Well, here is my latest completion the 1/48 Spitfire Vb from Airfix. Its the most recent tooling, and when completed is a good looking Spitfire.

The build was not as easy as i expected however and i fell foul of the precise engineering of the kit when closing up the fuselage, which led to problems fitting the cowling section in front of the canopy. Much teeth grinding and sanding ensued before i achieved fit of sorts. I have to say i was a bit disheartened by this what with it being new Airfix, but heyho its done. The undercarriage is a bit over complicated and weak for me so i will have to be careful when moving the model around.

Markings are from Sky Decals and represent Squadron Leader Geoffrey Northcott's machine from 402 Canadian Squadron. EP120 still flys today and was retsored to flying condition around 1980 after a stint as a gate guardian. Many of the LF (clipped wing) Spitfires were converted standard Vb's and led to them being referred to as the clipped, cropped, and clapped Spitty (some being repaired war weary examples).

Here, hopefully, are the pics. Thanks for looking, Greg.

36620712336_29e9ba634a_k.jpgIMG_2522 by G DSC, on Flickr

36667311475_98e450242b_k.jpgIMG_2521 by G DSC, on Flickr

36271197970_747572cd43_k.jpgIMG_2520 by G DSC, on Flickr

36271200530_986c686b57_k.jpgIMG_2519 by G DSC, on Flickr

35857763233_b5aa8b47ff_k.jpgIMG_2523 by G DSC, on Flickr

36271188170_c4cf5eb99b_k.jpgIMG_2524 by G DSC, on Flickr

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, celt said:

I am not a fan of the Spit,but like the look of the clipped wing versions.Well tidy model.:clap2:

Cheers Celt,

I'm pleased you like it😁

All the best Greg

Cracking Spitfire mate !

The paint Job and weathering is spot on, love also the clipped wing version, not too often seen on Spitfire builds ( incl. mine  )

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Cracking Spitfire mate !

The paint Job and weathering is spot on, love also the clipped wing version, not too often seen on Spitfire builds ( incl. mine  )

:thumbsup:

Thanks Bernd 😉

The LF version maintained the mark 5 in frontline squadrons through D day due to its great low level performance. It should get some recognition for that.

Cheers mate 

Greg

• Like 1

Just now, Hamiltonian said:

I like the posed control surfaces. Did they come separate, or did you separate them?

Hi Hamiltonian,

All the control surfaces are separate and capable of being dropped or elevated. 

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi Hamiltonian,

All the control surfaces are separate and capable of being dropped or elevated. 

Cheers Greg

Thanks for the info. I like a kit with separate control surfaces - I've had mixed fortunes carving bits off a kit and replacing them with aftermarket resin.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RMCS said:

Like it lots

43 minutes ago, SimonT said:

That's a really nice Spitfire. I very much like your weathering too, especially on the belly.

11 hours ago, WildeSau75 said:

great Spitfire - like it.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks guys much appreciated for the thumbs up.

Cheers Greg😊

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Super Spit!

Thank you! 😀

3 hours ago, Monty Python said:

Nice looking Spitfire. For some srange reason I do like the clipped wings on a Spitfire, to me it makes it look more aggressive. 

49 minutes ago, Dave N said:

Great looking Spitfire..Nice to see the Airfix Vb in the clipped wing version. Looks great in that scheme too.

10 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Cracking job!

Monty Python, Dave N and Lawzer,

Thanks for the positive feedback folks. The Vb kit comes with the parts for clipped wings but it's not noted as an option in the instructions. The grey/green scheme was available in the Sky Decals sheet.

Cheers Greg😉

On 24/08/2017 at 4:58 PM, PlaStix said:

Great looking Spitfire Greg! Very impressive finish! Very well done. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, 

Glad you liked it.

Regards Greg :yes: