Tamiya 1/48 British Sherman Ic Firefly

SimonT

Hello all,

I would like to join with a Tamiya 1/48 British Sherman Ic Firefly.  Should be mostly out of the box but some additions might find their way in.  The originals were powered by a Wright (Continental) R975 9 Cylinder Radial.

y4mlVIPvIrTENMFCjw8gvqG8te55Q9LtWylfSgaZ

y4m0yuF6W63ULXMwz_ITceoCJeq2wlP4X3SXC2bH

I hope to make a start over the next few days.

Hope that's OK?!

Simon

• Like 2

Good to see another AFV build in this GB Simon. Looking forward to seeing it in progress. I haven't got this kit so may have to see about getting hold of one at some point.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much gents.

I've stolen a few hours in the evenings over the last few days, after my little nipper has gone to bed, to get a few bits cut, cleaned and cemented:

y4mv7tFJF7ZyJDEefd7DLrQLk-X5-kKRzN0kCFDq

I diverted a little from the instructions that would have you join the bogeys and wheels all together straight away.  I'm worried how I would paint them properly that way so I decided to superglue the rear sections to the chassis but leave the rest loose until all painted.

I haven't attached the gun barrel yet, I'm still toying with the idea of getting RB Models turned barrel, though in fairness, I can't see much wrong with Tamiya's attempt, but RB Model's just looks so good...

Next a few shots of her dry fitted:

y4mUdrrLFD1630L_60DqukoIRYHmYc7V-uKYII26

y4mYHxOXrSNQmXIauk9DDmtn8MAiNBJCJ4T5GyhV

y4mgO12DhRrj_NyX1GlO70w5IRuIMlbyCg_xRHVI

y4mvl4WsBAyNOyYJwqrS-thNe-vkejvDzSAK07JS

Next up will be cleaning up the tracks and then on to priming the sub-assemblies.  Hopefully I'll order some SCC 15 tomorrow and then I can start thinking about how to jazz-up the monotone look.

Any suggestions and comments welcome :)

All the best.

• Like 7

Thanks Cliff.

Yes, the lower hull is die cast which gives some rigidity and weight to the model.

I believe the majority, but not all of Tamiya's 1/48 range of AFVs have this feature.

I think there are mixed feelings in the community about whether it compromises too much detail etc, but I don't think it matters too much on the Sherman at least, since the suspension and wheels cover up almost the entirety of the hull anyway.

I must admit, the added weight, compared to my HB KV-1 makes it "feel" more "solid" and "substantial" to me.

• Like 2

SCC 15 arrived and while I was at it, I acquired some black primer too, thought I would give that a go on this one.

Idea is to have the black as the shadow/low-lights, then the white as highlight.  Hopefully, with thin layers of the SCC 15 over the top, I might get less of a monotone effect.  We shall see.

There's an awful lot of white over-spray, my airbrush struggled with the white tonight, so it's now getting a deep clean...  Still, hopefully it will lessen the contrast anyway, here's hoping :please:

First time I'm trying this, I keep seeing it used to great effect, so worth a go!

y4mSavSta0F9EKt7nxaFJsGHsABOy7FY_oC2gIVH

y4mTJ3KZ7ZqWDieHtU0lNKb6vq2RAB6gctyDawZz

y4m0sE74Kx1GdE0E1ZYeR9EJ8sqLC57yhuBM6-5F

Any and all suggestions, comments and criticisms welcomed :winkgrin:

• Like 3

Well, a layer of SCC 15 is now drying on the Firefly, you can't quite see some of the varied tones on the photos, other than the more stark, but for a first go I'm quite pleased.

y4m90yFSY_jCL45GGeuiAZAIMMTXbtyioR_G5Dfi

y4m5Dneb44j6QSGkb4JVdAiHn7DK-UvBsvLlbA3i

On an unrelated note, has anyone used Ammo by Mig's black primer?  It clogged the airbrush despite a good clean straight after it was applied.  Any suggestions on the best thing to clean it is?  It's all clean now after stripping the airbrush down fully but wondered if there was a miracle product that broke the primer down with a general clean.

All the best!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

For such an easy build, this is taking me forever!  I've added the suspension and wheels and laid down an initial primer coat on the tracks, and then some Tamiya XF-85 Rubber Black on the relevant bits.  The model has been spray varnished with Alclad 600 Aqua Gloss (still need to do the tracks though!) and is ready for decals.

Pic below to show something has been done:

y4ml-rZeheUX33zZ3Qala7GRdCNcahVV5GqsWoRR

I'll varnish after the decals, then the plan is to do a bit of blending work with oils (new for me) before sealing that and adding washes etc.

Now, I haven't just been ignoring modelling, my efforts diverted over to something else, here!

All the best.

Edited by SimonT
Forgot to add link
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If I was any slower I'd be going backwards.  Still progress has been made despite being slow.

y4mwVLCbTjDP0HaA22bl7_qpivWNynQjfzoFWZuK

y4mglqOPpbNFZ18473Jss45nrfT1yKfjVcKd-2yl

y4mpI4gUVrZRy2G8w-imRSIRSTr52AvhNBmieUYu

You never know, I may get this finished in time... Miracles do happen, but I suppose we are approaching Christmas.

As always, any comments welcome.

Have fun!

• Like 3