Aoshima Gigant

Thanks guys.

So, I added more panelling work with the washes used above, and this is how it was looking after that stage

36683868361_f368064b8d_b.jpg

What I wanted to do after that was add some finer panel effects to make the whole thing seem bigger. I wasn't really sure what the best approach would be for that, but in the end I went with the simplest solution, which was to just place lots of small squares of masking tape over the surface, then give it a light over-spray. I've only done one wing so far, as I wanted to be sure it would look okay before going any further. The tape was placed fairly randomly, but I overlapped the existing panel lines in several places, to help break the finish up

35989092144_a5599b22f1_b.jpg

That area then had a very light misting of a mid grey, after which the tape was peeled away. The effect is alright, but not that dramatic. I'll stick with it and do it on the other wing and the fuselage, but I might end up adding more masked panelling, as I think it looks a bit artificial at the moment

35989090144_24bb679793_b.jpg

36652978612_29658266e9_b.jpg

It's an odd effect, as it becomes more or less apparent depending on how the light hits it, due to the masked squares still having a full metallic finish

36683865391_fdf24e1d55_b.jpg

I think I'll probably give it all a satin clear coat at the end to reduce the mismatch in reflectivity. I also want to add some discolouration in some areas. I'll probably use something like Tamiya Smoke to add some shading to the panel lines, and maybe some heat staining around the engines.

Andy

• Like 14

Am loving the colour choices....as always excellent.  This is a crazy paneling effect I've never seen before. So will be keen to see how it turns out in the end.

I agree, I think some smoke or discolouration is needed to make it a little more worn. But you're the master in aging and wear'n tear !!

While I'm here catching up, I'll also place my positive vote in for "no undercarriage". And I also think a cool base will also set it off nicely, need some distraction from that wonky stand arm. Or perhaps you can substitute the wonky arm for something straight (coming out at an angle from the base ??)

Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Interesting model Andy, but how in the name of the almighty does one direct a cartoon character?  :shrug:

Good point Sarge, I guess you threaten them with an eraser :whip: (okay, that's a whip, but inexplicably there isn't a 'being threatened with an eraser' emoji)

Okay, while I'm here, I suppose I should actually post an update, as you may be thinking that nothing has happened over the last couple of weeks. That's pretty much true, but I have managed to get the panelling effect done on the other wing (ignore the bits of tape on the wingtips. They're just to stop the paint wearing off while handling)

36325464684_6bd8cb8d27_b.jpg

When the masking was removed, the wings had a very light misting of grey to tone down the contrast between the over-sprayed areas and the masked panels. I've now got to do the same panel masking for the underside and the tail fin, and probably something on the rear engine nozzle and the cockpit area.

I've also painted the trailing edge inserts, which needed doing before I could fit the engines. They were done in Tamiya medium blue with a bit of white added into it for some highlights

36972212836_4e384c850c_b.jpg

Hopefully I should get some more work done on it this week

Andy

• Like 10

Superb. Am I wrong to think that this could be called quilting?

(I know it has a different name when used on Star Trek kits).

BTW, the scallops on the wing trailing edge. I can see the dark side of the moon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Superb. Am I wrong to think that this could be called quilting?

(I know it has a different name when used on Star Trek kits).

You can call it that if you like Pete, I'll stick to calling it bloody tedious ;)

Andy:cat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Outstanding as always, Andy.  Looks like an enormous metallic moth.:clap:  Very tough to have an interesting finish on something that large without any markings to give a sense of scale.  Pity you cannot have it hovering over a cityscape to show how vast this thing would be.  I always so enjoy your builds, so wonderful and inspiring.

Dan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2017 at 14:59, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'm still a bit leery of spraying anything metallic (not much need for tanks and I have too many bad memories of trying to completely remove Humbrol 11 from previous airbrushes). :shutup:

Try Vallejo's new(ish) metal color range. They spray well and they're easy to clean up. At a pinch you can brush paint with them too. I usually use the steel one (toned down with a wash) for machine gun barrels and similar metallic bits and bobs.

So, I though it was about time I posted something, since I've just had to dig this up from page 2 of the wip section. The break in progress wasn't due to abject laziness, just too many long days that led to a lack of energy to get much done in the evenings (there might have been a bit of abject laziness thrown in too).

I have managed to make a little bit of progress over the last couple of days. Not much though, so don't get too exited. I've finished most of the panelling on the upper side (still got a bit to do on the bottom), and I've finally got the engines fitted. They've had some Vallejo violet ink sprayed around the nozzle cones to give a heat stained effect, although it doesn't show up that well in the photos. I might intensify it a bit later on

37012984830_89075cd82f_b.jpg

I've highlighted the grills on the back edge of the wings with a pale blue to make them pop out a bit more, and the port holes/windows on the cockpit section have been painted black. I'll 'glaze' them at the end with some kristal klear. I've also painted the little bumps covering the wings (which are meant to be turrets) in a medium grey, although I might re-do them in a matt aluminium to give more contrast

37012984400_ae2409bd86_b.jpg

One of the things I've been fighting with on this build is trying to keep a sense of scale in the finish, since it's done to such a small scale (1/700). I've knocked up a quick scale comparison image to show how big this thing is, comparing it to the two most obvious subjects, the Stellar Envoy and a Lightning (okay, the two I had close to hand when I took the photos :whistle:)

37239612822_6581e1310e_b.jpg

When you see it like this, you start to see how over-prominent the panel lines look, and that it still needs a lot more fine detail to sell the scale. Not sure there's much I can do about that. Maybe some extra panel lines drawn in with a pencil?

• Like 15

Now that is coming along very nicely indeed.

I like the colours you've used for the engines, grills and the turrets.

For some reason the quilting effect doesn't seem so prominent now.

(I remembered the Star Trek word is Aztec)

As for the scale, Displayed on it's own, I think it speaks for itself.

It has 'bulk' and a sort of 'majesty' like an airborne ocean liner.

I was just wondering, how big would the runway need to be?!

• Like 1

I think the portholes and the matt finish turrets really help with the scale, to the extent that the panel lines don't bother me. They're also a lot less obvious in anything other than a top view thanks to foreshortening I wonder if some sponged washes at medium intensity would help, to give some small scale hard edges? I'm not sure where to put them though, and I'd be wary about obscuring what you've already got.

^^^ possibly teaching granny to suck eggs. But I couldn't find an egg emoticon so here's milk::milk::milk:

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

Thanks everyone,

4 hours ago, Will Vale said:

I wonder if some sponged washes at medium intensity would help, to give some small scale hard edges? I'm not sure where to put them though, and I'd be wary about obscuring what you've already got.

There are a few spots of sponged-on washes here and there, but they don't show up well over the metallic finish and the other panelling effects. I was a bit wary about going on too strong with it for the reason you mentioned, but I'll try adding some more as it needs something more random to break up the panels.

And I'll take your eggs and milk, and you can have a cake :cake:

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the abysmal lack of updates on this build. I've been overly busy with other projects for the last few weeks, but I managed to dig the Gigant out of its storage box a couple of days ago, and finally got a bit of work done on it. It is only a bit though, but it has brought it closer to being finished.

Since the last update, I've added more panelling to the underside, given the engine nozzles a little more heat staining with purple ink, and added a few panel line washes

24588065328_9c3522eb69_b.jpg

Some of the washes have been stippled over the surface as well, to break up the panels more and add some finer detail to help with the scale look. Not sure it does actually help, but it stops the surface looking boring. I've still got the glazing to paint on the rear cockpit gondola thingy

24588070768_e70aa3855e_b.jpg

The gun bay on the nose has also been painted, and the canon added. I wanted to go with green for the bay, just to add some colour to the build. I painted the canon in the same green, then picked out some details in other shades. Since I'd still got some green in the airbrush I painted the engine intake inserts, which had previously been in a gunmetal shade, again just to bring a bit of colour in. I thought it gave the whole thing a slightly Russian look, so I decided to paint the tip of the fin (see above picture) in green as well, like a dielectric panel. Not remotely accurate to the original cartoon, but I quite like the look

24588068468_e21052455c_b.jpg

The only things left now are small details, like that rear fin glazing, then I'll call it done, at least for now. I still want to do a small vignette base for it, but that's probably going to have to wait for next year now

24588073858_e549b8c8c7_b.jpg

26683450759_9f9b430d85_b.jpg

• Like 16