1/48 - Bristol Type 171 Sycamore by AMP - HR.50/.51, Mk.52/Mk.14 & HR.14 - released - new Mk.4/HR.50 boxing by Red Roo Models

Homebee

I have the kit in my hands and there is a great deal of clean up to be done on it prior to construction commencing as there is flash all over the sprues. The plastic on the fuselage is also rough looking and may need very gentle sanding so as not to damage the fine rivet and panel line details. I will be doing a review in the next few days on Aussie Modeller on the kit.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Harvs73 said:

I have the kit in my hands and there is a great deal of clean up to be done on it prior to construction commencing as there is flash all over the sprues. The plastic on the fuselage is also rough looking and may need very gentle sanding so as not to damage the fine rivet and panel line details. I will be doing a review in the next few days on Aussie Modeller on the kit.

Hmm.....interesting.....I've just received a copy of this kit via the Big H and it bears no resemblance to that which you describe above. No flash present and the plastic surfaces are on a par with the majority of mainstream kit manufacturers. This leads me to think that maybe there were at least two batches of the kit produced. I was very impressed with the quality of plastic (both grey and clear) contained in the box given the Limited Run nature of these particular kits.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Harvs73 said:

Oh dear

1 hour ago, Tiger331 said:

Hmm.....interesting.....I've just received a copy of this kit via the Big H and it bears no resemblance to that which you describe above. No flash present and the plastic surfaces are on a par with the majority of mainstream kit manufacturers. This leads me to think that maybe there were at least two batches of the kit produced. I was very impressed with the quality of plastic (both grey and clear) contained in the box given the Limited Run nature of these particular kits.    

That sounds better. Strange, perhaps the manufacturer who hangs around these places may be able to explain?

Jeff 

I will take photos this afternoon and post them here. The flash should be easy to show but the rough surface will be hard to capture but I will try. There is a section on the left fuselage half around the engine bay (?) under the tail boom that that I might hit with some Mr Surfacer to see if it is not as rough as it looks in plain plastic.

3 hours ago, Harvs73 said:

I will take photos this afternoon and post them here. The flash should be easy to show but the rough surface will be hard to capture but I will try. There is a section on the left fuselage half around the engine bay (?) under the tail boom that that I might hit with some Mr Surfacer to see if it is not as rough as it looks in plain plastic.

David,

Sounds like you got a 'Friday Afternoon' version of the kit......Wildly different experience to that which I have encountered. It certainly sounds as if there are two different batches although we only have two accounts to go on so far. It would be good to hear from others too.

16 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

I have a copy in hand too and agree with the above wholeheartedly with @Tiger331 the kit is extremely good for a short run kit, as is the S-51 kit from AMP and long may they continue producing kits of this quality and nature. I wouldn't be suprised to learn if @Harvs73 has the Glencoe nee Lincoln kit.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

6 minutes ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Surely David Harvey knows what he's got?

Possibly, but his narrative does not bear any  resemblance to the AMP Sycamore I have in hand and I believe that is worth pointing out. If he has a rogue kit, it might be worth his while dropping Sergey a line and I'm sure he will right any wrongs.

Tommo

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

52 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I have a copy in hand too and agree with the above wholeheartedly with @Tiger331 the kit is extremely good for a short run kit, as is the S-51 kit from AMP and long may they continue producing kits of this quality and nature. I wouldn't be suprised to learn if @Harvs73 has the Glencoe nee Lincoln kit.

Tommo.

I do know what kit I have, what a ridiculous statement. A point to note, the flash present is not a war stopper, it is just annoying but easily remedied with a little bit of work as I have done with the other Limited run kits I have made eg Special Hobby, Classic Airframes etc.

g5KrPzr.jpg

M883FLA.jpg

EOWMWYl.jpg

cUcBPKW.jpg

mrfzPXt.jpg

Edited by Harvs73
  • Like 2

David,

Thanks for sharing.....I cannot disagree with your own assessment given the photographic evidence presented. Suffice to say, but that is far worse than my example of the kit (especially the roughness on the rear fuselage part). 

Mark 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, praded-dembelya said:

I agree, we have some little defect in this model. But macro somewhat exaggerates the disaster.
I almost assembled the model, and I write a list of recommendations. Soon I will provide these materials.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the problems are annoying but I don't believe they will stop the building of the kit. I think a little sanding and an undercoat will get rid of the problem near the tail boom.

Further information on the building of the kit would be appreciated as it looks straight forward but everything helps.

• Thanks 1

C’mon guys. Cut Mikro Mir some slack. It isn’t as if anyone else is offering us an injection Sycamore in 1/48! This is a short run kit. It’ll need a little bit of work. No one claimed it was a Tamigawa kit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Vlamgat9 said:

C’mon guys. Cut Mikro Mir some slack. It isn’t as if anyone else is offering us an injection Sycamore in 1/48! This is a short run kit. It’ll need a little bit of work. No one claimed it was a Tamigawa kit.

Agreed.

As I have said before my copy and others are not as bad as the copy pictured above, it just a below par shot, which in my opinion is excerbated by the macro setting of the camera.

Sergey's build looks stellar and proves it builds into a great model.

Tommo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Vlamgat9 said:

I'm not giving Mikro Mir (AMP) any grief.....on the contrary, my copy of the kit is an admirable example of a kit from a high end short run manufacturer. My input to this thread was merely to point out that my 'cracking open the box' experience differed wildly from that of other co-respondents and I would not want potential buyers being put off by an unknown quantity. With this particular kit, the manufacturer deserves every credit for delivering a kit that will, most likely, not be on the radar of one of the mainstream manufacturers.....and hopefully sales will encourage the manufacturer to look into the Belvedere in due course.

• Like 4

On 11/25/2018 at 9:05 PM, Vlamgat9 said:

Your statement brings up a few entirely different points:

1 - I have already stated that I believe the problems, including the rough bit near the tail boom, are able to be easily rectified and shouldn't stop anyone from buying or building the kit.

2 - Consistency. We have reports of this kit ranging from 'perfect' to being as per the images above with flash on the sprues and rough bits on the parts. This inconsistency is concern to me as a customer, why are there two extremes of production from the same manufacturer and the same kit?

3 - A manufacturer should never get a 'free pass' just because they produce a kit that is not produced by another manufacturer. Classic Airframes were consistently allowed to produce inaccurate and poorly fitting kits(with glowing reviews as well)  because they were the only ones making them at the time, it didn't change the fact that they were poorly fitting and inaccurate. If there is no critique then there is no drive to improve.

This kit is completely buildable with the points I brought out only meaning a little extra work to clean them up, not structural or anything like that. The sad part is, that instead of accepting the comments for what they were, there have been comments that, amongst other things, I did not even know what kit I was talking about; a Glencoe kit? Really? A 1/48 Sycamore has been produced - great! It is inconsistent in casting - not great. Is it accurate or not a pain to build - we have yet to find out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While the first boxing may be great for our Aussie modellers, I would be interested to know what subsequent boxings will be - and with the bulged clear rear doors. Hopefully with decals for a nice silver & dayglo CFS machine and a RAF Transport  Command (or Air Support Command) one from RAF Northolt?

20181128_231118_800.jpgi.gif

20181128_231025_800.jpgi.gif

7 hours ago, AMB said:

While the first boxing may be great for our Aussie modellers, I would be interested to know what subsequent boxings will be - and with the bulged clear rear doors. Hopefully with decals for a nice silver & dayglo CFS machine and a RAF Transport  Command (or Air Support Command) one from RAF Northolt?

Can I decide on options, can a respected company help? Give me photos of the ones you need.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, praded-dembelya said:

i.gif

Can I decide on options, can a respected company help? Give me photos of the ones you need.

Here are my favourite Sycamore schemes;

46050865902_81fd95c3bc_c.jpg

XF269-S-G, Sycamore HR.14, RAF-CFS, Gaydon, 19-9-64 

Central Flying School, RAF Ternhill, 1964

46101028341_e4b6785e9b_c.jpg

XG502 Sycamore HR.14 RAF Met Comms.Sq.Odiham SEP 66 

Metropolitan Comms. Sqn. RAF Transport Command, RAF Northolt, 1966 

Edited by AMB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1