1/48 Do-335A

Okay, back in the modeling saddle as it were... Been a little bit since I built anything with any feeling of drive being the doing, so it's good to have the mojo back!:lol:

Anyway, here is the Tamiya Do-335A 'Arrow.'

239il37.jpg

The few upgrades I'll be using...

yUIuozn.jpg

I'll also be using a PE set from Eduard for the cockpit and the gear wells.

As for the gear wells, I put in some of the PE, but also used some thin wire when the PE lines were far too fragile for these meat-hooks.

NSgQ13v.jpg

jtpQJJg.jpg

PZS9FpF.jpg

The seat, with its arms up in surrender.

rpcSGP0.jpg

And beginning to wire the dash.

vuEavI9.jpg

I used a mix of wire, electrical wire and EX line for the 'rat's' nest.

DDFMIyj.jpg

And all squeezed together for a test fit.

KvFsazp.jpg

Not the most neatly done job, but I think it looks okay.

Next, I think there'll be a little more work in the wheel bays, especially along the fuselage bulkhead, then I'll start some interior painting.

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 14

I sure hope it will be visible! :o

I think there'll be some part of it that can be seen though, however slim it may turn out to be...

At the moment, I'm drilling some holes in the the wheel bay/fuselage bulkhead in preparation for some more plumping.

It may not be this crazy, but I will try to get it close...

do335_29.jpg

• Like 3

Alright, finished with the wheel bays! Not as in 'finished to exact specifications,' but as in 'finished enough for me!':D Next time, I think I'll try that resin set...^_^

First, I drilled a few holes through.

l3iaMiu.jpg

Then I got some scrap to fill some details in.

jMWV5r5.jpg

Then I did this, got tired, and said that was enough!

It's a lot messier up close.

IDMu0FQ.jpg

Next step, start painting these things.

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Picture Day!! Updates are here.

I'm nearly done with the interior and gear bays. Paint is on and all they need now is a little weathering, then I can move onto closing up the fuselage

nd7sZbI.jpg

One of the teeny levers pinged off into the aether and was replaced with a short bit of wire.

W0GTfqr.jpg

DU1ZbDy.jpg

SrkKpQu.jpg

8p6xzhv.jpg

The instrument panel is the kit part with the detail sanded, the kit decals applied and covered with a clear coat, and then the PE (that had already been painted) added. Once the glue was dry I touched up the in-between areas with the RLM grey. The dials are not exactly centered, but it will be viewed at an angle anyway.

BI733NT.jpg

And behind.

Jx9YN2e.jpg

Again, a little scuff work to be done and then this will be ready for installation!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 12

Few steps forward, a few steps back. As it goes. I lost some PE parts along the way and a few cockpit levers that had to be replaced with wire, but getting there.

Here's a test fit I couldn't resist.

lS2BxLz.jpg

CElXeT2.jpg

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 4

Okay, some more assembly being done. First with the wings. I'll clean up their edges and do wing tip lights after they have dried.

zWU181e.jpg

Some work being done on the gear legs. Namely filling depressions in odd places...

Ll457Ql.jpg

Rear cockpit wall done, with seat installed. I bought fabric belts, not realizing how bendy they would be would come in so handy! Straight PE parts would be a horror show!

I found a pic on-line that shows the shoulder straps wrapped behind the headrest and thought that would be a nice touch. Certainly different. AS for the headrest, I didn't intend for

the paint to crackle like that, but it works as it actually looks cushion-like!

1NfWhz2.jpg

Cockpit all together.

t2FdaRa.jpg

QHuPjnW.jpg

jwEP7DM.jpg

And really trying NOT to knock the table right now!

0JsdgEC.jpg

Had a hairy moment, when Part C7, the radiator in the belly, wasn't lining up right, and with fresh glue along all the edges too! A little fiddling and it's sitting alright now.

Next is letting that dry, and then protecting the cockpit from damage as I attack all the seams.

Happy modeling!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 9

• 2 years later...

So, look what I found!!

This old thread gathering dust in the electronic hinterlands!

What actually happened though is that I decided to pull it out of its box for a look-see, and in the doing I decided to test fit a wing and then heard a distinct little 'click' and then it wouldn't come off again, so now it's in the middle of the work bench being worked on again...

Sneaky little thing.

spacer.png

Now I have to do some seam-clean around the wing..

Got more work done, such as the back piece now being in place as well as the nose cover with the gun troughs. Now that this is going, I'm going to finish it and hopefully get it to a model show on the 15th.

Model on!

• Like 9

To catch up, I put the back piece in place as there was no reason to wait for it.

spacer.png

I then moved onto the nose guns, drilling out the centers to better represent some barrels. I tooled with the idea of replacing them entirely, but that would be a lot of work and open the possibility of doing far too much damage to end up repairing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And in situ with their gun troughs, which were probably the hardest things to sand so far in the build, Tiny things, tiny!

spacer.png

After that I used a dremel to cut out the wing tip marker lights, and then sanded and cut some clear sprue to fill the voids.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Let them dry completely and I will then sand them flush and paint them the appropriate clear color, then mask for safety.

And where she is ow.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The canopy is fo course taped down to keep my fingers from wandering into the 'pit, and those air inlets are going to need some PPP for filler, but she's coming along!

Model on!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I’m surprised at the poor wing/fuselage join, not the sort of thing you would expect from Tamiya.

Is there there any way that you can prevent the other wing from locking into place so that you can test fit it first?

John

Yeah, I already sanded off the locking tab on that one. Not a nice surprise, that!

But, she'll be fine. It just means more to maneuver around while seam-cleaning.

• Like 1

Whereas you've done an amazing job on detailing the cockpit on this kit, it appears (I hope I'm wrong) you have painted it RLM02 (the same as the undercarriage bays), which is incorrect for this period. Cockpits switched from RLM02 quite early on to RLM66,  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devilfish said:

Whereas you've done an amazing job on detailing the cockpit on this kit, it appears (I hope I'm wrong) you have painted it RLM02 (the same as the undercarriage bays), which is incorrect for this period. Cockpits switched from RLM02 quite early on to RLM66,  

Thank you. And I think I did use the same paint. It'll have to stay as is though, and be something to keep in mind for the next one.

A couple of update pics. A little redo on the nose engine intake. It was sitting too proud of the surrounding area so I decided to see if it would come off for some adjusting.

Lucky me, once the tape came off, it fell right out! WOOHOO!

I sanded the backside of it to settle it in deeper into the recess, but then also had to add a bit of plastic to the bottom of the taper to help close the distance. Still not perfect, but a lot less open space in which to need filler!

spacer.png

Also a little spacer added inside the recess as the sanding wasn't even.

spacer.png

And then as said, closer is better. The white styrene was all empty space before.

spacer.png

With that fettled, it was onto the wing tip lights, which were opened up with a dremel and then a square file.

spacer.png

Cut some clear sprue...

spacer.png

And fitted them in before sanding them flush and polishing them back to a nice shine.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tis all for the nonce!

Model on!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 5

A little update for this one. These pics will be lagging a bit with where I am now as I am starting to clean the seems and then doing the wing roots.

For the gear, I'm getting them together.

spacer.png

Since this, I've painted them - and then remembered the brake lines... So, I have to do that and then repaint. That shouldn't take too long though.

And I put the other wing on, just to get a bit more of a feel of fulfillment.

spacer.png

After that, I painted the interiors of the open ports around the rail and put in the louvers. Tomorrow I'll finish the seam-cleaning and paint up the propellers and get the nose and the nose weight in place.

She's getting close to the finish line, I just need to buckle in and work on her in order to get her done for next Sunday. Doable!

Model on!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 13