1/48 Do-335A

No it isn't, and I've heard of other modellers who had issues with spraying the Hatakas. Never used it myself so I won't be too useful to you here. I use Tamiya acrylics and am very happy with them.

By the way, I think you've done a great job on the wing root. A tough fix and it will look great once painted.

Edited by Crimea River
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 9:33 PM, Crimea River said:

No it isn't, and I've heard of other modellers who had issues with spraying the Hatakas. Never used it myself so I won't be too useful to you here. I use Tamiya acrylics and am very happy with them.

By the way, I think you've done a great job on the wing root. A tough fix and it will look great once painted.

Thank you! I ended up going back to Tamiya light blue, after nearly completing the bottom with the Hataka. It does need to be thinned out, but being in a squeeze bottle makes that difficult, so I'll have to buy some jars before I try again with those. In this case, the Tamiya light blue was used to give some extra variation, lightening panel centers and just harmonizing the color while keeping it from being too mono.

I removed the sponges and reframed the gear wells in order to pix the paint around the edges, and with that done the bottom paint is done.

spacer.png

I'll give a day to dry and then lightly sand it with some fine grit sponges, then give it a sealer goat of gloss before masking and starting on the top.

More on the way. Model on!

• Like 7

I've not used the Hataka paints but I've heard their "orange" enamel? range is far better than their acrylics.

For model air paints I use UMP thinners, which works really well

https://www.umpretail.com/collections/thinner-cleaner/products/ultimate-airbrush-thinner

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

Got some paint going on the top! Rather than the Hataka, I used Tamiya XF-58 for the lighter green of the camo.

After a preshade, I kept the passes light until I liked the modulation.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Once that's dry, I'll brush it with a fine sanding pad to knock down the roughness which is really mostly felt rather than seen, and hit it with a protective gloss coat.

Once that's dry, I'll start masking for the Hataka Black Green RLM70.

Items still on the list are to complete the gear by adding the doors to the main legs, and do the resin exhausts and hand brush the nose barrels. Also complete painting the wheels that had their hubs colored as well.

Model on!

• Like 5

Just found this thread. Despite the issues, great job. Far less problems than I had with my Revell version. I've heard many problems with Hataka paint though a few say good things about it. I'm using more and more Vallejo Model Air paints though one has to be careful with the older stock, sketchy colours. I use what Vallejo recommends for thinning; 10 drops paint, 2-3 drops flow improver.....if I remember. One thing I recommend is, if you are going to mask for another colour, wait a minimum of 24hrs and then de-tack the bejaysus out of the masking tape. As for their metallic line,  I've just sprayed three shades of aluminum( one being Tamiya Flat Aluminum) on a 1:48 P-51 and no paint lifted from the masking tape. These were shot straight out of the bottle

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Christer A said:

RLM70?

I though these buggers were painted RLM82/83 on top?

No matter, since it looks good in any case! The method of polishing and glosscoating before masking is something I wholeheartedly approve of!

Thanks!

I didn't do any intense research and I'm working with colors on hand, but I did read that the bomber versions kept the earlier RLM colors. The one I chose for the lighter green looks to be a good match for the box top art work, which also changes in shade with preshading and the wash afterward.

As to glossing between coats, I figure the glossier smooth coat would give the masking tape less of a purchase than the 'rough' matte.

Thom

• Like 1

Masking all done. It's a mix of Tamiya tape and wax paper.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On the morrow I'll hit the preshades again and then switch to the dark green and get that final color on.

I still need to do the exhausts, the antenna and the gear, but hopefully I'll be close to decalling!

Model on!

• Like 5

On 22/09/2019 at 23:38, Roy vd M. said:

As it is too much of a coincidence to let this one pass by untold... today I bought one bottle of paint... just ONE, after perhaps one years of not purchasing any. The color is... RLM65, or, 71255 by Vallejo Model Air. I guess it's destiny for you, reader of this response, to grab a bottle as well! :D  

To ensure I'm not joking: 

48778325932_17f14cdee2_b.jpg 

This said, if you don't believe in destiny I guess you could try solving the Hataka issue by diluting the paint a bit. I think that should tackle it. 

Vallejo's paint is brilliant. Love it, it's what I use almost all the time.

7 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Masking all done. It's a mix of Tamiya tape and wax paper.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On the morrow I'll hit the preshades again and then switch to the dark green and get that final color on.

I still need to do the exhausts, the antenna and the gear, but hopefully I'll be close to decalling!

Model on!

Build is looking incredible so far, love the aircraft, love the model. I want to do one of these in 1/72 at some point...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Vallejo's paint is brilliant. Love it, it's what I use almost all the time.

Build is looking incredible so far, love the aircraft, love the model. I want to do one of these in 1/72 at some point...

You won't be disappointed. She is a handsome plane to have on the shelf!

I'm in the middle of putting the Hataka RLM 71 on, but with starts and stops as I have to clear the nozzle occasionally to keep it flowing good. Then I started shooting condensation as well, so I had to clean the water traps, all three of them...

Which worked fine until it did it again, so that called a pause with about 70 percent done. Clean the airbrush, let all traps and hoses dry out and I'll get back to her later.

Current whereabouts...

spacer.png

Just need to finish off the port wing and the tail area and I should be able to get that tonight. As for now, family calls!

Model on!

Thom

• Like 3

And paint on and masks off! (at least the top anyway...)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was worried that the modulations between the light and dark green might look too differential but I like what I see! The shadows in the RLM71 show up better in person, trust me!😉

Tomorrow I'll be putting on a handy-dandy latex glove and removing the bottom masking. At this point the only thing I'm worried about is the demarcation along the wing edge. I thinks that may be a wee bit wavy...

Anyhoo, model on and all that!

Thom

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Looks excellent, Thom! 👍 I’m glad that you’re resurrected this build and do the stunning painting work!

5 hours ago, Christer A said:

Beautiful finish!

Thanks! Not done yet. As stated, the demarcation on the wing leading edge is a bit wavy so I need to remask and do a little clean up, and I also missed a spot under the right elevator. The paint must (still) flow...

Model on!

Thom

• Like 1

Not sure how I missed this one but I just did a catch up and will donate a huge LIKE.

The paint has come out nicely despite all the problems, well done for persevering. 

Model on! indeed.

Pete

• Like 2

Been watching with interest. Got one in the stash, just need the confidence to go ahead and build it.

Looking good.

Great tips along the way for fellow modellers.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2019 at 1:05 AM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Looks excellent, Thom! 👍 I’m glad that you’re resurrected this build and do the stunning painting work!

It's nice to have it out and going together. It's easier to get a back-log of builds than it is to finish one.

17 hours ago, Red Dog said:

Been watching with interest. Got one in the stash, just need the confidence to go ahead and build it.

Looking good.

Great tips along the way for fellow modellers.

Glad I could help in any way possible! Even if it is just to avoid my mistakes...:drunk:

No pics at the moment. I am at work and her pre-decal gloss coat is drying. But when I get home, I'll be tackling them transfers!:yahoo:

• Like 1

Started putting the crosses and letters on the bottom! A bit slow going though as it is taking a while for the decals to break free from the backing sheet. But once there, Micro Sol/Set is bedding them down.

spacer.png

Model on!

Thom

• Like 6

Some more done on the decals - as well as some redone, and still needing to be redone...🙄 What little mistakes there are, are self-made I can assure you. The Tamiya decals are going down (when not messed with) wonderfully!

spacer.png

spacer.png

The wing crosses are from another Tam kit. With that big open area between the white angles I was worried about showing up too much, as it is there. So I had cut apart the kit's crosses and tried putting them on as four separate decals rather than one big one. Needless to say, didn't work. I had the spacing right after some fiddling, but the lengths of the white bars were just slightly off and so looked bad overall. Thankfully, I have an identical kit so I stole its wing crosses and put them on. And ruined them with Micro Sol. I think I put it on the decals too soon because, though they did ringkle up as usual, they didn't settle out. Nice wrinkles right through the 'open' space. So off came they went!

But of course, they both left melted decal residue that had to be cleaned off before the new decals went down, so that took some careful fine grade sanding. Once they were off, the replacement's replacements were put on, and once dry one (pictured) had nicely silvered... Gobsdammit! Off they will come too. I'm going to try cutting the decals into fours again, being aware now to make sure the lengths are even and doing a better job of framing the area for the decals. We'll see how it goes again.

Modelling onward!

Thom

• Like 1

Alright, corrections made quickly. I re-raided the stash and stole some white crosses from a Hobby Boss Kit. Seeing as they were a nice high gloss, I decided not to cut them apart and put them on in one go, and like the Tam decals they went down great! No silvering this time, though now I do see a slight bit of debris, like a tiny piece of hair under one of them... damn... Oh well, I'm done with the crosses!

Here are some shots of one of the new wing crosses, a close up of the side with the Tam decals and then a final of the completed port side.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Model on!

Thom

• Like 7