1/32 Revell Eurocopter SA330J PUMA and 1/35 Dragon UH-1N Gunship Rambo 2 Screen Capture Diorama

Hi guys, here are the final pictures for the Rambo 2 diorama. In the movie, Rambo's Huey gets shot up by the Hind and a fire with lots of smoke erupts in the back left side of the heli. I wanted to recreate the smoke, so by using a product for RC boats I was able to achieve the correct look.

Obviously I started out only wanting to build the Hind/Puma conversion model, then I realised I had the correct Huey that was in the movie and things just snowballed into this mega giant diorama that is no way going to fit on anybody's shelf LOL! The plan is that I can take the helis off the diorama and take the helis with the base maybe to a show in the future.

I look forward to any comments and/or criticism, finally as Rambo said in the movie to Murdock "Mission Accomplished!". If you want to see my work in progress of this build, click the box below.

85N0NM1.png
kntv8jd.png
WLt3NKe.png
4w0RIc8.png
CgBAGeL.jpg
k6jzsuP.jpg
u6W1yRt.jpg
JzlzDp5.jpg
WtcKsRg.jpg
dTajxKa.jpg
KCPCVY9.jpg
5skYiHc.jpg
lwbAf4C.jpg
6gACnE2.jpg
yu6bcix.jpg
LWLFjjG.jpg
5GPgFF1.jpg
0AVHDbU.jpg
JdC86CQ.jpg
mDh83rh.jpg
01HrRwB.jpg
OeIPqNK.jpg
xLsTE7h.jpg
cheRg7T.jpg
rSE6hXw.jpg
vSxtZ1Z.jpg
We8aZPQ.jpg
OaxXETV.jpg
Z0yCGz5.jpg
f6hUJiF.jpg
uwl3nnn.jpg
ts3Nv1Z.jpg
IStpZZw.jpg
ztVIqok.png
ZU85uYV.png

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 14

Hi Lee,

I started following your WIP but it was so full of photos my laptop couldn't handle the deluge! It would take so long for the photos to load that in the end I had to give up! We're talking half an hour or more here!

There's a whole bunch of photos here as well, but at least some of them have loaded... and wow. Just wow. I'm speechless. It's a good job I'm typing then.

This is a stunning diorama. The conversion is incredible and although I too know that was never a real Hind, your copy of the fake looks superb. As does the Huey. And the water. And the undergrowth along the bank, and the figures, and,  well, everything.

Congrats on producing a masterpiece!!

Reargaurds,

Badder

Still only half a dozen photos have loaded up... but hey.

There's one thing I've noticed which you might be able to do something about and that's the boulders in the river. I'm not sure if they are supposed to be poking out clear of the water, or the 'water' level dropped as the resin cured and left them exposed, because they are completely coated in the resin. You could say they are wet, what with the waves from the downdraught, but from the wrong angle they look like bumpy water.

Anyway, I think the boulders would look a lot better if you somehow removed the resin from  them, or were able to paint them in a way to make them look like stone again?

I can't find any other faults btw, though I've looked hard!

Rearguards,

Badder

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Still only half a dozen photos have loaded up... but hey.

There's one thing I've noticed which you might be able to do something about and that's the boulders in the river. I'm not sure if they are supposed to be poking out clear of the water, or the 'water' level dropped as the resin cured and left them exposed, because they are completely coated in the resin. You could say they are wet, what with the waves from the downdraught, but from the wrong angle they look like bumpy water.

Anyway, I think the boulders would look a lot better if you somehow removed the resin from  them, or were able to paint them in a way to make them look like stone again?

I can't find any other faults btw, though I've looked hard!

Rearguards,

Badder

Cheers Badder,i did paint over the stones with a weak solution of Vallejo matt varnish that was still wet when i took the pics,but point taken.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SimonT said:

Very very impressive, the water ripples look great, I'll have a read of your WiP later and steal your secrets. You must be chuffed with that, superb work.

Cheers Simon,it's my third dio with water my 1st was the paddle steamer Robert E Lee,my 2nd was the seaview from voyage to the bottom of the sea.I hope to build a 1/350 Titanic in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...

A superb diorama, with HUGE attention to detail. Really excellent work. The water looks great and I know how difficult scale water is to pull off. 

I tried to watch the film a few months ago. Switched it off after twenty minutes... I could feel my brain turning to mush with every passing second. Moronic, flag-waving, wish-fulfillment cobblers! 

Cheers.

Chris. 

• 4 weeks later...