Short 184 at RNAS Newlyn.1916-18

rob Lyttle

12 hours ago, Kitkent said:

drawings! Or are they called sketches?

An interesting conundrum, Chris! 

Sketch suggests sort of loose, impromptu, of the moment I suppose. 

And these aren't really.. 

Some are quite derived from old photos and carefully drawn. 

Things like planes and cars don't tolerate inaccurate or impression style work. 

Wrongness immediately shows up and the image won't recover from it. 

So I'll go with "drawings" 🤔

I'm well into watercolour painting with all its glorious freedom of expression, but it's very hard to tame it enough to use in a context like this. 

I'll keep trying though. 

Glad you enjoyed them! 

Thanks 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Well, I've just managed to scan a couple of artworks and move the files around twixt laptop and phone etc until I got them into Flickr. 

This may appear to be straight forward stuff for anyone techsavvy and practiced in these areas, but not for me me, let me tell you..... 🤨

Still with the Short 184 of course, but more of a zoom in onto the crew on board. And then a tryout with the same image working it up with oil pastels over a mid tone paper. Such that the white of the background is applied, rather than white paper being left bare, if you get the idea. 

I'm hoping the image files aren't too big, being derived from scans which can be notoriously large. 

I'll have a go here and see what happens.... 

Short 184. Crew. Drawing

Short 184.oil pastel

That seems to be OK so I might try and do a few more. The previous images are phone-camera photos rebalanced as best I could, but I reckon scanner imaging is going to be a bit better quality wise. 

• Like 2

Thanks Keith. I must admit that a well sharpened pencil offers good control for the finer details I've developed a liking for having some figures around the machinery. Apart from offering some ideas of size and scale, it sort of takes it away from the technical drawing side of things and brings the subject to life a bit. 

And with models too, it's nice to get control surfaces moved, wheel chocks in place and some signs of activity around the place. 

IMG_20201211_175903

That's a couple of figures I worked on for the Heller Talbot Lago T26 Racer. The mechanic is from the 1.28 scale Spad biplane by Revell after a serious upgrade and makeover, and the blue driver is scratch built on a wire skeleton frame with modelling stuff. 

• Like 1

I do like that model Rob, excellent animation on the figures too!!

I have to say pencil is my favourite medium to work with. I haven't done any drawing for years now, really must pull my finger out and get something done!

Looking forward to more of your work.

Keith

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

I haven't done any drawing for years now,

I sometimes wonder if there's any mileage in the idea of a"Group Build" kind of project here in the Art department. Informal of course, I don't think Enzo Matrix has time to spare for organising that! Plus there'd be a 2 year run in....! 

But a communal thread hidden away down here......?? 

Some kind of time frame and egging each other on, might be enough to achieve some outcomes. 

Just a vague idea 

10 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

might be enough to achieve some outcomes. 

Or maybe not given my appalling record of not finishing group builds! But it's an interesting idea, I certainly need something to make me get the dust off my pencils and paper! 

K

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Those two new images looks great, the pencil schetch is also my favorite.
I’ve done some works using a cheap black ink felt pen ( not permanent ) and washed over it all with water and soak up the water with a paper towel. Gives a nice effect , if you got a nice water soluble pen. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Congratulations on the inspiring and atmospheric pictures they really are super.

I had no idea that newlyn was used as a base. Newlyn has real meaning to me as I’ve spent lots of my life down there as my uncle was a ‘crabber’ for Harvey’s. 
once again fabulous pictures 👍

• Thanks 1

On 10/08/2021 at 22:29, veg said:

Newlyn has real meaning to me as I’ve spent lots of my life down there

Cheers @veg. I lived in Pz, Newlyn, Heamoor for 40 years. Some place eh?

I'd pay good money for a Philps pasty 😇

Yes, 184s at Sandy Cove just further along from Harvey's, airship blimps at Mullion and Felixstowe flying boats on Tresco. All RNAS until amalgamation into RAF. All for anti sub and shipping protection. 

Brilliant, yep Pz, newbridge ( just before St Just) mousehole, heamoor. That’s mums side of the family. The model shop at the top of causeway head. Uncle who is the fisherman always wears a t shirt in summer that says ‘if it’s tourist season how come we can’t shoot them’

anyway I digress, beautiful art work truly stunning and apologies for thread hijack. 👍