how to Cast fuel barrels (easy)

Jack109

Dear all friends on Britmodeller,

I need for my dioramas a lot of fuel barrels, they are a bit expensive to buy and I was wondering if I can replicate them!

(also I didnt find a lot of 20+ barrels in 1/72 to buy but only sets with other bits I dont really need )

So getting diown to business..

They have a pretty easy shape so it should not be too hard no? how to?

what material do I need? at the moment I have only milliput or candles (did I  just say something crazy? candles?) I am not sure what you recommend

they do not need to be amazing but just look credible. I know a 3d printer would help, but hey, how was it done in the old days?

Thanks a lot for your help!

edit. I checked the internet... its possible to use silicone and then put putty inside... correct? or filler its also fine?

thank you

Edited by Jack109

Best way is to make a two part master mould from silicone rubber and then cast them in resin. But it could be expensive. You can buy some moulding material called Oyumaru. It can be softened simply by placing in a cup of hot water and then you simply push the item you want to replicate into it, in your case the barrel. You can then use resin to pour into the mould and reproduce the barrel. Look up Oyumaru on YouTube there are quite a few videos of it being used.

• Like 1

I second Oyumaru. The best thing about it is that it is totally reusable. I used it to make new undercarriage doors for a Canadair Sabre using Magic Sculpt as the medium, and they looked fine for 1/72, so barrels should work out great being more solid.

thank you guys

I checked youtube and ordered blue stuff. which I guess its exactly the same thing but it cost more -_-.

Do I need to buy also the Oyumaru  or I am ok with that?

To cast do i need special resin or I am ok with putty? I have green stuff and milliput in abbundance

Both green stuff and milliput will work with no problem, consider also using plaster if it's only for a stack of barrels which once painted and placed will be stationary, whilst simple in design they'll use a lot of putty.

Blue stuff is the same kind of thing as oyumaru so no need to get more. 

There's a great video on moulding with blue stuff and resin putty on youtube and various things I've read online say that blue stuff replicates detail slightly better than oyumaru. 

The detail certainly looks good in the video. 

Thank you guys

I order it online on ebay, it comes from Spain so its not the quickest anyway I am looking forward to try

I checked in the internet for resin but seems that I need a special compressor (fridge compressor? no space for that) in the process..

I do 1/72 so the amount of putty is not a lot anyway..

this hobby get more interesting day after day!!!

One last question: Do you recommend to mix milliput and green stuff?

• 3 months later...

Hi Jack109,

I'm about to venture into casting and I was wondering if you have managed to cast any parts yet.  Did you encounter any problems or have tips/tricks you have come up with. 

I've bought some Blue Stuff but like you am wondering whether to use Milliput or Green Stuff for the medium.

Thanks

Pete