Revell 1/72 Irish Air Corps UH--60A Blackhawk

Dermo245

Hi everyone,

More of a 'what might have been' than 'what if'.

In the mid 2000’s in the Republic of Ireland, consolidation of aircraft and responsibilities led to a competition to replace the Air Corps’ 40-year-old Alouettes in the Army liaison role with a new, larger utility type helicopter that could also fulfill a Medium lift role.

The competing types for the order were the proven Sikorsky Blackhawk, the Eurocopter Cougar and the Agusta-Bell (now Agusta Westland) AB139 which was originally designed as a civilian machine and at that time had no military users.

From what I’ve read, the Irish Air Corps and Army’s preference was the Blackhawk - which members of our Forces (particularly our Ranger Spec Ops Wing), were familiar with having being part of the UN operation in East Timor with Australian Blackhawks and also while on training ops in the US. The Blackhawk’s service record worldwide was regarded as being better than the Cougar. There were also reports that Sikorsky offered a very good deal to the Irish Government which would have brought six new a/c and six reconditioned machines for a very competitive price.

In the end, the AW139 was selected and the Air Corps became the first military operator of the type. Six aircraft currently serve with No. 3 Operations Wing.

For what it's worth, Agusta Westland have now developed a pure military version, the larger AW149.

So here it is, Revell's re-box of Italeri's UH-60A in Irish Air Corps markings. If you're interested, the full WIP build is here. This was the first....and last Revell/Italeri Blackhawk I'll build....really poor fit and general detail and it can't really hold it's own against the newer Hobby Boss kits which I'd rate as being far superior. Oh well, you live and learn!

Cheers,

Dermot

36572411112_27c37636e8_b.jpg

36695109486_57c375b063_b.jpg

35907824244_3a43b149eb_b.jpg

35907836494_d7d32d1d67_b.jpg

36572413502_e04dfdef7c_b.jpg

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing photo links
  • Like 20

• 8 months later...

Funnily enough I'm sure the IAC actually had pre ordered the S-92 not the Blackhawk until the Eurocopter agent intervened.  The decision was reversed in favour of the AW-139  & no disrespect to 3 Support wing but the AW-139 isn't really suited for troop transport does make a very nice ministerial helo though which may well have been the original idea.

Plus the when I heard about the the PC-12 order I thought it was a typo and should have been PC-21 :angrysoapbox.sml: 

nice model dermo hope you don't mind me diving in on your thread

regards

Eamonn

• Like 1

That's exactly what it was bought for, flying fat ministers to open off licences. Doesn't happen now of course but the Air Corps is left with a undeployable civvie chopper instead of a military aircraft. 

Eamonn I think you're mixing up the two. The S92 was ordered as an SAR helicopter. Eurocopter stopped that and in any case the Air Corps because of the infighting lost the SAR role. Not their finest hour. 

As for the PC12, it's another excellent executive aircraft, this time painted grey, with no obvious military utility. Should have been a Caravan. 

Should be renamed, Irish Air Club.😕

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Noel

The S-92 were to be troop transporters not SAR which bizarrely CHC use currently  showing exactly what the IAC missed.   Sikorsky had a mock up done at the time in standard army green with a large Tricolour on the side of the fuselage,  Until the Eurocopter agent got involved I believe the initial order was for three and a down payment had been made.  In regard to the Casa & Helicopter off licence trip one must remember our betters deserve to travel in style befitting their status.   

PC-12 decision was  disgraceful but in lieu of a nice juicy A319 & lack of a Gulfstream it makes sense to our pampered elite. Meanwhile the defence forces are underfunded with lack of decent kit and are still being sent overseas on vanity  UN missions.

regards

Eamonn

• Sad 1

There were also offsets for the S92 offered if I remember.  But even so the Blackhawk was the obvious choice. 

As for the PC 12, it's a bizarre decision. What on earth is the use for a single engined pressurised transport with an intercontinental range in a country it so small it can can reach any part of it in half an hour? 

Answers on a postcard please, addressed to the OC Air Corps.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 8:38 PM, noelh said:

As for the PC12, it's another excellent executive aircraft, this time painted grey, with no obvious military utility.

Not disagreeing with the overall thrust of the argument, but the lack of obvious military utility is one of the reasons an unspecified number are in service at Hurlburt Field...

1 hour ago, XV107 said:

Not disagreeing with the overall thrust of the argument, but the lack of obvious military utility is one of the reasons an unspecified number are in service at Hurlburt Field...

Ah yes we are all fully aware of the most useful U-28 in the service of the United States Air Force. 

Yes an ISTAR capability was specified in the tender. We'll see how that works out. The Air Corps is not the USAF. Most likely they will end up as air ambulance and communication roles. 

This has been discussed on the Irish military website.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

According to AFM first one has already flown I suppose there is the possibility of it being displayed at RIAT next year the two PC-9s looked lovely but no one around them Friday or Sat at least the Casa is usually opened up to have a peek!

Be interesting to see the plush ministerial seats 😂 

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...

The problem with the Irish Department of Defense, and by extension the so-called Irish government, is that they apparently will NEVER buy American! If they can get a capable aircraft at a good price that is manufactured in the USA and favored by the Air Corps crews, they will buy some European executive airplane or helicopter. 🤦‍♂️ 

The Blackhawk looks good in IAC markings. It'd be overkill doing civilian air ambulance missions on a daily basis though! 

BM.

• Thanks 1