1/72 Airfix Vampire T.11 - 45 Sqn. 'Operation Firedog'.

What a beauty Dave,

Fantastic subject an well executed too,..... love the helmets as well. I`m with you all of the way on the Venom!

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

A really nice looking Vampire Dave and in my favourite trainer scheme too.

I do like the finish you've achieved with the decanted Tamiya paint. That's something I've never tried before, so I may have to give it a go.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cngaero said:

A really nice looking Vampire Dave and in my favourite trainer scheme too.

I do like the finish you've achieved with the decanted Tamiya paint. That's something I've never tried before, so I may have to give it a go.

Thanks for the great comments guys.

Cngareo, the decanted AS12 does take a few coats to ensure a nice coverage however persist with it as it really does go on nicely. I thin it with Gunze Mr.Color Levelling thinner and I think I was happy after the 4th thin coat. On the other hand you could just spray this stuff straight out of the can as it seems to behave itself quite well. 

Cheers and thanks once again.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant model - I wish mine turned out  like this - but, I may be wrong on this ..... 

Given the dates of the Malysian Emergency, putting it mostly in the 1950's, my guess is that the pilots helmets would not have been white, but the silvery-grey of the MK1A bone dome. 

I'd have thought it was a time of blue 'electric hats' and silvery 'bone domes'.  The white bone domes just "don't look right for the period".

Happy if you'd prove me wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FatFlyHalf said:

Given the dates of the Malysian Emergency, putting it mostly in the 1950's, my guess is that the pilots helmets would not have been white, but the silvery-grey of the MK1A bone dome. 

I'd have thought it was a time of blue 'electric hats' and silvery 'bone domes'.  The white bone domes just "don't look right for the period".

Thanks for pointing this out.

I recall watching a few scenes from the 1957 film "High Flight" which has some great Vampire T.11 footage about half way through the movie. 

The Helmets on my kit were a late after thought and for some reason I'd always pictured these as white (for training purposes perhaps?).

anyway - I'll pay more attention to the next one, should I decide to go this way.

Come to think of it, I also recall seeing some nice old photo's of RNZAF Venoms with a kiwi emblem painted on their helmets, however cannot seem to find these images on the net.   

Cheers... Dave.     

• Like 3

A terrific looking Vampire and a great finish.  Perhaps you should put a couple of derelict Hornets in the background (sob) in lieu of Airfix coming to their senses and giving us a Venom.

• Like 1

RL,

I echo what ToT said regarding your Vampire- she's a beaut! I loved the helmets on the w/s...planning to do the same when I do my 8th FBG F-86F, as the Sabre pilots liked to perch theirs on top of the w/s, too! Nice touch, sir! Planning on a Jet Provost in the same scheme to park with it?

Mike

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, IanC said:

Neat and crisp and wonderful.

Did you use a clear coat over the silver?

Thanks Tbolt. Although my initial desire was to finish this kit without a clear coat, in the end there was too much difference in sheen between the paint and the Airfix stencil decals. As the Xtradecals sheet had a nice semi gloss finish to them, they seemed to look ok, but in the end those large red traiiing edge no walk decals looked  really dull in comparison to the rest of the kit. Here's a photo half way through the decal stage and with no clear coat. 

35814707764_07351a91a4_b.jpg

In the end I applied a number of coats of 'Pledge' and used what I would describe as a jewellers cloth to rub and buff the surface back to a nice sheen. I knew it was never going to look the same as the photo above, however I settled for the end result of a levelled finish. 

I believe that AK Interactive make a clear product that is purpose built to  cover metallic finishes without dulling it, but have yet to buy and try it as yet. 

Anyway - thanks for the great feedback...

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phat trev said:

A stunning looking Vampire and a definite nod for a new Venom in the same scale!

Just starting a 1/72 Aeroclub Venom FB4 and considering using the Airfix Vampire for spares and upgrades to this kit. 

Good luck with your Aeroclub Venom. I've never had the pleasure to own one, although if your going to source parts from a donor Vampire kit, then it does not sound like it wont be an easy build. I'm trying to figure out (besides the undercarriage) what else could you use? 

Cheers.. Dave 

5 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

A terrific looking Vampire and a great finish.  Perhaps you should put a couple of derelict Hornets in the background (sob) in lieu of Airfix coming to their senses and giving us a Venom.

I'll happily take either a DH Hornet or a Venom for 2018? I've got this wild idea to kit 'most' of 45 Squadrons aircraft (though cannot see myself rigging a Vimy or Vernon!!) I'm afraid. 

I've looked at the SH Hornet and although I could probably knock it out to look something like a Hornet, I'm not a great fan of resin or PE bits as yet. 

Cheers and fingers and toes crossed... Dave