1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35S "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby (GWH) - released

Homebee

On 2/4/2018 at 4:28 PM, Uncle Uncool said:

:blink2: Good Lair!

What's with that awful trench of a panel line running across the fuselage at the level of the slats? That's a turn-off to me. What happened?

Yeah, this bothers me to, seen it on few pictures.

but it won't be the turn-off for me. I think that the layer of thin Mr. surfacer along the panel line with brush would solve the problem easily. Once dried the panel line will still be visible, but not as deep/wide. Removing excess surfacer with cloth and mr. color thinner should go at the end. So, no using sanding paper in order to preserve details around. I think it should work, but still amount of work I would like to pass...

More turn off for me is the price + shipping

I've already sent email to blackmikemodels with inquiry

Edited by skuki

• 5 months later...

Yep..........I have this in the 'to do' pile. Looks like an amazing kit in the box......I just hope it will turn out to be similar to the Tamiya F-14 Tomcats in terms of buildability......not that I am averse to some modeling challenges from time to time......thats what its all about after all.

I truly hope this is the start of a Su-27/35 family of Flankers from GWH.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Was it on ARC that we had a chat about this “correction nose”. There were some interesting opinions. I would have loved to know what Aires did correct with it. Some one from Czech Republic did say that he was in contact with them and there are problems with the kit part. We never heard from Aires.

I would still love to know what it is so that next time I am more prepared a do a better design job.

The Aires “correction nose” gives the lightning strips as a raised detail. I would recommend them to have a close look at the real aircraft. The lightning strips are metal strips sank inside the glass fibre of the cone with an ever so lightly raised sides to them. On both sides. So they could have done a version where there are minute parallel, slightly raised lines enclosing an engraved line. We did try to  replicate this in the kit, but it is a bit over the top and the injection moulding tool would not make it.

Personal opinion is that they simply jumped on a bandwagon of “lets do something for this kit, no matter what. Surely back in China they did not get the lines of that nose cone right. Here is an opportunity to get few bucks”.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Was it on ARC that we had a chat about this “correction nose”. There were some interesting opinions. I would have loved to know what Aires did correct with it. Some one from Czech Republic did say that he was in contact with them and there are problems with the kit part. We never heard from Aires.

I would still love to know what it is so that next time I am more prepared a do a better design job.

The Aires “correction nose” gives the lightning strips as a raised detail. I would recommend them to have a close look at the real aircraft. The lightning strips are metal strips sank inside the glass fibre of the cone with an ever so lightly raised sides to them. On both sides. So they could have done a version where there are minute parallel, slightly raised lines enclosing an engraved line. We did try to  replicate this in the kit, but it is a bit over the top and the injection moulding tool would not make it.

Personal opinion is that they simply jumped on a bandwagon of “lets do something for this kit, no matter what. Surely back in China they did not get the lines of that nose cone right. Here is an opportunity to get few bucks”.

Best regards

Gabor

Aires goofed this up, they trusted the wrong person. Misinformation.

You got it right Gabor.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scooby said:

Aires goofed this up, they trusted the wrong person. Misinformation.

You got it right Gabor.

I know who I trust. The same man who pointed out the errors on the KH kit and was ignored. Thankfully ICM and now GWH seem to be listening.

Regrettably it isn't the first time aftermarket 'improvement' parts have turned out no better or actually worse than the kit items. Luckily the Interweb means people like me aren't caught as often. Thank You for keeping us informed! 

Certainly getting one, wasn't fussed until I saw footage of them doing their thing in Syria. Now I am :D

• Like 1

While at the Plasticova Zima Yesterdy in Bratislava I did ask the Aires guys about the Su-35S “Correct Radome”  but they were not too happy and anyway they are “just employees selling the products”, not making decisions. “You should ask” the ones in the know.

lXyByMI.jpg

A Lady kindly lent her hand for this photo to compare the G.W.H nose to the “correction nose” by Aires.

K9frOYJ.jpg

As far as the shape goes not much (none) difference so only adding the lightning strips to the outside as raised detail, and a very strong raised line that is!

I can only say:

Having had a very close look (from about 10 centimetres) of the original Su-35S nose cone in Russia and a real feel of it with my hands, I can state that the lightning strip is sunk into the nosecone surface!

Still would be interested to hear from Aires what is it exactly that they mean under

Correct Radome”.

It is never late to learn from others. Maybe they know something? I will contact them directly, received a mail address and name. I know some Czech modellers also tried in the past to ask them this question. Who knows? I will report on developments.

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 2

I did write yesterday to Aires / Quickboost  (to one of the managers who’s business card was given to me by the boys at the Aires stand at Plastikova Zima) with my inquire concerning the “Correct Radome” for G.W.H in 48 th scale kit.

The essence is:

„. . . it would be interesting to know what mistakes I made in design, so that I can learn and next time do a better job”

If I get any reply will share it so that others can learn as well.

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is planning to build a Chinese Su-35 here are some nice details from the flight line in a Chinese TV program.

For the sharp eyed modellers there are some details, including some missing in the kit but also some interesting things in the background worth making a note off.  B)   :whistle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=489&v=NCbbJsTdNxY

Best regards

Gabor

• Thanks 1

Yes the Lady who lent her hand for the photo did have a nice hand! :winkgrin:  If you read the text . . . 

It is a constant problem when making such a photo, holding the camera in one hand, the flash diffuser in the other one and one would need a third hand to hold the subject. 

Best regards

Gabor 

• Like 1

got mine this weekend!

oh my god, this is nice! and big! as is the box...

one questions for those who know, any news about an ejection seat in resin that represents the updated K36 and is better than the kit supplied one??

second, tinted or not tinted canopy? what is your verdict?

20 hours ago, exdraken said:

updated K36

It is not "up-dated", it is a brand new seat only has the name in common with predecessors.

The Russians Su-35S have a tinted canopy. Did not really look at the Chinese versions, never had a plan to build one.

Best regards

Gabor

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2018 at 11:55 AM, ya-gabor said:

Hi Gabor,  I just started my GWH Su-35 and must say it is a truly magnificent kit!  When I saw the Aires/Quickboost "corrected nose" I also wondered what was done differently from the kit part.  I quickly found that the kit part had the lightning strips as engraved lines while the resin version has them raised.  While I don't have access to the real aircraft, after studying numerous photos in my reference books and online I came to the conclusion that the strips are raised.  This photo shows the raised lines to good effect...I think.  I have the resin nose on order and once I get it will make my final decision as to which one to use.

6PwyUTX.png

On the other hand, now I'm wondering if the impression of the raised lines in the photo above is an optical illusion!  I've looked at more photos since posting this and see some where the lines appear flush. 

Is it possible that there are different types of nose cones on the real aircraft? 

Cheers,

Eric

Edited by eclarson
Further thoughts on the subject.

It is both :) How? 

The "real" metal stripes are flush to radome or maybe very slightly recessed. However they are applied in a "trench" And the walls of the trench is slightly raised. So these slight variations create shadows that make one think they are raised or recessed depending on the lighting. In 1/48 scale, both representation is acceptable in my opinion. 

dscf8808-36689879276-o.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, foxmulder said:

It is both :) How? 

The "real" metal stripes are flush to radome or maybe very slightly recessed. However they are applied in a "trench" And the walls of the trench is slightly raised. So these slight variations create shadows that make one think they are raised or recessed depending on the lighting. In 1/48 scale, both representation is acceptable in my opinion. 

Thank you for that photo and information!  It's amazing how just lighting can trick the eye in a photo.

Cheers,

Eric

• 6 months later...