Fokker DR.I "Red Baron" 1/48, Eduard

Hello guys, here is my latest finished kit - Eduard´s nice Fokker Dr.I 1/48. The kit was built as a birthday gift :) As usualy there was at least a bit of scratchbuilding, even though most of it is not visible on the finished kit :) 

- removed internal structure on the cockpit sides, made new one from evergreen stripss

- added details to the cockpit floor

- completely reworked bulk behind the seat - the seat holders were left from the original part, rest is home made from evergreen strips and tabs

- created new fuel tank to the front section

- thinned the front fuselage top part

- added padding around the cockpit from lead wire and rubber band from cable

- added details to the machine guns 

- added details and wires to the engine

Sadly one of the machine guns got broken before the photos were taken and carpet monster swallowed the tail struts and there was no time to make new one.. :(

DSCN3078.jpg

DSCN3079.jpg

DSCN3081.jpg

And finished model here :) 

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

019.jpg

017.jpg

I m not happy with the propeller  :( both back and front side were made by same process, but on the front side, the differences between dark and light wood almost disapeared :(

012.jpg

013.jpg

Well, thats it for now :) thanks a lot for looking and have a great day guys :) 

• Like 47
  • Thanks 2

Great looking Dr.I mate! It really is a striking scheme you`ve chosen.

I wish mine was half as good as yours.

The Axial logo on the propeller is upside down - the Eduard`s instruction is wrong there.

• Thanks 1

Very convincing model of 425/17, even down to the exact cockpit area scratches on the paint.  Nice work !!!

There is one feature of 425/17 that you didn't recreate however, and that is the gun padding horizontal member.  It has a characteristic cut out close to the port machine gun

UDT%20425%20close%20up.jpg

• Thanks 3

Thanks a lot guys for your amazing comments, i know there are many issues you could find on the model, but i m happy you like it :) 

To Tony - damn, i saw this photo (i tried to recreate the "scratched" or removed paint using this photo), but i never noticed the MG padding cut out... :oops:little excuse could be, i saw more zoomed out version of the photo ;) but still.. damn.. thanks for the info - i cant change it on the model as it is already away, but i can remember it for next build of this one.. :) 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Gotta love Fokker's Tripes. I'm in a WW 1 mood now, but usually do BoB subjects. Can't decide whether I have the space for a WnW 1/32 collection (where's their Dr1?) or should I plump for a 1/48 scale series from Eduard or others who've released a range in this scale. Nice amount of detail on yours though. I think you put the Fokker spec plate on the wrong side of the cowling. It's normally on the right (starb

oard) side. Great build though and suggests to me that I can avoid the expense of WnW kits. Paul

34755212005_4deb4dc312_c.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice work. I currently have the Eduard dual combo 1/48 DR I's on my workbench. After I complete a couple of other builds I hope to finish them. They are nice kits.       Bob H.

• Thanks 1