1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35S "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby (GWH) - released

Homebee

I have promised some details so here is the fuselage front.

xVc8oxR.jpg 

Let’s jump into some details on the new G.W.H Su-35S kit. If not deep into the cockpit but at least have a look what is under the windscreen and around it.

This is an area for which I was fighting for. It is very annoying when you get a nice kit and the manufacturer neglects areas of the cockpit apart from the instrument panel and the side consoles. On these two you have all the dials, switches and knobs but the rest is completely neglected.

The problem is that even if it is under the windscreen, it is still visible and a lot of fine details are present here. Have to say that I was not too happy with the G.W.H MiG-29 kit as in this respect it has fallen into the same category as most other makers.

My intention was to have a change with the Su-35S kit. A detailed research was made of the real aircraft years ago in Russia. All within legal limits of course. It would have been interesting to have a really close look but Sukhoy and VVS people were not really keen on giving an opportunity for this. After all the aircraft has just entered service and the airframes literally only had a few dozen flight hours in them.

So had to rely on some detail shoots from a fair distance away. All sorts of imaginable angles, including taking photos from about 4-5 meters height.  Detailed explanation of all the panels, angles of instrument panel cover, HUD details, all the air vents and the fixing points of the panels were prepared. Sketches were made accompanied with photos. The CAD team perfectly transferred all this into a 3D design. As much as possible was made within the limits of injection moulding technology but I hope all this is on same level with some aftermarket sets. And also provides an adequate and authentic area under the windscreen for the modellers to give it a good paint job (with shades of grey) :) even if it is all black on the real aircraft.

9KkVTTI.jpg

4tRdZNt.jpg

YC4fzYK.jpg

UcALYNs.jpg

Rivet details were included at the very forward end. Here you find two ribs under the cover which connect to the 4 th Frame. On top you only see the 2 rivet lines. The instrument panel cover is made of left and right panels which are fixed at the front with in 2 places and big screws on the sides near the back. On both sides you find tubes for blowing air on the windscreen. On the left side there is an additional round air vent panel. In the middle there is the HUD “black box” which has cooling ribs on its outer sides. At the front there are traditional electronics connectors and a small camera in the centre line. In front of the HUD there is a flat transparent panel (Part E3). This is a mechanically activated “shade” made of “smoked” glass which can be raised to right angle in front of the HUD to give a contrast to the pilot when looking at the HUD symbols in strong light conditions. After the initial production series of aircraft a top cover was added to the HUD to provide another shade. It is now a standard fit on all aircraft.  

I tried to incorporate all this under the windscreen. Hope you will like.

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 4

Pardon me for being an idiot, but I gotta ask what is the different between an Su-30 and the -35? Only recently am I starting to expand my horizons and get into the Rusky aircraft including the export Su-30MKI specifically, and in saying that I continue to read that there are no accurate kits available in 1/48 of it. So with the beautiful renders of this baby I really would like to know now what the differences are?

The new G.W.H Su-35S kit provides several alternative options for the modeller. Iam speaking of the plastic parts this time. :) Let’s have a look his time at the engine exhaust.

First a full view of the bottom and of the top with two different engine exhaust settings.

WT7KOAk.jpg

sHjUwfc.jpg

Two engine exhaust versions are supplied with the kit. One with “open” petals of the exhaust showing it in a static position. Second version is for “closed” petals of a running engine. Either one can be selected, but one can also use both of them. Have a look at Su-35’s taxi from the ramp and often one exhaust is fully closed while the other one is in open position.

PZF3AH7.jpg

eXzbLpO.jpg

The modeller also has the option for the vectored thrust exhaust to be shown in a rotated position. So you will be able to build it with “hanging” exhaust the way they are seen on static aircraft. Or for that matter rotate it in any desired way, even in independent form. Once again photos show them sometime in different positions when the aircraft is powered up.

Best regards

Gabor

12 hours ago, whiskey said:

including the export Su-30MKI specifically

The Su-30MKI is a two-seater.  The Su-35S is a single seater.

The Su-30MKI has canards.  The Su-35S does not have canards.

The Su-30MKI has an airbrake.  The Su-35S does not have an airbrake. 

In terms of the broader Flanker family, it's kind of difficult to pin down since the type is so varied.  It's a lot easier to point out the differences between two specific sub-types than to say why any one is 'unique'.  Think of it like the board game Guess Who? 

5185odc1AyL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

It's not *one* specific thing that makes it unique - other variants will share some of the 'unique' characteristics - it's that the Su-35S is the only Flanker with this specific collection of features.   So compared to the initial Su-27, it is a single seater that has an offset IRST ball, revised cockpit, IFR probe, vectored thrust engines, no canards and no dorsal airbrake.  Other types have some or most of these features - the Su-27SM has an offset IRST, the Su-33 has an IFR probe, and the Su-30 has vectored thrust engines - but those other types will also lack some of the features the Su-35S has (the Su-27SM has 'normal' engines), or will have have some features that the Su-35S *doesn't* (folding wings for the Su-33, an extra seat for the Su-30).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The whole design process of the G.W.H Su-35S kit from my side started with a visit to Russia to see the real aircraft (actually two of them) and to soak in as much information about it as possible. Of course also taking thousands of photos from every possible angle. Looking at the aircraft head on, something was strange. I returned again and again to see what it was. Since the Su-35 has a distinct nose down stance it was not easy to take a full head on of the nose cone from a fair distance to minimise distortion but I managed something. From a side view it is not so apparent since it is difficult to compare distances on a curved surface. But from head on!

ATAX77H.jpg

I am sure the Sukhoy designers had a very good reason for this. The two lightning strips on the nose cone at the very top (next to the central long one) are repositioned. They are not at an equal distance from each other as all the others are. These 2 strips are further down the side of the cone and because of this the next two strips are far closer to them. Have a look at the photo I took and it will be clear what I mean. Unfortunately there was no chance to go up with a measuring tape and take exact data. I think I would have been shoot on site or be sitting in custody to this day.

How does all this affect the modeller. Well first of all if the strips are in the right place you get a more authentic kit. Second it becomes clear and very apparent when one is painting the kit and compares the demarcation line of the antiglare panel to the position of different lightning strips.

Back from the Russian visit I have checked other photos, as many as possible. And yes the distance of the “misplaced” lightning strips was there.

Please also note that the top and bottom central lightning strips go all the way to the front, stopping just short from the very tip of the nose cone.

W32fUtr.jpg

nQQNPLB.jpg

spJwD4e.jpg

The question of the actual nose cone was another subject of debate for some time. Some experts were insisting that the cone is the same. I have stated that the Su-35 has received a new nose cone. It is not only the absence of the pitot tube on the tip but also the shape. In comparison with Su-27’s a new radar, the IrbisE was installed which has differing dimensions and shape. To support my point of view dozens of photos were shown to the CAD team together with comparisons with the earlier cone. The end result can be seen on the CAD images.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor...

That's what I would call " full commitment ". For sure GWH and the community will owe you much for having  dedicated your time and passion.

A big Thank to you.

Madcop.

P.S. Would be so glad if GWH could do the same in 1/72. But in any case this one is already on the list, whatever scale !

Another detail of the new G.W.H Su-35S kit is the inclusion of the electronic warfare wing tip pods. The given name is Hibiny while the precise classification name is L-256M10. Now days on a real war mission they are a standard fit of the aircraft. It is true that the wing tip stations 7 and 8 are lost so less R-73’s can be carried but the pods have far bigger advantages. The pods were an obvious choice for inclusion in the kit!

2DMTsrK.jpg

It is interesting that the pods are not symmetrical and I don’t mean the “black boxes” inside (one is the receiver the other the transmitter pod). They are fairly different from the outside too. The right one has a small intake at the base where it attaches to wing while on the left a more traditional shaped intake is located inboard further forward. There are bigger and smaller panels, vents on them but even the position light on the outer side are in different positions. The one on the left pod is further forward. Don’t ask me why. Interesting asymmetry that’s for sure. OK it has to do with the internal arrangement of electronic panels and the small service panel which is next to the position light.

cJDsv83.jpg

MS9ywjc.jpg

Aj2RNai.jpg

On a Russian forum a question was raised by an over enthusiastic hardliner comrade on “How did the Chinese G.W.H gain access to the ultra-secret electronic pod????”. Well very simple, it has been shown very openly at different shows, for example at MAKS in Moscow even in an opened form revealing all the black boxes and electronic panels which are inside each pod. (If one is into that sort of thing) One only has to follow internet and watch occasionally Russian TV programs about the Air Force and far more information is revealed completely openly. This summer at MAKS 2017 show Red 24 (ex-Red 06) was on static display with the pods, giving a perfect opportunity to see all its details!!! This was a very big boost in designing the very fine details of the pods for the kit!

What is interesting for a modeller is how it looks like. I think the G.W.H CAD Team made a very nice reproduction of the pod.   

LChGUD0.jpg

Please note that the shape of Hibiny pods on the Su-35 are unique to this version of the Flanker. The same electronic system is used on other versions, like Su-34 or Su-30 but they have a different container.     

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 5

Question was raised about what can be reproduced in plastic from nice CAD images and what will be only a nice CAD and nothing more.

I have said that a lot of slide injection moulding was used in producing the new G.W.H Su-35S kit. There are several reason for this:

-  to make assembly easier

-  to cut down part number

-  cutting part number will positively influence the price of the kit

-  and the most important to add details which are not easy or possible at all to do with traditional production.

One example is the front gear mud guard and the ejection seat guide rail box. Both are fairly complex and there are some nice surface details. The mudguard is fairly small. Yes, it would be possible to produce separate elements of the guard layers but think about assembly that would go into it. One can do it from photoetch (sure it will be much thinner than plastic parts) but to build it and make a nice reproduction in three dimension from a 2D pieces of flat brass. Well possible, but the time and work.

With slide moulding a one piece and sturdy assembly can be produced that you paint and simply pop in place!

Same goes for the ejection seat guide rail box. Once again it is possible to do it from brass and even have a little more detail on it, but the effort put into it.

Easy assembly, user / modeller  friendly kit but still well detailed product was a primary consideration in design of the new G.W.H Su-35S kit.

Here you can see the CAD, the brake down of parts on the sprues (still CAD), the plastic sprue and the final built version.

wsgeagG.jpg

i4WNdSg.jpg

aHNw9NJ.jpg

z11mgbY.jpg

Hope you will like it.

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 1

Concerning the nose cone question.

Here a small selection of photos which I sent to G.W.H during development of the kit.

The contour of the cone on Su-35 is slightly changed. OK more than slightly since the pitot tube is removed, lightning strips are added and since the whole aircraft nose section was change its length was also changed.

But take a look from the front. The side wall of the nose cone at the base are almost completely flat surface, well a conical shape of changing diameter but its surface is almost completely flat. If it was not for the lightning strips I don’t think that I have ever noticed this. There is a very sharp brake point where the real curvature begins. Have a look at the photo that I took of the real aircraft from full head on.

7DJ53mG.jpg

Black lines were added to have a comparison.

EmEZFFZ.jpg

VVpR28v.jpg

There is a slight “brake point” on Su-27 nose cone too but it is not so prominent and the side view is more of a continuous curvature.

The last photo not by me. So sorry to the author, but I have no idea who he is. Hope he will not mind that it was used as illustration. With sun head on the distinct brake in the surface is clearly visible.

RBvjuOz.jpg  

Best regards

Gabor    

• Like 1

Here is a little glimpse into the cockpit of the new G.W.H Su-35S kit. A lot of detail went into this part of the kit. The cockpit builds up from around 40 different plastic parts to give an authentic work place.

Here is what the sprue CAD looks like

aVsVDaV.jpg

The top side walls of the cockpit (just under the ledge) have the insulating padding added on them. The forward side walls give details to the area just under the instrument panel, next to the pedals. The “pockets” on the sidewalls (at knee level) are represented. On the left it is for the red emergency brake leaver, the one on the other side serves as a map holder. In the centre the base of the control column is detailed just as the “leg room” for the pilot. The joystick is made up of two parts.

VnhwEcm.jpg

DrA1XG4.jpg

kuxV0A5.jpg 

The cockpit will take a lot of detailed painting. Hope this will not make the kit unbuildable. :D 

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 1

Several questions were raised about the engine before. One of them was about the engine trunking. Do we have it or not in the new G.W.H Su-35S kit. Well yes it is there. Parts 12, 13, 14 and 15 on sprue G build up into the engine trunking all the way up to the engine face (Parts D1 and D3).  

The single engine parts (Part H1 and H2) with all the intake details and the trunking parts build up into a complete unit.

Have a look. What do you think?

fKSFYOk.jpg

4aMPU2L.jpg

dKIXTdb.jpg

ryjB5TP.jpg

fjHfTeY.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Thank you for all the information Gabor, it is much appreciated.

However, I have asked a question previously but you could not give me a clear answer then. I was hoping you might have more info on the specific topic at this point. Will this kit have a tinted canopy? It will be a great help to the modeller as this will safe a lot of work.

Regards

Victor

Thanks for the comments. I believe that apart from manufacturing it is just as important to show what the given kit is like, advantages, what it is made of, how it was designed, ideas behind it and also who made it possible. Personally I would have like to start showing the kit much earlier to have time before its release to show what modellers can expect. I am just researcher in this project so it is not my decision “when to speak”. Just as release date, price and such are all up to the manufacturer.

Question was raised about a pilot figure in the kit. Some modellers like it, some don’t but the one who makes the decision is the manufacturer. It is a question of taste. Some manufacturers do it, others don’t. It is as simple as that.

For me as a modeller it was very interesting, a lot of fun and a hell of a lot of work in the past years to be part of this project and have a say in what is made in the kit and how it looks like.  I can only speak for myself but believe the same goes for Haneto too. It is fascinating to be able to add designs into a kit which one expects to see or is hoping that the manufacturer will make in a plastic scale kit in year 2017. But we have to keep a balance between the wants and what can be actually made in a given scale with the available technology. Believe me I would have still had more ideas . . . B)  B)  B)

With the “info packs” I try to show bits and pieces of the kit, give a bit of background, some inside stories of what the particular parts are for, why they are like that and where the original information comes from. Hope it is of interest to modellers. And also hope that there are still some interesting things that I can show in the days, weeks to come.

Of course the design work was not a smooth sailing. Have to have in mind that participants are all over the world. They are thousands of kilometres and time zones apart. There are language barriers as well as cultural. I hope people will like the end result which I have to add is not 100%. We always want more!

Any manufacturer claiming that their product is 100% and perfect is telling lies! It is inevitable that some mistakes will creep in, information lost along the lines, will go unnoticed or be a simple fluke of a computer program where data is lost between Mk.57 and Mk.58 modifications/corrections. :wall: Believe me there were many stages in this work till we arrived to plastic parts.    

The G.W.H Su-35S is a plastic kit from modellers for modellers.  

Concerning the tinted canopy. Yes, this was pointed out several times to the manufacturer. The final decision is not made by me.

Sorry Victor, this is all that I can say! ;)

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

...Any manufacturer claiming that their product is 100% and perfect is telling lies! It is inevitable that some mistakes will creep in, information lost along the lines, will go unnoticed or be a simple fluke of a computer program where data is lost between Mk.57 and Mk.58 modifications/corrections....

I totally relate to that. Just as an example, no matter how good our skills are, how good we are in scratch building, how good are our references, we can never build a perfect model. Because there will always be this little something we just found out when the project finished, or that particular side, that no matter how hard we have been looking for, there is just no photo of it!

(Yes, I am very traumatized by the fact that I cannot find any photos of the prowler birdcage avionics bay looking forward!!!)

• Like 1

A bit of fuselage details, I am sure Ken the Flankerman will appreciate this.

Some details of the fuselage shape are very difficult to see from the standard side and level view of the aircraft. This is the normal stance that photos are taken in most cases.

jYpKAkE.jpg

The Su-27 as well as the Su-35 has a complex double (it was doubt as an S shaped) curvature of the fuselage cross section around the nose near the gun. This is something that has been missed by most other Flanker kit manufacturers apart from the fantastic 72 nd scale Zvezda kit.

On the new G.W.H Su-35S kit this surface feature was reproduced. To see it better one has to take a full frontal view of the fuselage.

The bulge around the air refuelling port is also not obvious from side views. The frontal view shows this too.

B1eh3ZY.jpg

sX0MQ6U.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:24 AM, ya-gabor said:

jYpKAkE.jpg

True, true... The whole modelling world was completely out of the S-shaped LERX on the Flankers until Mr Ken Duffey noticed about it while building his Svedza kit.

Ever since I learnt about it, I couldn't look at any of my Flanker kits, so I'm totally sold on this one. It seems it's gonna be the best 1/48 Flanker kit in a decade. 

I take it that Mr Heilig is involved in the development of this kit, Ya-Gabor?

Cheers,

Unc2

PS: Incidentally; (is there) any trace of an S-shape on the LERX of the Kitty Hawk 1/48 kit?

Edited by Uncle Uncool
Typo of the long-distance-running kind.

With the option of a running engine one would also expect the additional air intakes on bottom of the intake to be in an open position. With parts D 14 and 15 a choice is provided to the modeller to do exactly this. I personally prefer the static aircraft, standing on the ramp, prepared for flight with everything “dropped” apart from the open auxiliary intakes. But of course there are people who want to have this option too, so here you have it.

laynKk6.jpg

Auxiliary intakes in closed position for static aircraft

Wdu6ctD.jpg

Auxiliary intakes in open position when engienes are running

YejTVz9.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

To make the kit as user / modeller friendly as possible some different solutions were applied on the new G.W.H Su-35S kit.

In order to authentically display a static, parking Su-35S aircraft there are several features which need to be made on the kit. Like the dropped engine exhaust but also the horizontal stabilizers are usually in a dropped position. To be more precise they have a nose up attitude of around 15 degrees due to weight of the stabilizer.

To reproduce this, the stabilizers can be moved on the new G.W.H Su-35S kit. You can position them at will, either in level position with running engines or in a dropped position (or any intermediate position if you like). All this is made possible by building up the stabilizers from several parts: B1, B2, C11, C12, C89 and C 90. The result is a complete sub assembly for each stabilizer. Use of several parts helps to give maximum surface details and to avoid those annoying shrink marks on the surface due to over thick plastic part. You have the option to position the stabilizers as you like on the finished kit.

To make it even more user friendly there is no need to glue the stabilizers in position at an early stage of building the model. You can pre paint them, which will save you on masking, it will protect the static dischargers during the build and paint job and in the end you can simply attach them to the finished kit.

SnrO7oC.jpg

5AjxF4X.jpg

K158sOF.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I wish Merry Christmas to all modellers.  :D

Best regards

Gabor

A happy Christmas time and Happy New Year to you also, and a big Thank-You for your dedication...

MAdcop :D