1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35S "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby (GWH) - released

Homebee

Great Wall Hobby is to release a 1/48th Sukhoi Su-35S "Flanker-E" kit - ref. L4820

Sources: 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154746140309147&set=gm.1933263940222820&type=3&theater

http://www.greenmats.club/topic/3850-su-35s-в-148-от-gwh-анонс/

Though THE question: Is there a new tool complete "Flanker" family in design by GWH

Considering the quality of the GWH MiG-29 "Fulcrum" family...

20979764_1542041939172531_1683170119_n.j

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

Well that's just typical :) KittyHawk up their game significantly with the Su-35 and I buy it (and some resin cones for the back), the GWH come along with this news! As you say their Mig-29 line is superb, though expensive these days. I wonder what the Flanker will cost.

• Haha 1

very welcome!

it is always good to have a choice!

I also have the KH kit and angled resin burner cans coming ;)

the GWH MiG-29 series is famous for not being an easy build though... did not start mine yet, so I am only repeating others experience.....

8 minutes ago, Wezra said:

Well that's just typical :) KittyHawk up their game significantly with the Su-35 and I buy it (and some resin cones for the back), the GWH come along with this news! As you say their Mig-29 line is superb, though expensive these days. I wonder what the Flanker will cost.

Well, a lot, but probably less than KH's offering with all the AM correction sets, so...

3 hours ago, Wezra said:

You and me both!

Good to hear although my KH kit only arrived last week. Just can't help but think 'why can't it have been a canard equipped Su-30 or a Su-25 Frogfoot'.......... maybe next time. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Just can't help but think 'why can't it have been a canard equipped Su-30 or a Su-25 Frogfoot'.......... maybe next time. 

I am sure some manufacturers will make those too, but for the moment this is all about the Su-35S in the shape as in service today in the Russian VVS. I can promise it is worth waiting for! B)

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 2

On 8/18/2017 at 11:08 AM, exdraken said:

very welcome!

it is always good to have a choice!

I also have the KH kit and angled resin burner cans coming ;)

the GWH MiG-29 series is famous for not being an easy build though... did not start mine yet, so I am only repeating others experience.....

Glad to hear others have had similar experiences with building their GWH MiG-29 Fulcrums - Don't get me wrong, I love the kit and will build more but it has not been as 'trouble-free' a build as at least two separate articles in the UK's so-called 'quality modelling press' would have one think. In spite of their assertions, I had to deviate markedly from the build sequence (not referred to once in the aforementioned articles) to get anywhere near a decent fit in one or two areas......and I have now built two of these kits. Still good to see GWH will join the fray with an Su-35 although I would have preferred a Su-27 personally     

One important question: When was the original MiG-29 kit released? Since then more than five years have passed and G.W.H has got several kits under its belt on the way! Even with the Fulcrum kit the company took extreme care to retool the press forms at considerable cost for corrections to ensure that the problems are solved. To judge someone today in 2017 by a kit from half a decade ago is not exactly right I think, especially in view of the above. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, but let’s see what this brand new kit will bring.

At the moment the G.W.H Su-35S kit is approaching us at considerable speed. I can express hope that the modelling community will like what is in the upcoming box. Believe it is important to know that the kit was researched, prepared, designed by modellers for modellers!

Best regards

Gabor   

Edited by ya-gabor
  • Like 2

Hi there

If you happen to believe all these "UK's so-called 'quality modelling press" and their associated so called "reviewer" you should have by now a big heap of crap on your loft or cellar !

On the other hand you should have become an expert on plastic colour, box quality, instructions lay out, number of parts, colour paint references and ease of build !. 

I can't remember having read in the "UK's so-called 'quality modelling press" that Eduard Bf-109 serie was just but a big com success !

There is no more independant review or reviewer. They are all sponsored and so, as you already know,  you may trust the expert reviewer when he tells you to buy the kit !

AFAIK I just believe my eyes and what my trusty fellow modellers are telling me. I stopped buying these advertisements for a while now, concentrating me more on reference books  

For these reasons I follow as much as possible these forums as they ( or some) have become the safiest place to look for informations. 

Madcop. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveJL said:

Canard equipped Su-30 series…… please GWH!!

I'd easily ditch my SOL and Wolfpack conversion....

Yes,  Su-30 MKI based Sus would be very very welcome!

Can't be too hard, can it?

The available Su-33 on the other hand is quite  are to be improved I guess...

Su-33 is confirmed not to be in development by haneto at aRC. Apparently the render I shared was from the guys who originally designed the Kinetic Su-33. Now they are upgrading and trying release under another company name....

However, haneto hinted GWH will develop other flankers. :party:

Edited by foxmulder

On 8/19/2017 at 4:41 PM, ya-gabor said:

One important question: When was the original MiG-29 kit released? Since then more than five years have passed and G.W.H has got several kits under its belt on the way! Even with the Fulcrum kit the company took extreme care to retool the press forms at considerable cost for corrections to ensure that the problems are solved. To judge someone today in 2017 by a kit from half a decade ago is not exactly right I think, especially in view of the above. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, but let’s see what this brand new kit will bring.

At the moment the G.W.H Su-35S kit is approaching us at considerable speed. I can express hope that the modelling community will like what is in the upcoming box. Believe it is important to know that the kit was researched, prepared, designed by modellers for modellers!

Best regards

Gabor   

Gabor,

In answer to your question......Yes, the 'original' GWH MiG-29 kit was released almost 5 years ago and, yes, they addressed the issue with the incorrect upper fuselage of the initial release (the one with the Syrian MiG-29 boxart) with impressive speed. In terms of the plastic, this is all they needed to do at the time and, for me at least, the absolute accuracy of the kit was no longer an issue. What the retooled corrected parts did not do, however, was improve the overall fit of the parts in the kit. This can be rectified to an extent by deviating from the recommended build sequence, as has been previously documented by myself and others on this forum in the past. One of the biggest areas of concern is the fit of the engine nacelle trunks - not helped by trying to get them to enclose the full engine detail (which cannot be seen anyway). In essence, with one or two very minor exceptions (such as the addition of early style stores pylons in at least one issue) the GWH 'Family' of MiG-29 Fulcrums remain unchanged over the years so any assessment on 'buildability out of the box is as valid today as it was on initial release of this particular kit. They are GREAT kits and I still derived great satisfaction from them in terms of modelling - they just don't go together as easily as some  reviewers (both online and in the printed media) would have us all believe. For the record, I am also in the midst of one of GWH's F-15 Eagles and the even more recent T-33 Shooting Star - both excellent kits, again, but the Eagle is no 'shake and bake' either.

To sum up, I'm a great fan and will look forward to the new Su.35S since I suspect it will still be the best one !    

• Like 1

?? What are you talking about Tiger??

I have just finished F-15J from GWH/pitroad and the fit is perfect with only but only one exception: I was not able place the exhaust/engine assemble flush to the fuselage. It was sticking out around 1-2mm . Now, I am not even sure this is a design error because I forgot to dryfit test it before I have brought whole fuselage together so maybe I did smt wrong with intake, I do not know. So, I solved it buy brute power: I cut the exhaust/engine assemble into two. First I attached the compressor face side to the end of the intake then the exhaust part to the end of the fuselage. This solved the problem. 

Other than this, the fit is literally perfect. I used zero putty. I almost felt some parts were not even require gluing, they were "click"ing to each other so well. With the exhausts you do not glue them anyway. They snug fit :D

2 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Gabor,

In answer to your question......Yes, the 'original' GWH MiG-29 kit was released almost 5 years ago and, yes, they addressed the issue with the incorrect upper fuselage of the initial release (the one with the Syrian MiG-29 boxart) with impressive speed. In terms of the plastic, this is all they needed to do at the time and, for me at least, the absolute accuracy of the kit was no longer an issue. What the retooled corrected parts did not do, however, was improve the overall fit of the parts in the kit. This can be rectified to an extent by deviating from the recommended build sequence, as has been previously documented by myself and others on this forum in the past. One of the biggest areas of concern is the fit of the engine nacelle trunks - not helped by trying to get them to enclose the full engine detail (which cannot be seen anyway). In essence, with one or two very minor exceptions (such as the addition of early style stores pylons in at least one issue) the GWH 'Family' of MiG-29 Fulcrums remain unchanged over the years so any assessment on 'buildability out of the box is as valid today as it was on initial release of this particular kit. They are GREAT kits and I still derived great satisfaction from them in terms of modelling - they just don't go together as easily as some  reviewers (both online and in the printed media) would have us all believe. For the record, I am also in the midst of one of GWH's F-15 Eagles and the even more recent T-33 Shooting Star - both excellent kits, again, but the Eagle is no 'shake and bake' either.

To sum up, I'm a great fan and will look forward to the new Su.35S since I suspect it will still be the best one !    

I am glad that you liked the Fulcrum kit, yes one needs to work on it, but the end result is fairly good I would say.

There are so many different trends of kit making around today. Some manufacturers make tons of kits with details which at first glance look fantastic but in real life are a pure fiction. Others make them fairly simple with “quick build” “fast satisfaction” as the main priority. I see a new kit coming along in 48th scale which will be very basic but accurate and should be an easy build, but here a lot of details which would have been possible to include by the production technology are on purpose “held back” to minimum with a clearly stated philosophy to sell extra-super detailed resins so one can upgrade these areas. I am not particularly a fun of this idea! Believe if we have the knowledge and the technology is given to reproduce it then why not make it good and detailed in the first place! I am sure there will be aftermarkets even for this kit, so let them be. But we wanted to include in the original plastic as much as possible to give a full satisfaction and even some extra in comparison with other kit, with the plastic as it is from the box.

Buildability is in many cases a question of modelling. No one was saying that the kits are snap-fit versions. One needs to do “some” work on them.

Although I would prefer a box with several sprues in it and a small opening on one side of the box with the marking: Fill liquid glue here and shake the box. The other opening: Fill in paint and shake.

After 10 minutes one can take out the fully built and painted kit. :D   :winkgrin:   :D

Well we are not there yet, maybe one day.

But I think I will still prefer to do some real modelling when building my kits.  

Best regards

Gabor

39 minutes ago, foxmulder said:

?? What are you talking about Tiger??

I have just finished F-15J from GWH/pitroad and the fit is perfect with only but only one exception: I was not able place the exhaust/engine assemble flush to the fuselage. It was sticking out around 1-2mm . Now, I am not even sure this is a design error because I forgot to dryfit test it before I have brought whole fuselage together so maybe I did smt wrong with intake, I do not know. So, I solved it buy brute power: I cut the exhaust/engine assemble into two. First I attached the compressor face side to the end of the intake then the exhaust part to the end of the fuselage. This solved the problem. 

Other than this, the fit is literally perfect. I used zero putty. I almost felt some parts were not even require gluing, they were "click"ing to each other so well. With the exhausts you do not glue them anyway. They snug fit :D

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment - for me perfect fit should not require the use of any plasticard shims, for example, between joints. Maybe the F-15B/D is not quite the same but mine definitely required one or two small adjustments .....nothing major but still required.........hey !.....this is what modelling is all about. Sure, I like the odd 'Shake and Bake' from Tamiya but when there is an element of true modelling required (rather than simply assembling a kit) this brings far more satisfaction which is why I like these GWH kits so much.....what I don't like is misleading magazine reviews that paint a wholly rosy picture.       

1 hour ago, Tiger331 said:

...what I don't like is misleading magazine reviews that paint a wholly rosy picture.       

I dont know if you have seen in the past the reviews I did of different kits. Usually I give to the viewers the choice of making an opinion for themselves based on the photos. This is what we intend to do in the near future with the new G.W.H Su-35S kit. You will have your own choice and be able to see what the kit is like and what it has. Hope you will like what you see!

To build the kit you will need some time, glue, few instruments, paint, lots of different paint . . .

Best regards

Gabor