BBMF Grounded

Phil32

...according to the news. A problem has suddenly been discovered with Merlins but the Griffons are grounded too.

Does anyone have better information on what this issue is? Presumably other operators will be advised to consider their engines too?

This article from the BBC News site implies that the Griffon-engined Spitfires aren't grounded but are unavailable "for other reasons".

Whatever the problem is, nobody can blame them for taking no chances. These planes are irreplaceable.

• Like 1

I wonder if it is in any way related to the Mustang forced landing at Duxford? And then there's the matter of the skew gear. Wasn't that an issue with wartime production engines at one point - during the war? !!

Hello, one 'paper' (The Sun) has this story with the heading " WW2 jets flight ban" and goes on to mention that Spitfires, Hurricanes and the Lancaster are grounded. Nothing quite like getting the facts right, is there?

Ray

• Like 1

Ah welcome to the RNHF world of no flying although in the Roger Nigels case its down to funding as it is a charity and not a public purse thing like the BBMF and the Crimson Crabs ....fair enough that is what they chose to spend the PR budget on....whilst the RN waste it (standfast Victory) on the hysterical dockyard and pay some consultants vast amounts of money to let them syphon of the overally huge amounts of  money collected from the public....but that's just my opinion and I digress.....slightly.

:blink:

Still this gives me something to investigate at work tomorrow I'll phone up my tame crab at Coningsgrad and get the gen.

Seriously it is not a good situation but as long as it prevents them stoving in to the deck then this a good thing for both airframe and the sloppy link :rofl: and hopefully temporary.

Per astra satellite or something:yes:  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I must say that's one of the most appallingly cynical posts about service heritage I've encountered in all my time on this forum.

Which is why I can but lament the fact that I can only give one 'like' for it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XV107 said:

I must say that's one of the most appallingly cynical posts about service heritage I've encountered in all my time on this forum.

Which is why I can but lament the fact that I can only give one 'like' for it...

Aw thanks XV107 I do appreciate the like. It's what matelots do ....wonder where darbs is?

Quick look at googlepedia:hmmm: doesnt say much apart from the bit about closed skies to the EU over the usa.

Hmm that'll mean willie walsh (BA) will be up to something since we are unfortunately leaving the Union.So i guess from that angle it might be good for BA shareholders

5 hours ago, junglierating said:

Quick look at googlepedia:hmmm: doesnt say much apart from the bit about closed skies to the EU over the usa.

Hmm that'll mean willie walsh (BA) will be up to something since we are unfortunately leaving the Union.So i guess from that angle it might be good for BA shareholders

Was that one for the Open Skies thread? [the delivery date for PA474 precludes any attempted witticism about the BBMF Lanc having some difficulty in accessing European skies earlier in its career...]

Word on the street (from a concern that overhauls Merlins, and has connections with BBMF)

Routine inspection of the Hurricane oil filters post flight revealed metal contamination. This has apparently come from the reduction gear housing. These components are mostly O/E, and are now showing signs of wear/use. The housings would be inspected on overhaul, are now being checked BBMF fleet wide. The person making the statement has experience of wear of these items when performing overhauls.

13 hours ago, junglierating said:

Just to clarify, Willie Walsh is head of IAG, Alex Cruz (Alejandro Cruz De Llano) is head of British Airways.

• Like 1