Tiger I Mid Production w/interior

Thanks Spitfire

I've never had any luck doing zimmerit no matter how many different methods I have tried.  I tend to build WWII German vehicles at either early on or late in

the war when zimmerit wasn't required.  The only AFVs I have with zimmerit are the Dragon and Takom kits of Tiger IIs that came with it already moulded

on the appropriate surfaces and that's good.  Ive got to stick to the things I can make a half decent job of and trying to apply zimmerit ain't one of them.

On the other hand this Tiger may get a whitewash job as if it was on the Eastern Front in late winter 1944 or early spring 1945. (but probably no zimmerit)

I did my first whitewash on a Stug III yesterday and it turned out not bad and since a Tiger has a lot more flat surfaces and is bigger it should be even easier than

the dinky little Stug.

Questions:  Rye Field wants most of the interior painted in a light gray.  I thought the interior was mostly off white with red/brown floors

in the fighting compartment and turret and pretty much all red/brown in the engine compartment.

I shouldn't be too far wrong if I stick to the white and red colours, right?

Another strange thing is Rye Field has a photo etch rack on the floor in the turret with what appears to be 3 fuel cans or maybe water cans. Funny place for those so they may

just get forgotten. Anyone have any ideas why they would suggest this?

Appreciate any thoughts on those two mysteries.

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd, the jerry cans would used provide fresh water for the crew and petrol for the tank, and if IIRC they we're a factory fit so they perhaps shouldn't be omitted if you want to display the interior (I stand to be corrected on the factory fit statement).

I have Dragon's Tiger '131' in my stash so I'll be watching your build with interest.

I like this version of the tiger, very industrial looking, the gun and breach look like nicley  detailed parts i look forward to seeing more 

Glynn

Edited by Hewy
Spelling,

Thanks guys,

Bill I guess the jerry cans will be water jugs and I've built the PE rack so might as well use it.

I've been working on the turret cage and it's neat how they have you build everything inside an inner liner that slips up inside the outer turret shell

to simulate the armour thickness.  The fits are very precise and it should make painting easier.  Oh yes, it will be off white and brown/red  and screw 

their suggested colours.

I've skipped ahead and dry fitted the front and rear plates and the top of the hull and everything just drops into place.  I have built two previous Rye Field 

Tiger Is and this kit so far is the best fitting of the three.  They must have changed something and whatever it was I'm impressed.  Not really thrilled with the 

individual track links that look sort of like Modelkasten tracks though.

Now if I don't flub it up..........

Lloyd

I got sidetracked on a Panther with Friul tracks and my second winter whitewash attempt.

While I was at it I threw some off white paint at the turret interior and the sponsons on the main hull.  Haven't made

much progress but there's always tomorrow.  The fits are so tight on this kit that with paint in the way the parts don't join.

Geez, just noticed the breech assembly is right side up but the mantlet assembly with the mg and telescopic sight is upside down.  The mg should be on the right hand side.

I just stuck it together quick for the pics and now I know it fits either way so have to watch that on final assembly.

ajSLo9R.jpguQyCeB5.jpg

• Like 3

WOW that's very white...

i always mix my white ...

I use Tamiya White + Deck tan color (xf55) +15% of it!

You gonna make the inside open with a weathering,or sealed the whole tank?

It's a nice good looking kit u have there...

The interior looks very amazing vs dragon kits

Thanks Razzie

Actually it's Tamiya Flat White with a little XF 57 Buff added but yes, it's pretty white in these pics.

It's not so white right now as it got a wash of dirty brownish and a light wash in spots of a faded gray/black.  Brings out some details as the stark white

sort of buries everything.

The one snafu I've ran into so far is the mounting of the 3 jerry cans in a rack which ends up under the empty shell basket for the gun.

So the gun will barely elevate as the basket hits the jerry cans.  I moved the rack forward under the gunner's seat and now the gun will

elevate properly.  I suppose I could just glue the gun solid at the level position but that's cheating.

Another letdown is there isn't anything on the inside turret walls other than the one vision port on each side.  I've looked at the builds

online of the other Rye Field Tiger I version with the interior and there are items that attach to the turret walls.  Funny thing is most of

those parts are on the sprues but not mentioned in the instructions. Wish I could find the instructions fo r

For a change of pace I started on the tracks and I've got 60 of 192 links done so far.  Need another change of subject tomorrow as

the tracks aren't a lot of fun. 

Maybe skip ahead and start on the engine and transmission.  Just noticed there are 2 engines

in this kit, one must be for another version and they just included the sprue.  I have noticed there are 4 mantlets, two turret floors and roofs,

three cupolas and a whole bunch of other parts that they threw in but aren't mentioned in the instructions. Must be cheaper to include

a whole sprue even if you only need a couple of parts off of it.

The turret roof just snaps into place so it will probably be left loose.  The driver & radio operators hatches will be open and probably the

main engine access hatch.  That's about all of the access as I'll probably glue the top deck onto the hull. 

Lloyd

• Like 1

Everything below the turret ring is supposed to be a blue/gray but now I see it's too dark blue so I'll have to lighten that up somehow.

The LHS has a model of the Rye Field Eastern Front Tiger I with the interior, kit 5003,  so I copied the pages that show where the misc stuff goes on the inside turret walls.

I have the parts on the sprue in my kit 5010 so just need to see if they will fit as it looks rather bare in there now.

Lloyd

Wow, that's some nice looking kit. I'd have to put it in a dio and blow it up to expose all that gorgeous detail though. I just can't be having a 'lift the top off to see the insides' or a 'permanently dismantled' or 'cut-away' display kit.

I'm following though, because I have a Tamiya Tiger Late and Eduard PE waiting in the stash.

Oh, and as for your questions about the interior colours and parts, YES, always search the web if you can't find the answers here. It's what it's there for! :D

Rearguards

Badder

You would have to show me that.  The damned things are glued in for eternity now and I did move them back to under the empty shell basket but I

elevated the gun as much as possible and glued the sucker in place.  Who needs an elevating gun anyway?

I'll see if I can throw some white at the cans but the biggest boo boo is they are Dunkelgelb like the instructions called for, oops!!

Maybe there's a piece of tarp over them.........

Lloyd

8 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Maybe there's a piece of tarp over them.........

That's the way to go Lloyd. It's my get out for every cock up that I make.

That aside, it's coming along nicely.

John.

Thanks John

My other way out of a screw up is that big bin out back they keep emptying every week.

Thanks Chris

Other than open hatches and the turret roof removable I can't see any way to show the interior.  It's another "I know it's there" model.

Lloyd

• Like 1

I added a whole bunch of items to the inside walls of the turret now that I got the photos from the earlier kit.  Funny the parts were

on the sprue but not mentioned in the instructions.  It fills up some of the blank spaces on the turret walls.

I also managed to get the jerrycans back out and have painted them gray but yet to add the white crosses.

That's one 96 link length of track sitting on the front which isn't a lot of fun.  96 links is bad enough but there are 192 teeth to glue in place too.

Wish I could afford another set of Friul tracks but Cdn$80 per is a bit steep.

tlnlUi6.jpggoAsI5f.jpgWos5ukp.jpg0McyElN.jpg

• Like 7

If you don't mind i will give you a tip to make it some little more alive.

Vallejo 70822 and a dish sponge,dry brush the paint on paper till u get almost nothing left and then you go over those edges of the barrel tube where the ammo goes into.

And those boxen on the wall,ETC....

No harm feelings :)

Thanks Razzie

I don't have any Vallejo paints other than a couple of their washes but I'll give it a shot with some dry brushing of some darker color and maybe a little graphite pencil chipping.

This one was on hold while I mangled that T-34 but now that's done I can get back to it.  Also managed to mix up some blue/gray for the interior and will have to re-paint

the turret basket as it's too dark.

Lloyd

Hi Richard

Thanks

I managed to get a little more accomplished this evening.  The turret is a lot more weathered (dirty) inside now without that stark white look and I built up the fans and rads

for the rear and the 48 wheels.  Maybe tomorrow I'll get the interior painted so I can add the torque bars and get the wheels in place.  The engine, transmission and final drive are all painted waiting for a home.

Lloyd

Here is the turret all dirtied up with that lived in look.  The main hull is waiting for some blue/gray and red primer.

I didn't fill those two glaring punch out marks inside the empty shell basket.  I may throw a dirty piece of tissue in there to represent a canvas bottom.

1Ox1aUE.jpgCXVJn1o.jpg9VStz1Q.jpgfevICOW.jpggTyA8uz.jpg

• Like 7