted. The weathering is superb, the chipping perfect.

I would point out that the commanders periscope lenses could do with a coat of black (or black-blue, black-green)

Apart from that, I can't find any faults with it, but as you are asking for any critique I suppose I could mention one of my own personal 'dislikes' and that's large amounts of mud and grass on front (and rear) fenders. On the undersides of fenders is fine : of course mud and grass would accumulate there. But I've always felt suspicious of it accumulating on the exposed surfaces. 

I know this is being hyper-critical, but here's my thinking.

Firstly, a vehicle would have to drive, or dive, into very wet mud... more of a muddy goo really.... to get that mud splashing up onto the front of the fender and staying there, and muddy goo tends not to have grass growing in it And even if it did, how was the grass 'cut' so that it splashed up with the muddy goo? But let's say there was 'cut' grass mixed in with it for some reason, and it 'splashed' up onto the fender... would it not get washed off fairly quickly as the vehicle continued to drive across what is obviously wet ground, or through rain? And would not long (possibly wet) grass and undergrowth brush the fender clean before it dried? I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying that it seems unlikely, and more importantly to me, it looks wrong.

Meanwhile, the grass and mud stuck along the bottom of the armour skirts is an addition that adds to the realism and looks fantastic to me. I can see how that would have gotten there, and stayed there.

So, I hope you don't take my 'dislike' of your muddy grassy fenders to heart, because, as I said, it's just a personal bugbear of mine. Anyway, I suspect you'd rather read my 'in depth' -  some would say 'picky' - critique rather than what I could have written, which would just have been 'WOW!'

I look forward to your next AFV, and if you stick it in a diorama, even better!

Rearguards,

Badder

I was going to say, great job on the schurzen and then saw the next pic with the schurzen removed and it's even better.  What a dirty beat up old Stug and it looks 

like something I've seen on WWII archive video reels, just amazing.

What did you use on the spare track links as I can never ever get them looking that good?

Lloyd

Interesting model and lots of weathering here. If I can I would like to point one thing. In my opinion the gun barrel and mantlet looks little bit like from different model - just like in the middle of weathering process you forget about them. Hope you understand what I mean.