1/48 Do-335A

Beggar. Same old story one thing after another. I cut the crosses onto fours also to remove the excess film from all around the decals, letters too. Painstaking but worth it in the end. 

Looking now to painting most markings for that printed on look and ease of weathering them as part of the paint scheme.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot fellas! Also looking into painting them next time, but all was nearly all self inflicted, which I think is one of the last steps in my personal instruction booklet. Step 12 Frack It Up!🤣

The decals are all now under a new gloss coat before weathering. While that dries I went back to the props. I don't know if the picture on the box top is right or not, but the green si so dark they look almost black. So wanting to replicate that, and darken the shade to differentiate from the dark green used on the fuse, I hit them with rattle can Tamiya Smoke.

spacer.png

Still dark green, but darker!

Then onto the wheels. They are resin with a weighted look, but they came with a lot of pin holes. To fix that I smeared some PPP onto them and will sand that smooth when dry and then respray the tire color.

spacer.png

Still amodeling on!

Thom

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 3

Alright, getting close to finished now, which is helped with that as I reached home I found the new set of resin exhausts were here! Yay! That you very much Ultracast!

Those were quickly popped out of their bag, brushed painted flat black and then brushed with Mig rust wash.

B49EEsP.jpg

6wvyiJa.jpg

The wheels were also finished and will be mated to the gear legs tomorrow and then mounted up.

2AgUoz4.jpg

I also finished the props, taking care to 'scratch' them along the correct leading edges for a push/puller.

WmQcq9U.jpg

MoCdKQK.jpg

m5DfQsa.jpg

These were done with my preferred chipping tools...

130P57f.jpg

Then it was time for some exhaust/gun staining and I got out the chalks.

bpn2Bh6.jpg

I decided not to go too heavy on the exhaust trails and started brushing them on in the direction of airflow.

bhvC6Mx.jpg

jTRl2Xm.jpg

ZhFzAsD.jpg

Not too much more to go. I still have to put the gear on, props of course as well as the rear light, oh and take the masking off!

Model on!

Thom

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Crimea River said:

Looking great Thom. Might we have had wooden props on this bird? Not sure myself. 

Welp, she got metal props now!😅

If it turns out wood is the word though, then I can always respray the blades later on, so no biggie.

Tonight I got the gear legs in place as well as the doors. Nose wheel is also on, thought it's free to rotate on its axle. Didn't need to glue it as it is sandwiched in place.

gA533sd.jpg

hqtT8Zl.jpg

Early to work tomorrow, so no morning fun then. It'll have to be later in the day before she sits on her wheels for the first time and those masks come off.

Model on.

Thom

• Like 2

Okay, I couldn't resist! This beastly brute is up on her 'feet!'😁

Had to do a little adjusting though. The gear legs are splayed out just a smudge and, though not readily apparent, it was enough to keep the flat spots on the gear from sitting, well... flat. Rather than taking that all apart, I pulled the wheels off, as they are a snug fit, and then gently bent the axles upward.

Felt like I was on an episode of Forged in Fire with the judges screaming NO in the background but it all worked out all alright. 😅

1BlIoIh.jpg

8qDtt4d.jpg

FVzw6bC.jpg

And yes, there is that unsightly gap at the apex of fork of the nose gear. I think some PPP and gentle sanding should fix that. Also should have fixed that before I glued the gear leg in but oh well!

Model on!

Thom

• Like 3