Tamiya Panzer Kampfwagen IV Ausf.D

mikeron

So I have started my second kit.

I chose a cheaper one again as I am going to attempt a few firsts on it. I am going to try hairspray chipping and a whitewash. For some reason, this Tamiya kit felt like it had significantly more mold lines than my last one.

Anyway here are a couple of photos. Not very interesting but I thought I would post anyway as I have a question.

jTyW5OG.jpg

5wfSFTI.jpg

So as you can see there are a couple of pegs on the front of each of the fenders. After looking at a few reference photos for painting purposes I have realized I should have removed them. 

Should I cut them off? Or is this going to make a mess? The model is not primed in proper primer so I am assuming that sanding it is just going to make a mess? I am using Tamiya paints.

Thanks

• Like 3

Nice start, in regards to your peg dilemma you could us a sharp craft knife blade and wip them off. Or cut them off with a set of sprue cutters and file any remainder off.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice start, in regards to your peg dilemma you could us a sharp craft knife blade and wip them off. Or cut them off with a set of sprue cutters and file any remainder off.

Yeah I was thinking of doing that. I was just worried filing would mess up the paint. Cutting would probably be the best option I would imagine. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Mike

Looks good so far.  If you cut the pegs off flush with the hull top then just leave them without filing the whitewash will mostly hide them.  Just don't chip up

the whitewash in that area too much so they aren't obvious.  

Good luck with the whitewash.  If you use Tamiya XF-2 white mixed with a  few drops of XF-57 Buff it looks good.  Just don't let the white dry too long, assuming you spray, as it's a

bugger to get off when completely cured.  A light random coat is best as I've discovered as if it's too thick in places it doesn't come off even if you scrub like crazy.

At first it doesn't appear the toothbrush is doing anything then suddenly the paint will start to flake off so slow down.  I didn't

on my Panther and had a huge bare spot that I had to do the hairspray, paint and scrub routine the second time to try to cover some of it.

I have done 3 models in the last week experimenting with whitewash and none have turned out the same so each attempt is unique.  I'm still not completely

satisfied with any of my experiments but enough is enough.

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

When i tested the hairspray technique on an old king tiger i put two very liberal coats of hairspray on before i sprayed my white. Once it was sprayed i waited about 5 minutes. Dipped the brush in a bowl of water a scrubbed away. It worked pretty good as the paint wasnt cured yet. I was happy as i got some streaking in the whitewash that looked pretty realistic. 

59 minutes ago, Sairou said:

Are you sure the barrel of the 75mm should be gunmetal? I've never seen that before, and would be interested if that were correct.

The barrel is painted black at the moment. Looks kinda shiny in the photo as it was brushed black. Forgot to mask the barrel when spraying the hull red. Any tips to make brushed paint as matt as sprayed paint?

This is painted the base colour for everything. The tank and turret are going to be hair-sprayed then a coat of panzer grey will be sprayed before I attempt chipping.

I was under the impression that the hull was primed in red oxide but the barrels were primed with a heat resistant black paint.

I was also hoping Tamiya's hull red paint would be redder but I suppose this will have to do.

Edited by mikeron
word

1 hour ago, mikeron said:

The barrel is painted black at the moment. Looks kinda shiny in the photo as it was brushed black. Forgot to mask the barrel when spraying the hull red. Any tips to make brushed paint as matt as sprayed paint?

This is painted the base colour for everything. The tank and turret are going to be hair-sprayed then a coat of panzer grey will be sprayed before I attempt chipping.

I was under the impression that the hull was primed in red oxide but the barrels were primed with a heat resistant black paint.

I was also hoping Tamiya's hull red paint would be redder but I suppose this will have to do.

Well, the simple answer to how to make brushed paint matte... Is to coat it with matte varnish.

That's an interesting point about the heat resistant black paint too, I hadn't thought of that before. I'd also urge you to be careful with the hairspray technique, as it's easy to go overboard, meaning that unless you want the panzer to be a very old, almost derelict and poorly cared-for example, it's worth only using a toothpick for the chipping method, or just being very careful with the toothbrush.

I tried a similar technique on my recently-finished Jagdpanzer, and based on that experience, this is my two cents on the matter.

Edited by Sairou
Speling mistaks
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I can't remember for the life of me ... but what is the angle iron frame underneath the gun for ?  Is it to mount a cover/dust jacket ?

I am pretty sure it's to stop the tank crew from shooting their own aerial. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, razzie43 said:

Picture one above....i see some strange colors there...blue,green....and what kind of color has that panzer?

Not sure what you mean. If you mean the top left that's some games workshop stuff. If you mean on the panzer nothing looks green to me?

55 minutes ago, razzie43 said:

d9ee1bd3db4c7c36bb1121a652707162.jpg

i mean this photo...

Ah, I see. Was looking at the wrong photo.

The Blue colour is the fire extinguisher which was painted a blue grey colour as far as I am aware. As for the barrels they are painted flat black but they are painted with a brush so they are not very 'flat' so the green tinge must be from the reflection of the cutting mat.

• Like 1

That's why i place a picture on it...i think i understand what you are doing now...

You want to bring up the color under it with some hairspray technique?Right?

i always paint my material (accesoires) after my weathering tank.

And sometimes im to lazzy to put them on...hehe :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got some time to do the white wash. 

Earlier in the week I had added the decals and did a gloss coat. Always surprised how much the gloss coat darkens the paint under it. 

EobyZdL.jpg

Here's a shot of the white sprayed on. 

zTtPbAX.jpg

And now some after the chipping. 

Ak9HsOX.jpg

wqaF4KX.jpg

wGqEzAz.jpg

6rD3jPK.jpg

DXSv3W7.jpg

C7xccts.jpg

baYgw90.jpg

What does everyone think? Should I go further? Did I go too far? I added a few drops of buff to the white but it still looks really white. Should I have added more buff?

Think I am quite happy with how it turned out. 

• Like 2