1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35S "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby (GWH) - released

Homebee

• 2 weeks later...

Ya-gabor,

Thank you very much for providing us with some info regarding this exciting new release. I love the Su-35 and when another manufacturer released one recently I bought a few. But as much as I like the Su-35 I also love GWH kits.. So this is a win-win combination for me personally and I cannot wait for it.

I just have one comment/request. All previous manufacturers tooling 1/48 Su-27,30,35 kits (with the only exception being Kinetic with their Su-33) got the intakes at the bottom of the vertical tails wrong. They seem to just tool duplicate tails with the intake ending up being the same size on both left and right vertical stabilisers. On the real aircraft the vertical tails are not the same and the intakes at the bottom of the fins are not the same size. It is a small error but still visible IMHO. Oh yes, and the wheelbays should not be canted, but square with the fuselage centre line.

I really hope GWH gets this right. No reason to believe they won't, just my two pennies worth..

Regards

Victor 

Hi Victor,

Thanks for your comments.

If I remember right it was Ken the “Flankerman” who personally warned Aleksandr A. the designer of the Zvezda Su-27 that the two intakes are different at the base of the fins on the left and right side. During our visit to Zvezda he personally checked that the correction was made to the Zvezda CAD. So I know it is perfect on the Zvezda.

As for the G.W.H kit. For the design of this kit a close look was made of the real aircraft, in fact of two aircraft and they were used as basis for the kit. I travelled to Moscow and spent few days looking at the real metal to “get the feel” of it, including fine details like these small intakes. So yes they are different on the left and right side just as the fin is. They are different in many ways.

I believe the main gear box is right on the kit, as it should be on a scale copy of the real aircraft. Only the outer edge of the gear bay is at an angle to the longitudinal axis of the airframe. But this is the way it is on the real aircraft.

Best regards

Gabor  

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Thanks for your comments.

If I remember right it was Ken the “Flankerman” who personally warned Aleksandr A. the designer of the Zvezda Su-27 that the two intakes are different at the base of the fins on the left and right side. During our visit to Zvezda he personally checked that the correction was made to the Zvezda CAD. So I know it is perfect on the Zvezda.

As for the G.W.H kit. For the design of this kit a close look was made of the real aircraft, in fact of two aircraft and they were used as basis for the kit. I travelled to Moscow and spent few days looking at the real metal to “get the feel” of it, including fine details like these small intakes. So yes they are different on the left and right side just as the fin is. They are different in many ways.

I believe the main gear box is right on the kit, as it should be on a scale copy of the real aircraft. Only the outer edge of the gear bay is at an angle to the longitudinal axis of the airframe. But this is the way it is on the real aircraft.

Ya-gabor, Thank you very much for your reply. That is certainly good news 

So happy to read these news!! :party::party::penguin:

May I just ask to GWH to take all the time they need to produce a perfect kit (even though I am sure there will be some grumbling people)? 

Another question, can somebody show a picture with the difference between the aft of the intakes seeable pleeeease? I  didn't find it! :huh:

Thanks!

PZR

• 3 weeks later...

I sincerely hope that it was worth waiting for this one! Here is the G.W.H Su-35S! Have to say that a lot of work has gone into this kit. I think I did say this before but can only repeat it again: The kit was designed by modellers for modellers.

On ARC a question was asked about a separate engine.

In early design stage there were a lot of options. To have a separate engine. Well it could be, but here we would go back to the same questions as asked with the MiG-29 kit, where you either had the engine inside or just separately. If you have it on the stand separately then you will not have it inside the aircraft or there will need to be 3 engines in the kit. In terms of cost for a kit that is a lot of parts and a much higher price tag. There has to be a balance!

Today I believe that the G.W.H Su-35S kit in its present form gives that balance. Instead of an engine you will find a lot of fine details which are usually made as part of the main moulding.

Up to the time when the G.W.H Su-35S kit will be available we intend to show as much of the fore coming kit as possible.

Hope to be able to show more photos at the weeked.

We hope you will like the G.W.H Su-35S kit in 48th scale!

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Up to the time when the G.W.H Su-35S kit will be available we intend to show as much of the fore coming kit as possible.

Flanker family or completely new subjects?

For the long term, are the guys down at GWH thinking about 5th generation planes at all? News are out about J-20 being introduced officially in PLAAF.  

8 hours ago, foxmulder said:

Flanker family or completely new subjects?

For the long term, are the guys down at GWH thinking about 5th generation planes at all? News are out about J-20 being introduced officially in PLAAF.  

I am speaking about the G.W.H Su-35S in this case! All the “previews” should be about this kit.

Future plans? If you look at it this way then the G.W.H Su-35S kit is still a “future plan”, :D  it has not hit the shelves of model shops.

Anything beyond G.W.H Su-35S is pure speculation and if you look back in time, you will see that no such announcements are made so much in advance. It would be completely injudicious from a company to do this! Mind you there are other companies who in a reckless way publish completely fictitious lists of future releases. As far as I know G.W.H is not like this.

Sure everyone has plans and ideas or aircraft types that one likes but it is pointless to speak about them at this moment!

What we have on menu at the moment is the G.W.H Su-35S in 48th scale.

So lets have a look at it in the weeks ahead!

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I am speaking about the G.W.H Su-35S in this case! All the “previews” should be about this kit.

Future plans? If you look at it this way then the G.W.H Su-35S kit is still a “future plan”, :D  it has not hit the shelves of model shops.

Anything beyond G.W.H Su-35S is pure speculation and if you look back in time, you will see that no such announcements are made so much in advance. It would be completely injudicious from a company to do this! Mind you there are other companies who in a reckless way publish completely fictitious lists of future releases. As far as I know G.W.H is not like this.

Sure everyone has plans and ideas or aircraft types that one likes but it is pointless to speak about them at this moment!

What we have on menu at the moment is the G.W.H Su-35S in 48th scale.

So lets have a look at it in the weeks ahead!

Best regards

Gabor

I understand, I was just being greedy :)

I am a satisfied customer of GWH just excited about the future plans. Su-35 is an exceptional subject to choice so keep up the good work.

A question was raised over at ARC about the positioning of the flare dispensers on top of the stinger tail by another manufacturer and how wrong they were in doing this.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having the flare dispenser units (officially VB-50 unit) on top of the stinger tail. It was like that on prototypes and early planes, about a dozen of them. So if a manufacturer wants to represent these aircraft in their kit then it is OK. Some of these early “Grey” examples had the flare units repositioned to the bottom during overhaul, but not on all of them.

The G.W.H Su-35S kit represents current production version with flares on the bottom. I did recommend at an early stage to have two versions in the kit, but it would have complicated the kit, additional parts, increased costs . . .

Important design philosophy behind the G.W.H Su-35S kit was to help modellers. Make it a buildable kit without unnecessary brake down of fuselage structures. Top and bottom of the fuselage is made in one piece to:

-  help in construction,

-  make building the kit as simple as possible,

-  avoid unnecessary joint lines (which ultimately could mean unnecessary mistake and misalignments of parts bringing with it need for filler – destruction of surface details . . . )

-  correct setting of wing angles

The tail stinger is an integral part of the kit as you can see from the photos and only the brake parachute cover is given as a separate part at one end and the nose cone at the other end. To make two versions of the flare units would have complicated this and it had too many cons against the pros for this version.

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 2

On ‎2017‎/‎10‎/‎01 at 8:49 AM, ya-gabor said:

.....The tail stinger is an integral part of the kit as you can see from the photos and only the brake parachute cover is given as a separate part at one end and the nose cone at the other end. To make two versions of the flare units would have complicated this and it had too many cons against the pros for this version.

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor,

Thank you for the updates. Sadly, I see the canopy is clear, not tinted. It would have been nice if GWH supplied a tinted canopy as the real Su-35 has a tinted canopy.

Regards

Victor

14 hours ago, horrido109 said:

Gabor,

Thank you for the updates. Sadly, I see the canopy is clear, not tinted. It would have been nice if GWH supplied a tinted canopy as the real Su-35 has a tinted canopy.

Regards

Victor

I believe this has already been mentioned. The model and the sprues shown at the Japan show were the very first test examples. They are far from the final version which will be on sale!

The fact that Su-35 uses tinted canopy is pretty obvious for anyone. For me as a researcher of this project the job is to highlight the different details which should be included in the kit. Yes, the question of the tinted canopy was pointed out in documentation years ago. I am not the manufacturer, so decisions in this question are not up to me to make.

As a modeller I can only hope just as you!

Best regards

Gabor

• 1 month later...

I know you all are asking on When?

But first let me show What. What the actual GWH Su-35S kit will offer to the modellers.

Here are some overall views of the CAD’s. Shown is the full complement of weapons. In one version you can see the Hibinji Electronic Warfare pods on wing tips which have not been available till now in this scale. They are a standard fit for live missions so it was an obvious choice for this kits design and they are reproduced in fine detail in the new GWH Su-35S kit. More about them a bit later on.

GbmPvO8.jpg

vK4BHcW.jpg

5xwr6qq.jpg

Gld8BzN.jpg

There is lots more where this came from :), so more in detail views to follow soon. 

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1