Old Airfix B-17 Bit o Lace

old thumper

I finally have the feeling of seeing light at the end of the tunnel with this build.

1) Airbrushed the wingtips and tail with Humbrol insignia yellow over white primer. Humbrol insignia yellow has the consistency of ink, very poor coverage.

2) Added the landing lights, another pain, much to small needed filler.

3) Masked off the yellow painted areas, and then airbrushed the whole kit with alclad grey primer.

4) Added the first layer of polished aluminium alclad.

36831004933_2414018453_k.jpg

36790163444_b5e84febe6_k.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 6

Looking good,

It's been great watching this one build up. I am now tempted to break open one of my Airfix heavies and follow your lead. Great modelling OT.

Cheers Greg😊

• Like 1

Just pulled the masking tape off, not quite what I wanted to begin with but I am happy enough with it. 

Some work to go yet though.

The nmf is salt weathered alclad, semi matt over polished aluminium. The port wing needs salt weathering with o/d next.

37531581181_d6c658a33e_k.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 7

Nice!

You have done a great job fairing in the transparencies. I always found the Airfix clear parts to be poor fit but you've conquered the ones on your Fort. 

Keep up the good work.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

I'm at that stage now where I'm just going back over things and painting the smaller parts.

Unfortunately after the masking tape came off the chipped olive drab wing panel needed doing again. Just a bit of salt weathering was all it took.

37602584622_d4211673b8_k.jpg

And then back on to the transparencies for a tidy up. The nose had to come off for a buffing and the other parts received another layer of clear. Transparencies finished at long last.

37635159891_5aa5b3ed26_k.jpg

The engines and propellers. I have been working on these for a while, doing a little bit at a time, waiting for the paint to dry and then moving on to the next colour.

The engines are typical old Airfix with the engine and cowling moulded in one piece. The props needed glueing back together and a lot of sanding before they were even.

Tyres and wheels, again typical old Airfix .

23781743658_60744a3d09_k.jpg

23781755328_66bbc3009f_k.jpg

36924338844_63be9921d9_k.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 4

Fantastic build. You must have to keep a clear 'path to complete' in your head to be able to do the colour identifications/painting/weathering in the correct sequence. I checked back through the thread since I thought you were working to a particular photo of the real thing - can't see it now. I wondered if the blue patch on one of the engine cowlings was part of the 'patching'. Very educational.

Regards,

Mike

11 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Fantastic build. You must have to keep a clear 'path to complete' in your head to be able to do the colour identifications/painting/weathering in the correct sequence. I checked back through the thread since I thought you were working to a particular photo of the real thing - can't see it now. I wondered if the blue patch on one of the engine cowlings was part of the 'patching'. Very educational.

Regards,

Mike

That bit of blue on the cowling shows up on some old pictures. I read somewhere that B-17 cowlings were in four parts and that on one of Bit o Laces engines a replacement cowling quarter had been used, it was reckoned to have come from an aircraft belonging to a squadron that used blue instead of white on it's cowlings.

I am trying to copy pics of the real Bit O Lace that I have seen on the web, but I am not being that particular. 

• Like 1

One last picture before the transfers go on. Basically the whole thing is now painted up, Albion alloys tubing was used for most of the guns, but the upper turret has the original kit parts.

37041538163_76b03e798c_k.jpg

And one picture with transfers. Just remembered that i need to add the crew door window.

37041562803_3ad93a81bd_k.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 7

• 2 years later...
On 18/10/2017 at 21:20, old thumper said:

Thanks all. Probably the last one of these we will see being built for a while.

Check out the "Kit I built as a kid GB" you will have a pleasant surprise as this B-17 is making a come back 

I do hope mine doesn't put up the same fight that this one did, but I'd be absolutely delighted if it turns out even half as good as this one, congratulations.

Cheers Pat

• Like 3